Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How far would you go in cutting back to get your ideal car?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2009, 04:37 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far would you go in cutting back to get your ideal car?

As the title really, how far would you go?? This car ticks every box on your selection list, speed, handling, economy etc etc.

Would you live like a hermit to do it?
Old 05 April 2009, 04:50 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Nope.

What the point in having an expensive car if you can't afford to put petrol in it or live normally?
Old 05 April 2009, 04:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I agree, I would only get a car that fitted into my lifestyle and means.
Old 05 April 2009, 04:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Yes, I would make sacrifices. If it mean't not going out and wasting it on drink or posh food. If it came to buying "value range" toilet roll though (like the great unwashed), I'd have to contemplate a rethink

Done it before (made sacrifices for Scoob), would do it again no problem, if the boss didn't mind naturally.
Old 05 April 2009, 05:00 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

There is a limit COB, and that is it
Old 05 April 2009, 05:07 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I haven't had a quality holiday in seven years... I just take the dogs and go camping, combines driving the car with a break from the drab daily grind.

NO ! not using cheap bog roll for anyone....

LOL

dunx
Old 05 April 2009, 05:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the trouble, to many with a no compromise attitude and a compromised salary, everyone seems to think they deserve a nice car, holidays, gadgets etc etc, hence why we are in this mess, you pay the basics first, then make provision for unforseen circumstances and when you don;t have any debt, then perhaps its time for a nice motor.

Cars seem to be used as a mobile expression of ego and wealth, a lot of the time there is no substance to back it up, fur coat and no knickers syndrome.

So, no I wont scrimp to run a car that is better than I can really afford.

Trending Topics

Old 05 April 2009, 05:22 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I won't be scrimping that hard, but it will make things less forgiving. Instead of spending it on tat I don't need, wasting £20 a week on food at work and buying stuff I feel like.

I do so many miles now petrol is a PIA cost and this will cut it quite considerably. I'm also keeping this for the next 7 - 10 years. It will also cut my insurance bill down by 1/3rd!

I'm not the sort of person who takes overseas holidays, my holidays are archery comps where I camp.

My lifestyle is just me, and all me, basically I'm spending all my savings and a bit more.
Old 05 April 2009, 06:22 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

My Focus ST doesn't make a whole lot of sense! I'm doing ok, I'm not starving in order to pay for it but I could live a 'better' without it. That said, I don't use it much, if I had to commute in it, it would have to go. Every time I get in it, I smile and that's worth a lot to me. Without that car over the last 5 - 6 months I would have gone utterly nuts!

Plus I'm stuck with it anyway, can't afford to get out of it!
Old 05 April 2009, 06:49 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'll give you a tenner for it, Bob.
Old 05 April 2009, 07:23 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i have changed my habits but not for a new car ,i had no choice i was put on a 3 day week last year for nearly 6 months and that killed us as a family.... well not killed us but made us see sense and cut down on takeaways, stop smoking ,take packup to work ,cycle to work and now im back on a 5 day week (touch wood) i still am doing all these things and am saving a nice amount every week that if we (I) want something nice then i'll buy it .
cutting back is easy after the first month just getting used to not ordering a dodgy kebab every now and again
Old 05 April 2009, 07:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I cycle to work its great, doesn't save me much money as always end up buying cycling gear.
Old 05 April 2009, 08:01 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

nope, low on the list of my priorities. prefer motorbikes/pedal bikes.
Old 05 April 2009, 09:53 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

A lot depends on our age I think. Up to about 28, cars were my priority, but I wish to god they hadn't been.

A few years on and yes its nice to have a decent car, but the days of spending each and every month's spare cash on motor related stuff are now gone for me.

I do however still have the car that I bought and spent a small fortune on in my mid twenties, so at least the money spent isnt gone completely
Old 06 April 2009, 12:15 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Hows this for realizing I'm a dumb ***.

Had a chat with the parents earlier (their loaning me the shortfall). Mum said something that has only just hit home.

Get a car thats easily affordable now, then px it in 18 - 24 months for the impreza.

Ie: get the pre owned A3 (no where as good as the scoob, but 10K cheaper), then get the new Impreza.

When will I learn that they so speak sense!!!
Old 06 April 2009, 11:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I gave up smoking, not just for that-but it made a very big difference!

Les
Old 06 April 2009, 12:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Never had anything mega expensive but still spent far too much on cars.
Will always enjoy them but a bit more sensible these days.

You can pay two/three/four times more for a car that is a bit quicker but an only be used properly about 0.5% of the time. The rest of it's life is spent costing the owners silly money in insurance, running costs, etc.

After a quicker car (probably 335d Touring), but only if one comes up at the right price and the right time.

