Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bear Grylls

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2009, 08:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bear Grylls

Just watching him preparing a sheep for for dinner, having eaten a mini crab and god knows what else, is there anything he wont eat, I reckon he is about 100 yds away from a motorway services !

Go on, whats the worst thing you have eaten tough guys !
Old 05 April 2009, 08:03 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he sucked the liquid out of some elephant dung last week !!

ive eaten a slug once

the worst things ive eaten are brussel sprouts
Old 05 April 2009, 08:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Sprouts are ace !
Old 05 April 2009, 08:54 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

no way they are the food of satan !
Old 05 April 2009, 08:57 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Just watching him preparing a sheep for for dinner, having eaten a mini crab and god knows what else, is there anything he wont eat, I reckon he is about 100 yds away from a motorway services !

Go on, whats the worst thing you have eaten tough guys !
Ox Tongue
Old 05 April 2009, 08:58 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Once one of my mates passed out through dirty cider, It was really dirty stuff. Anyways as a survival tactic my other mate Ryan gave Baz **** to mouth. It seemed to revive Baz pretty fast, considering how much went down Baz's throat it still stunk.
Old 05 April 2009, 09:18 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

my mate would eat moths for 50p per moth

my other mate brought this bottle of drink back from abroad, and it had 3 lizards inside the bottle, we got one of the lads wasted and he ate one of the lizards

Trending Topics

Old 05 April 2009, 10:16 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I wanna see a death match with Bear Grylls vs Ray Mears and no useful tools to hand.

The rules are simple:

They are dropped off blind folded on a small remote island with only their y-fronts on and have to battle the elements and eventually each other in fight to the death.
Old 05 April 2009, 10:29 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

some of the things i've eaten.

Crickets,
Pigs intestine,
snake,
Raw Squid (Shiokara)
Blowfish (Fugu)
Octopus
Plus lots of other stuff we had in Korea and Hong Kong which I cant remember the name!

Most disgusting thing was in a bar in Hokkaido, Wasabi Beer. the taste was vile but the after taste burnt the back of my eyeballs!
Old 05 April 2009, 10:30 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i've eaten some bugs in a salad (yes they were weant to be in it) in Archipelogos restaurant up town and some kangaroo meat, lol

Archipelago Restaurant - Our Menus

highly recommend eating here if you get a chance once in your life !!
Old 05 April 2009, 11:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

He is amazing

I tried to eat an oyster once, and made a complete fool of myself. Barfed it up before it even got to base. :shudder:

Sorry, I am a wuss in the odd food department, looking at a kid with a snotty nose makes me gag.
If I was on a trek with him, I would probably die of starvation
Old 06 April 2009, 09:43 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Bear Grylls is an **** - funny how EVERY one of his 'survival' situations involved abseiling and mountain climbing - and guess what, he's into abseiling and mountain climbing.

I've yet to see many places where you cant walk around a big cliff, mountain, or hill to get up or down where you want to go.

And finding a dead sheep ( even though it was left by the farmer ) - so what ? thats hardly survival, its like going to the butchers !

I'd much rather be stranded with Ray Mears - while Bear is drinking his own **** and trying to survive on a couple of bugs, Ray knows all the plants and fungi you can eat, and would be knocking up a nice salad with boiled roots or something.

I know BG is just entertainment, but its wearing pretty thin - for one thing, he always gets 'stranded' with a cooking pot, rucksack and knife - assuming you are being stranded from a plane crash or sinking boat, how likely is it you'll have a hunting knife and cooking pot with you ?

I think I'd have to be minutes from death to drink my own **** - imagine how gutted you'd feel if you'd just done it, and eaten a couple of huge bugs, then you walk round the next corner and theres a cafe and drive through Macy D's
Old 06 April 2009, 10:11 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Re: Man Vs. Wild, Bear Grylls is a Phony
Old 06 April 2009, 10:24 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

^ hehehe BG Fail!
Old 06 April 2009, 10:36 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Bear is a ****, a useless one too and yes. He rarely stays out in the wild, hes well known for having a helicopter fly him to the nearest hotel...lol hes only known for surviving a parachute jump. hes not a survival expert in the slightest. I watched him fail to start a fire so put the hay down his jumper to keep warm instead
Old 06 April 2009, 11:34 AM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Bear is a ****, a useless one too and yes. He rarely stays out in the wild, hes well known for having a helicopter fly him to the nearest hotel...lol hes only known for surviving a parachute jump. hes not a survival expert in the slightest. I watched him fail to start a fire so put the hay down his jumper to keep warm instead
Surely that's the point, lighting a fire isn't guaranteed so you adapt and overcome.

