Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Green shoots of recovery in America!

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2009, 08:59 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green shoots of recovery in America!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Gold-falls-second-day-US/story.aspx?guid={38642642-3BF0-4A7F-B54E-DEDE70F5359A}

Especially for

1) njkmrs

2) sunnyside up

3) stevebt

sorry can't get the link to work. Go to www.kitco.com and its the first story in the mddlie that starts ' gold falls for second day.....'

Last edited by Deep Singh; 17 March 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 17 March 2009, 10:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Americans will pull us out of this due to there absurd optimism, can do spirit and ingrained aspirational spirit

they put a man on the moon for fvck sake
Old 17 March 2009, 10:36 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Funny that - some of the big IT firms I spoke to this morning reported sales activity has increased - one said "ballistic" - not sure if it is public sector ***** spending budget before april??

Last edited by what would scooby do; 17 March 2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 17 March 2009, 10:47 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

What America does, we will follow ......... it's starting to look up across the world - looks like Brown has pulled the world back from the brink??
Old 17 March 2009, 11:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Funny that - some of the big IT firms I spoke to this morning reported sales activity has increased - one said "ballistic" - not sure if it is public sector ***** spending budget before april??
it will be
Old 17 March 2009, 11:25 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
it will be
thought so
Old 17 March 2009, 11:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still pulling it out the ground in Joburg !
Old 17 March 2009, 11:44 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

We've had plenty of false dawns! Early in the year the stock markets would rally and crash every other week. They seem to have settled down a bit until recently, and I suspect we're back into the crash-rally sort of thing!..

The markets might pick up a bit, and then we'll get the next biggie like GM or AIG going under.

Anyone who thinks things will suddenly improve, and we'll go back to 'normal' in a year or so just doesnt understand the severity of the whole situation!

Even if this whole mess bottoms out now, it'll be many years until we really see a proper recovery.
Old 17 March 2009, 11:52 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I think this year is going to be the first in many when my home PC does't get its yearly upgrade paid for by work.

If there is no more bad news things might stablise. If (and it might be just around the corner) some of the insurance/investment companies pipe up and claim poverty then things will slide even further. Theres been bad news from Standard Life, Norwich "Change your name as much as you like your still sh1te" Union and Legal & General. Not to mention some of the smaller investment houses having troublesome funds that have stalled.

When the bad news stops things will begin to improve.
Old 17 March 2009, 11:55 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I believe that, as it crashed so quickly, it will also rebound quickly too ......... by the time we realise it has recovered we will be there.

The US housing market and toxic mortgages were the driving force ..... the US housing market is now recovering - won't be long before we follow suit.
Old 18 March 2009, 07:22 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Gold-falls-second-day-US/story.aspx?guid={38642642-3BF0-4A7F-B54E-DEDE70F5359A}

Especially for

1) njkmrs

2) sunnyside up

3) stevebt

sorry can't get the link to work. Go to Kitco - Gold Precious Metals - Buy Gold Sell Gold, Silver, Platinum - Charts, Graphs, Prices, Quotes, Gold Stocks, Mining Stocks, bullion dealers and its the first story in the mddlie that starts ' gold falls for second day.....'

Hey thanks Deep .
I had not seen that info .
Glad you come over to the bright side .!!!!
As said ,we follow America ,so the Germinating process has been successful and them little shoots will be poking through the soil any time now .!!
What with all this sunshine we are having ,its no wonder things are looking up even sooner than I said .
Old 18 March 2009, 07:33 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I believe that, as it crashed so quickly, it will also rebound quickly too ......... by the time we realise it has recovered we will be there.

The US housing market and toxic mortgages were the driving force ..... the US housing market is now recovering - won't be long before we follow suit.
Dead cats bounce if you drop 'em from high enough - so they say
Old 18 March 2009, 07:39 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

Good luck with that theory.

I'll still with what the major UK economists are forecasting - there will be false dawns over the next year and we will spend the next 10 years coming out of this recession.
Old 18 March 2009, 06:40 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Indeed, today the IMF predicted that we'll still be in recession next year and predicts our econmony will take the longest to recover. Seems odd they can say that while the government have being telling us we're best placed to see out this recession
Old 18 March 2009, 06:42 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Gorgon meant we will be best placed to see out this recession because we will be seeing it out for longer.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:06 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
We've had plenty of false dawns! Early in the year the stock markets would rally and crash every other week. They seem to have settled down a bit until recently, and I suspect we're back into the crash-rally sort of thing!..

The markets might pick up a bit, and then we'll get the next biggie like GM or AIG going under.

Anyone who thinks things will suddenly improve, and we'll go back to 'normal' in a year or so just doesnt understand the severity of the whole situation!

Even if this whole mess bottoms out now, it'll be many years until we really see a proper recovery.