Too many buy a flash car for image and end up looking like muppets.
Old 06 April 2009, 12:17 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Not one bit. Car comes way down the list of priorities.
Old 06 April 2009, 12:44 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

don't understand, what car are you talking about buying ?

dont forget buying a car is easy- its running it that costs you dear.

here in bradford you see some serious motors- top end audis/bmw's/lambos/bentleys etc- but they're clearly bought on finance and spend all their time being driven by spotty yoof's in **** poor inner city areas-- yes mate yr M3/M5 Q7 is dead impressive parked outside yr 90K terraced house !!!!!

we've all killed ourselves in the past when young to get our dream cars- as you get older you realise it means sod all tbh.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:21 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My attitude has changed recently.

I'd always been of the frame of mind that if I want it, I'd spend whatever it took to get the car.

However while owning my Impreza, I was getting sick of paying £50 a week just pottering to work & back. Add that again if I was out and about, or just going out for a blast.

Now, I own a Diesel and get 38mpg. I'm saving loads of money on fuel, tax, insurance.

I would find it very hard to justify buying a performance car again as a daily driver. Yes I could afford it, but spending silly amount of money on fuel just doesn't make sense anymore.

I'd only have a performance car as a second weekend toy. But that mean spending a lot of money on a car that sits in the Garage 5/6 days a week.

I'll never go the finance route again, so I'd make a few sacrifices to save up to buy the car. That's what I'm doing now. I've nearly got the money to buy a second car now, but I'm going to wait till I've also saved enough to put the running costs away in the bank (petrol / Tax / Insurance etc ) for both cars for 3 years motoring. Only then will I buy that second car.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:37 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Stilover - very similar to you although we do have a 2nd "car" that's actually more of a boat towing lark about toy that's easy to park. It's about as high performance as a bus. But still fun.

Still - your Golf is still fairly pokey.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:51 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

What is is about people being sensible... I'm following you. I wanted a daily commuter that could put a grin on my face with AWD, and a diesel. Thats why I was looking A3 tdi quattro, 2nd hand you can get a nice 1 for 15 - 16k, and easily affordable with out too much trouble.

Problem was, it wasn't as good as it could be and left me wanting more from it. I was expecting to have to wait 6 months for a TDI Impreza test drive, that why I never asked about it. Then I find out they had 1 to drive and thats where the problem started.

Its everything I want, but without the good looks of the Audi. Its timing stinks, in 6 months time, 20k is affordable.

To answer Austinwrx, the new diesel Impreza.

Last edited by Simon C; 06 April 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06 April 2009, 03:18 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Ah- well look at the new style imprezza- you can buy a wrx for 10K.

so dropped in value by 15k in 18 mths ????

if you're going to throw 20k at a car- the world's yr oyster

you could buy a hack for work and one hell of a wrx sti instead for weekends ?

having said all that, I'll probably by a legacy or outback soon- just because I love the brand/car so much. my impreza has been faultless.

no vw I've had, has ever been so good (and I must have had about 15 !!! don't ask !!!)

although new impreza sti--------- tempting.
Old 06 April 2009, 03:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Here's an interesting(ish) car quandry a mate of mine currently has:

He recently bought an E46 M3. He loves the power and sound but actually found his old (slightly hotted up) MX-5 more fun to drive and is thinking of getting another in place of the Bimmer.

He says the M3 is fun but costs more than twice as much as the MX-5 to run and drinks loads of fuel. He has plenty of money but still finds the Mazda more enjoyable overall.

So expensive cars don't always make sense.
Old 06 April 2009, 03:44 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

sitting in the glorious sunshine in the french alps after a hard days skiing (in T-Shirts) with my wife and three of my kids, I only buy cars i can pay cash for, hence its about 8k max, but I do holiday big time

so like most of the above, I wouldn't even trim my coffee and parmesan bill
Old 06 April 2009, 03:45 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I think once you've had them the novelty wears off.
Old 06 April 2009, 03:49 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Giving up things you like to buy an Impreza, or indeed any hotted up hatchback/family car is a major major FAIL whatever way you look at it.

I won't be now OK I won't be buying a new bow or arrows when I feel like it, but thats not the end of the world.
Old 06 April 2009, 03:53 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Here's an interesting(ish) car quandry a mate of mine currently has:

He recently bought an E46 M3. He loves the power and sound but actually found his old (slightly hotted up) MX-5 more fun to drive and is thinking of getting another in place of the Bimmer.

He says the M3 is fun but costs more than twice as much as the MX-5 to run and drinks loads of fuel. He has plenty of money but still finds the Mazda more enjoyable overall.

Its very true. I think fun factor is more important then the posing factor.

There are probably a few cars out there that are cheap and put a big smile on your face. I used to have a Clio 182 and loved it!!! Bought a 330ci convertible and got bored of it very quickly

Quick Reply: How far would you go in cutting back to get your ideal car?