Ray Mears shows you survival with time etc on your hands, whereas Bear shows you what you "could" do worst case scenario.

Discovery and Ch 4 both admitted some things were put in front of him and that his crew does help from time to time, hence the disclaimer at the beginning of each show, but BG has turned round and said that he shows what you "could" do "if" this situation arose.

He is also known for being the youngest Briton to climb Everest - not anymore though - 18 months after that not so successful parachute jump. Not forgetting his stint with TA SAS, easy enough I suppose

I enjoy watching both BG and RM but they are slightly different types of survival experts. Survivor man is good too by the way.
Old 06 April 2009, 12:16 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Ray Mears always seems to have a local expert or someone to get help from.

BG does do some pretty gross stuff though. Seems to love taking his boxers off & having a wee on them before wrapping them around his head.

That one where he ate the tortoise was pretty bad. He owns an island or something doesn't he.

It was funny seeing him try to catch the wile horse.
Old 06 April 2009, 12:23 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Bear Grylls claims to be ex SAS but when Andy McNab was questioned about him in an interview he said "I'm mates with the the trainers up there and none of them have heard of him"

Ray Mears however is the daddy!
Old 06 April 2009, 12:52 PM
New_scooby_04

All this stuff about him being fake makes me laugh! Of course some of that programme is filmed under controlled conditions, pretty much every wildlife/survival documentary is.

Lets review some of Bear's CV taken from his website:

Teamed with Gilo Cardozo of Parajet Ltd, Bear became the first man to fly a powered paraglider to a height above Mt Everest in the Himalaya. (click here for technical data) Sponsored by GKN, the expedition raised over $1 million for Global Angels and other charities, looking after some of the world's poorest children. (GKN Mission Everest Home)

Bear's Channel Four Series 'Escape to the Legion' airs with winning reviews and ratings. Click here for the Channel 4 website.
Bear, along with the Round the World Sailor Dame Ellen MacArthur, is awarded an Honorary Commission by the First Sea Lord and Admiralty Board of the Royal Navy, at the rank of Lieutenant-Commander. Approved by the Queen in recognition of services to Her Majesty's Royal Navy. Click here.
Bear leads the first team ever to attempt to paramotor over the remote jungle plateaux of the Angel Falls, Venezuela, in aid of the charity 'Hope & Homes for Children'. The team were attempting to reach the highest, most remote high tepuis, made famous by Conan Doyle's 'Lost World'. Click here.
Bear breaks the world record for the highest ever open air dinner party, slung under a hot air balloon at 25,000 ft. Details of this adventure, in celebration of 50 years of The Duke of Edinburgh Award, can be found on the official website. Click here for more info.

Bear leads the first team to cross unassisted the frozen North Atlantic Ocean (view website) in an open Rigid Inflatable Boat. (In aid of the Prince's Trust.)

Star of a worldwide advertising TV campaign for 'Sure for Men' Deodorant featuring Bear's ascent of Everest.
Gains a BA Hons Degree from London University (part/time) in Hispanic Studies.
Made an Ambassador for the Prince's Trust Charity, started by His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales.

Bear leads the first team to circumnavigate the UK on jetskis. (In aid of the RNLI Lifeboats.) 'Facing Up' the account of Bear's Everest ascent is published and reaches into the top 10 Best seller list.

Youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mt. Everest . (In aid of SSAFA Forces Help, the Tri-Services Charity.)

Youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mt. Ama Dablam, Himalaya, (once described by Sir Edmund Hillary as 'unclimbable'.)

1994-1997
Served with the British SAS (21 SAS). Passed UK Special Forces Selection, serving as a sabre soldier, trained in unarmed combat, desert and winter warfare, combat survival, medics, parachuting, signals, evasive driving, climbing and explosives. Served in North Africa twice. In late 1996 Bear broke his back in a free fall parachuting accident in southern Africa.

You've all seen the stuff this guy eats, I couldn't do it!!

How many of you would have the ***** to do this?