On a serious note mate;

I know you know as well as me that equities are usually the first to rise, whilst unemployment may still be rising and property falling.

Therefore, if we intend to make any money from equities we are going to have to be brave and get in early or miss the boat.

I'm not saying now is the time, my original title post was tongue in cheek, but to make real money from stocks we will need to buy whilst there is still 'blood on the street'
Old 18 March 2009, 08:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Gold has gone up about 6% in the last hour. The Fed are dropping money from helicopters.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The housing market in america will be getting better as it has been suffering for the same year and a half we have, so it doesn't take much to bring it back from the bottom. Obviously the housing marklet will not go back to 2 years ago level of builds but it is steadily rising. Once the housing market recovers you will see it pass onto others. I hope it doesn't last much longer than this year as it will be over 2 years of slow/no work for the housing industry
Old 18 March 2009, 08:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The US housing slump has been going on much longer than ours Steve.

They were well into it when we sold our house, and everyone here thought I was mad saying it wouldn't happen here.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice one john It makes me laugh how america goes on about its war on terrorism and the country nearly brings down the whole world with its greed in banking and housing sales!
Old 18 March 2009, 08:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

in my view it will rebound quite quicky and we will be back to insane lending and another "new paradigm" in asset values quite soon

this, if you like, is the WW1 of financial diasters, complete with the "never again" sentiments. The next crash will be WW2/Nuclear, when people will really cotton on to whats happening

where is any coherant left wing analysis of this disaster, I haven't heard much.
Old 18 March 2009, 09:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The gold price It is going mental. Never have I seen such a movement in 90 minutes. I have long positions, but if I had as much on it now as I previously had I would have been making £100 a minute in the last 90 minutes.
Old 18 March 2009, 09:13 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Five redundancies at our place, the first since the company founded 25 years ago.
Green shoots my ****.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:28 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
The gold price It is going mental. Never have I seen such a movement in 90 minutes. I have long positions, but if I had as much on it now as I previously had I would have been making £100 a minute in the last 90 minutes.
I think thats because it fell initially below $900 for the first time in two months, this must have been a buying point for many who seized the opportunity and jumped in.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

The $ is dropping against the £ at last!
$1.37 this morning, now $1.43!
Hope the Fed pump more in, I'll get a better exchange rate next week
Old 18 March 2009, 10:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
The $ is dropping against the £ at last!
$1.37 this morning, now $1.43!
Hope the Fed pump more in, I'll get a better exchange rate next week
Don't worry, the euro will tank soon aswell. All those former eastern block countries are on the verge of bankruptcy
Old 18 March 2009, 11:01 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Hey, I'm not bothered about the Euro!
I've got a 3 week holiday to Japan and Hawaii in two weeks so I want a good exchange rate ASAP!

Mind you, I bought J¥137000 for £1k a few weeks back.
Down to 132 now
Old 18 March 2009, 11:09 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95

Wholesale/retail downsizing of stock levels due to uncertain demand.... Presumably, they have to re-stock at some point, even if it's at lower levels.

Now it's generally end-of-year and the TPTB have taken action to ease cashflow and there's "some" stability, I'd expect things to settle around 4000 for a while. - Then notes that the FTSE has actually fallen today - LOL.

There's still a lot of nerves around. I'd expect optimism in the face of no bad news but sell offs if something goes too pear shaped. Gradual recovery punctuated by crevasses IMO.
Old 18 March 2009, 11:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It wouldn't surprise me to see FTSE at 3000 this year, I might even buy if it does.
Old 19 March 2009, 09:22 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
On a serious note mate;

I know you know as well as me that equities are usually the first to rise, whilst unemployment may still be rising and property falling.

Therefore, if we intend to make any money from equities we are going to have to be brave and get in early or miss the boat.

I'm not saying now is the time, my original title post was tongue in cheek, but to make real money from stocks we will need to buy whilst there is still 'blood on the street'
Yeah totally agree with you about stocks rising before the rest of the ecomony, as has been the case historically anyway, but I think potentially we could be heading for a similar situation to Japan in the 90's, where we get a decade long (at least) slump. If you look at the performance of the Nikki between the early 90's and now, then trend has been downwards. Shares only look cheap compared to recent highs, so they're difficult to value really. i don't doubt the FTSE will go up for a while when it's clear the 'worst is over', but I don't think by as much as some people are hoping!

Difficult to know where to invest at the moment really. I got a fair bit into fixed rate bonds at the right time, but as these mature in the next year or two I'm not sure what I'll end up re-investing. Unless we end up getting massive inflation from all this money being pumped into the system, then I expect I'll being going for things like zopa and blue chip shares which pay good dividends!

Quick Reply: Green shoots of recovery in America!