Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Your comments please (music stuff)

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2009, 06:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your comments please (music stuff)

On this album www.jameslockmusic.com

My lad has prepared this as a kind of show case to send to a few contacts in the business and see what happens! It's not studio quality by any means.

He is off to LA on Friday where his pal plays in a band and knows a few musical folk out there.

So what do you think even if it's not your style?

I can say a hell of a lot of work went into it!!

Thanks, David

PS. I know there are some typos on the page but these are being corrected.
Old 31 March 2009, 06:33 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Talented Lad

Hope I word this right. Every song sounds different. Sometimes bands/singers have a hit with one song and the next release sounds very similar. You lad has managed to make them all different. Excellent stuff and good luck to him
Old 31 March 2009, 10:03 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David

Just listening to this just now and the thing that really jumps out at me is that I would recommend that he changes the order (assuming this is going to be the order of an e.p. or even just to change the order on his website)

My thinking is that 'Tired of Me' is a really strong and upbeat song but it's screaming out for a quite powerfull female backing vocal (maybe the female voice repeating 'there ain't no time' and 'forever takes too long'). I'm just worried that for a first track it may not hold a new listeners attention throughout.

I'd put 'Daughters' as a first track, although mellower, there is so much (vocally) going on and it would make me interested to see what track 2 would have to offer. I'd put 'Tired of Me' 2nd.

However, it's damned fine, it held my attention, it's been well done and I wish him all the best.

Old 31 March 2009, 10:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Not bad, not bad at all! Nice work James! You've got a talented son David.

My only criticism would be that the website could do with a little work. I'd say drop the James Lock wording and picture size down by 50% as to me it's just a little too big.

Last edited by Markus; 31 March 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01 April 2009, 12:47 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the above really helpful comments. They are genuinely appreciated

Interesting about the song order and I rushed the list out but James wants to change it around so we'll get on the case. There are about another 10 songs but we want to keep some back.

I think the page is a bit squashed and the photo is a bit pretentious but that's all we had that was presentable.

Thanks again and glad you liked the songs which is the most important bit!! I'll pass on your comments and I know that will cheer him up (as he really, really put his life and soul into this album).

David
Old 01 April 2009, 06:34 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
David

Just listening to this just now and the thing that really jumps out at me is that I would recommend that he changes the order (assuming this is going to be the order of an e.p. or even just to change the order on his website)

My thinking is that 'Tired of Me' is a really strong and upbeat song but it's screaming out for a quite powerfull female backing vocal (maybe the female voice repeating 'there ain't no time' and 'forever takes too long'). I'm just worried that for a first track it may not hold a new listeners attention throughout.

I'd put 'Daughters' as a first track, although mellower, there is so much (vocally) going on and it would make me interested to see what track 2 would have to offer. I'd put 'Tired of Me' 2nd.

However, it's damned fine, it held my attention, it's been well done and I wish him all the best.

OK Si,

We've changed the song order roughly as suggested. And tidied up minor typos on site.

Anyone else?

David