YouTube - Behind Scenes: Man vs Wild: Siberia:Under The Ice
Sure some parts of born survivor are staged, but this guy is the real deal!

What we have here is a man of remarkable resilience and courage who has done some amazing things and helped out a lot of people less fortunate than him and some keyboard heros on Youtube want to knock him for staging one scene in a sodding documentary?

Why don't we ask them something: when was the last time they climbed Everest?

To paraphrase Ghandi (IIRC) There are do-ers and there are detractors in this life, try to be in the first group, less competition there!

Never forget that!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 06 April 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:05 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
i've eaten some bugs in a salad (yes they were weant to be in it) in Archipelogos restaurant up town and some kangaroo meat, lol

Archipelago Restaurant - Our Menus

highly recommend eating here if you get a chance once in your life !!
I've been there too.

Had, Zebra, Wilderbeast, The Bug salad and a chocloate covered scorpian for desert. That was actually quite horrible.

I stil don't mind BG, but you have to put it in perspective. Watching him is like watching WWE Wrestling with the theatrical side. I prefer Survivor Man. He only does things because he HAS to. He's more like wacthing UFC compared. But Ray Mears is just like watching a brave Alan Tischmarsh.

Still all good viewing though.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:07 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I've eaten:

Snake: Not that impressed, didn't taste like very much

Bugs: Sort of huge cockroach things, steams and served with rice (in China)

*****: Of some random animal (also in China) and I'll add it was cooked and detached before you get the wrong idea

Crocodile: Uneventful, chewy

Dog: In Vietnam. At least I THINK it was dog and I was told after I'd eaten it (was in a group of 20 people for work)

Drunken Prawn: Not special apart from the prawns are live, you then put them in a bowl of sizzing sauce in the middle of the table

Monkey Brain: Seen it in China. Didn't participate. I thought it was an urban myth.

Steve
Old 06 April 2009, 01:08 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Bear Grylls claims to be ex SAS but when Andy McNab was questioned about him in an interview he said "I'm mates with the the trainers up there and none of them have heard of him"

Ray Mears however is the daddy!
Nope he is ex TA SAS but I'm sure Andy McNabs word is gospel lol
Old 06 April 2009, 01:15 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Some hilarious jealousy on this thread!!!

Anyone who becomes the youngest Brit to climb Everest, after breaking his back in a parachute jump, is OK by me. I would suggest a quick read of his book "Facing Up" recounting his Everest ascent to any keyboard warriors on here. Mind you, you'd probably get vertigo just reading about it.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:28 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

He's a Karate black belt too, so I'm guessing you wouldn't say he's a fraud to his face!

Or do you think he just went to Debenhams and got a black belt free with a pair of Chinos?
Old 06 April 2009, 01:40 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Hey there are some black belt keyboard warriors on here (gotta watch those faceroll replies, nasty things).

But as someone said earlier, BG is good when you want instant "omfgmgmgmfmgmmg how is he going to do that?! wtf did he just eat?!?!?!11"

Ray Mears is good when you actually want to learn a tid bid fact or two

but Survior Man is pretty awesome and he is becoming a favourite of mine as he actually attempts to survive with absolutely **** all or more common crap that people carry when out and about (as apposed to 'teh bears' who has his MacGuyver toolkit all the time).
Old 06 April 2009, 01:44 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Found it in a sheepskin whilst looking for the heart.

He's done loads of stuff, he's now into ninjutsu. I'm sure he can handle himself.
Old 06 April 2009, 04:44 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The thing about Ray Mears, is that you just know he ALWAYS has a little emergency supply of twix`s in his rucksack
Old 06 April 2009, 04:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
The thing about Ray Mears, is that you just know he ALWAYS has a little emergency supply of twix`s in his rucksack
He doesn't look like he has missed too many meals in his time, does he?

I enjoy his shows though, and the guy clearly knows his onions....and mushrooms....and moss etc...
Old 06 April 2009, 04:52 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

my mate would eat moths for 50p per moth

my other mate brought this bottle of drink back from abroad, and it had 3 lizards inside the bottle, we got one of the lads wasted and he ate one of the lizards
My friend used to bong moths FOC.
Old 06 April 2009, 04:57 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

All over the place in China: Along with snake and scorpions..

Steve

Quick Reply: Bear Grylls