Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will The FSA Make a Milestone Announcement Tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2009, 02:20 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will The FSA Make a Milestone Announcement Tomorrow?

There is speculation that the Financial Services Authority (FSA) will tomorrow announce a cap on mortgage lending of more than three times a borrower's income.

And, a ban on 100% Mortgages.

Obviously, the Mortgage Lenders and Brokers are up in arms about it ...... well, they should have lent more carefully and we wouldn't be in this mess!

Clearly, if it happens and is rigourously enforced, it will affect the price of starter homes ....... I guess 'average' house prices will have to equal 3 times the 'average' income? Or is that too simplistic?
Old 17 March 2009, 02:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Lets hope this is true.

I took out "3.5 x my wage" when I bought my flat. Think this is a sensible amount to borrow.

Like you say, at 3 or 3.5 x wage, we wouldn't be in this mess now.

EDIT
However this will not happen. The Government will not allow this, as house prices will crash overnight. They want banks to lend more money. House price rises mean more money for the Government, as has been the way til the bubble burst. The Government just want to put a sticky plaster over the hole, and re-inflate the bubble again.

Last edited by stilover; 17 March 2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:26 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Far too simplistic. People will have saved a deposit, have equity from the rise in value of existing property, have an inheritance or have won on the premium bonds. All that cash is added onto the available mortgage to give the house price they can afford.

Then consider couples where both work etc. and regional variations.

Average house prices will always way exceed average incomes.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:30 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Point taken .... the long term multiple is 4 I think .... it is only over the past few years where people could borrow whatever they liked - AND DID!

I would praise the move as a good thing - it would give some security and a sensible lending level.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:37 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The Association of Estate Agents say:-

"For many first time buyers on salaries under £20,000, the capping of a loan at three times their annual salary will mean that there is little chance they could get onto the property ladder - prices would have to fall even lower for them to be able to afford a look in"

Who cares if prices fall so they can afford to buy?

Low prices are good for everyone ......
Old 17 March 2009, 02:44 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but most people buy houses with someone else, so 2 x £20K incomes seems more reasonable.

I would be lucky to afford a shoe box on my salary (public sector), but luckily my husband has a job too
Old 17 March 2009, 02:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

[quote=SunnySideUp;8582388]The Association of Estate Agents say:-

"For many first time buyers on salaries under £20,000, the capping of a loan at three times their annual salary will mean that there is little chance they could get onto the property ladder - prices would have to fall even lower for them to be able to afford a look in"

Low prices are good for everyone ......[/quote]

Not everyone.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:59 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

was this not mentioned by FM in the housing thread yesterday ?

Pete recycling is the way to go I see

Originally Posted by FlightMan
In response to the 2 replies above.

1. My figure was working forwards, not backwards. 2.3% x 12 = 27.6%. Now it's fair comment to say that the figure for the next 12 months is unknown.

2. Why am I basing my figures on 3.5x salary? Why not? It seems the FSA is going to prevent people borrowing more than 3x there salaries.

Mortgages to be capped at three times salary

08:03 | 16.03.09

Home buyers will be prevented from borrowing more than three times their annual salaries under new mortgage rules to be announced this week.

As part of a wide-ranging package of measures for banking regulation, Lord Turner, the chairman of the Financial Services Authority, will also declare a ban on 100% mortgages.

In all but the most exceptional circumstances, it will become 'normal practice' for loans to be limited to a maximum of three times the borrower’s salary.

Prospective home owners will have to provide a deposit of at least 5%, with many banks and building societies expected to ask for even larger amounts.

The move is in response to Gordon Brown’s request last month that the FSA look into banning risky mortgage lending.

Daily Telegraph
Old 17 March 2009, 03:03 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

Debatable i would say.

What good are low house prices if you have no salary to buy them with?What good are low house prices if you are a bankrupt or have had your house repossessed due to arrears?
What good are low house prices for the millions that have bought in the last 3yrs or so and can't remortgage due to NE?

Are people happier now than they were back in summer 07?
Old 17 March 2009, 03:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is speculation that the Financial Services Authority (FSA) will tomorrow announce a cap on mortgage lending of more than three times a borrower's income.

And, a ban on 100% Mortgages.

