Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pipex, demanding money with menaces

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2009, 10:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pipex, demanding money with menaces

Just got back off hols, after a great day at the Anglessey circuit (cheers Simon) got back to a letter from a company called CCS Collect, I cancelled my account with Nildram Internet (aka Pipex) and was paying £25 a month for pretty poor service, hence the change to Sky which would at least have had the virtue of being cheap if it were crap (it hasnt been)

So I paid Nildram for years, and the service went down hill, I told them this several times and then got p1ssed off with them so canceled the account, got my code and the service got switched, I canceled the direct debit once it was all done and dusted, then got the off letter going on at £20 owing, just ignored it and thought they can f*ck off seeing as they were so useless and billed me incorrectly a few times like when I changed package and they said they waive the activation fee and they still charged it out of my account, I thought they would give up but no, letter off this CCS Collect demanding £190, quite how they arrive at that figure I dont know, fifty quid I might have been inclined to pay it to get them to go away but £190 seems a bit high for £20, the letter is very threatening, is there any limit on what they can demand, if they said ten grand would I have to pay it ?

I can afford to pay it but its f*cking annoying, considering Pipex/Nildram had gone from premium to appalling !
Old 10 April 2009, 10:57 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like they are a shower of chancing scamming gits, tell 'em to **** off
Old 10 April 2009, 11:35 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bit of a sticky wicket unfortunately, they did ask you for the £20, in the circumstances a strongly worded letter about why you were not going to pay it is always advisable if only to show that you dispute the debt. From their point of view you didn't pay the debt and therefore they sent it to a collection agency who have no doubt added on their charges.

I think your best chance would be a trawl through the history of your dealings with Pipex to try to justify why you did not pay and that in fact they owe you £x.

These collection agencies seem to be able to charge you more or less what they want, I had one chasing me for a debt that was nothing to do with me. I managed to get them off my back (after about 3 years!) by informing them in writing that the debt was not mine, and furthermore if I had to field any more phone calls or letters from them regarding it I would bill them £35 for my time in dealing with them.

Haven't heard from them since
Old 10 April 2009, 11:44 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

you still in wales?
if your not do you fancy a few on sat night in gatley
Old 11 April 2009, 09:35 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

We had the same with tiscali. They gave us the code to move providers and then continued charging us, so we cancelled the direct debit and got letters etc from some debt collection agency. Tiscali's agreement says something like when you receive your code, the agreement is terminated, so no more payments needed - check if Nildram has something similar because if they do, they haven't got a leg to stand on. In Tiscali's case it was a problem of UK not communicating with India and loads of mix-ups with customer service representatives who couldn't give two hoots and cut us off the phone several times (without us being rude, i might add).

Took about 4 months to sort out with Tiscali before they told the debt collection agency to bugger off on our behalf. We never got the incorrectly charged money back either.

Start off with giving Nildram a call and take it from there.

As an aside, this is why my other connection is with Zen, and I'm not moving from them to a cheap provider *ever* unless their service goes down hill. Been with them for about 5 years and have *never* had a problem with them.