Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a Buy To Let

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2009, 12:23 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Buy To Let

Locally here prices for two bed new build apartments are down to below 100k. just saw a repo at 81k!! With a 15k deposit rent is likely to more than cover that getting interesting out there folks!
Old 12 April 2009, 12:52 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

House prices still have a fair way to slide
Theres generally a huge glut of rental properties and tenants are demanding very cheap rents at the moment
Now isnt quite the right time to buy
Maybe in a years time things will be a bit better in terms of returns on properties and capital appreciation potential
Old 12 April 2009, 01:45 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Would be a bit of a gamble! If you struggled to rent it out and decided to offload in a couple of years it could have fallen 30-40%.

People also seem to think interest rates are going to remain low, but we're really sowing the seeds for some rampent inflation in a couple of years time. Rates of over 10% are very possible, so factor that in.

Nothing is going to change the fact that UK economy is a dire state of affairs, so it's difficult to know where is a good place to invest really. I would guess investments in countries like Brazil and India are likely to be a good medium/long term bet, but what to invest in specifically, and how to invest I wouldn't really know.
Old 12 April 2009, 03:17 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petem95
Would be a bit of a gamble! If you struggled to rent it out and decided to offload in a couple of years it could have fallen 30-40%.

People also seem to think interest rates are going to remain low, but we're really sowing the seeds for some rampent inflation in a couple of years time. Rates of over 10% are very possible, so factor that in.

Nothing is going to change the fact that UK economy is a dire state of affairs, so it's difficult to know where is a good place to invest really. I would guess investments in countries like Brazil and India are likely to be a good medium/long term bet, but what to invest in specifically, and how to invest I wouldn't really know.
We invested in brazil 2 1/2 years ago. The flats have gone from £30k to around £80 - part of that is exchange rate, but most due to increase in the property value. Don't know how long the rises will go on for.
Old 12 April 2009, 08:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Definitely lots of interesting properties out there at the mo, an area I have been looking at has two bed flats going for less than £100k and with a rental return of around £700.

I am putting a £100k offer on a £130 flat (1bed) My sister in law owns the next door and gets £725 PCM for it. Worth a try.

Granted there may be more of a drop to come, but these are long term investments 20+ years so not that fussed, as long as the rent covers the mortgage and some.
Old 12 April 2009, 09:03 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Be careful Cookie, the rentals are plummeting as mentioned above. Don't be surprised if you struggle to match the mortgage payments with rental income.
You'll do ok now but give it a year or so when interest rates inevitably climb it will be a problem.
Old 12 April 2009, 09:08 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Wow something I can agree with Pete on!