Redundancy Related

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 09:26 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Redundancy Related

Morning,

I was made redundant last year, and I noticed yesterday that my old role has been recreated and advertised.

Is there a time limit on how long a company has to wait before they can change their mind and re-create a role? I've heard six months mentioned a few times, in which case I've go no case, but if it's 6-12 months, then I have. There doesn't seem to be anything concrete on the old interweb on the matter.

Cheers
Old 30 March 2009, 10:44 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redundancies are usually based on financial circumstances - if you were in manufacturing and there were no orders, you expect to be made redundant, if 6 weeks later a huge order is received, the employer would be advertising for staff and you could re-apply (I think if it's within 4 weeks, your length of service continues from before as weel).

If your role was redundant at the time and isn't now, you'd probably have a hard time proving otherwise as the economy is changing so rapidly in different areas.

And anyway, this page at the TUC would seem to indicate unfair dismissal claims can only be done in the three months after dismissal.
Old 30 March 2009, 12:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

6 months between redundancy and readvertising / recreating the post if i recall

otherwise there are potential problems (unfair dismissal etc..)

been there and done it

forget about it.... whats done is done

Mart
Old 30 March 2009, 12:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I've always heard 6 months, but couldn't find it written down anywhere. It has to be exactly the same role, same job description etc..

If you are currently not in work, why not apply?

Steve
Old 30 March 2009, 01:28 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

To be honest, I came out of it with far more than my redundancy anyway, but I never signed anything to say I wouldn't follow up with further action, so can't complain

At the time, I was getting legal advice, and I was told that if I went for unfair dismissal, there was a real danger that I might get my job back, (bullet proof case) so given the amount of money put on the table, I was advised to take it and run.