Obviously, the Mortgage Lenders and Brokers are up in arms about it ...... well, they should have lent more carefully and we wouldn't be in this mess!

Clearly, if it happens and is rigourously enforced, it will affect the price of starter homes ....... I guess 'average' house prices will have to equal 3 times the 'average' income? Or is that too simplistic?
I agree with what SSuP says here. The lower mortgages available must drop the price of starter homes and it would be far better if people were able to get on the ladder at a mortgage that they can afford.

Starting a mortgage was always a bit of a squeeze in past times, but eventually it seemed to become easier to cope and to be able to get started in a home of your own-ish was always a big plus.

Les
Old 17 March 2009, 03:22 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Except for the majority who bought property towards the top of the market who would find themselves in negative equity for years to come - probably the rest of their lives.

The poster of course knows this, and his speculative post is calculated to put the sh*ts up homeowners who read it without it being based in any way in fact.

Basically just more shameful trolling.
Old 17 March 2009, 03:43 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Except for the majority who bought property towards the top of the market who would find themselves in negative equity for years to come - probably the rest of their lives.

The poster of course knows this, and his speculative post is calculated to put the sh*ts up homeowners who read it without it being based in any way in fact.

Basically just more shameful trolling.
Except that this information is available in todays Telegraph: FSA to cap mortgage borrowing - Telegraph

or here:
FSA could cap mortgages - 17 March 2009

or lots of other places

So I can't see how it is trolling or speculative or designed to upset people.
Old 17 March 2009, 05:04 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Except that this information is available in todays Telegraph: FSA to cap mortgage borrowing - Telegraph

or here:
FSA could cap mortgages - 17 March 2009

or lots of other places

So I can't see how it is trolling or speculative or designed to upset people.

Romours at present. I think people should wait for things to become fact before they start crowing.
Old 17 March 2009, 05:14 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Romours at present. I think people should wait for things to become fact before they start crowing.

Except everything in the paper says it WILL happen. Also, are you saying that people are not allowed to discuss articles that DO speculate as it may be interpreted as trolling?

This would logically extend to not commenting on the pages themselves when the paper allows you to

I genuinely cannot see how commenting upon articles that are freely available in the press can be construed as trolling or panic-mongering.
Old 17 March 2009, 05:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

its another example of our "lowest common denominator" society

some people drink to much -- introduce more alcohol control

some people borrow too much -- restrict access to capital

etc etc etc
Old 17 March 2009, 05:49 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

etc etc etc

some people eat too much chocolate... tax it
some people speed - lower every speed limit
some people put the 'wrong' recycling out - put cameras in every bin

Hmmm.... good point.

Okay folks, for Gods sake stop w*nking!!! They'll be analysing tissues next!

On a more serious note, a mate sent me this link which makes fascinating if very scary reading:

Reserve Banking - The Market Ticker

it's very well written and manages to explain how this mess comes about in clear language.
Old 17 March 2009, 06:21 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Starter homes will equal lower standard though. There is a large housing stock in this country and that will become more prestigeous under this system.

You'll effectively bring in a multi tier society over night.

What would be much better (and solve some social issues and benefit scams) would be to bring back the Mortgage Interest Relief for married couples. Promote marriages, promote couples and encourage people to save together to buy together.

Also banning 100% mortgages is wrong. If you do split up with the mrs you might find yourself in need of a house. Since the assets need to be divided up you'll be very cash poor, even if you do have a good job. Say you earn a good 40k per year but don't have a deposit because it is all on legal fees etc.

You might want a 100% mortgage to get a nice flat near your friends and still in a nice area. Given your salary you could easily afford the repayments but you need to buy furniture etc from scratch so no deposit. In that scenario (actually more common than you'd think) a 100% mortgage is a god send.

Lenders need to be tighter with criteria but a blanket ban is wrong.

5t.
Old 17 March 2009, 06:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Debatable i would say.

What good are low house prices if you have no salary to buy them with?What good are low house prices if you are a bankrupt or have had your house repossessed due to arrears?
What good are low house prices for the millions that have bought in the last 3yrs or so and can't remortgage due to NE?

Maybe Lewis is trolling ,

But broadly id say the above people are irrelevent !
Old 17 March 2009, 07:17 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I think 3 times salary is slightly low; 3.5 times is still affordable (as long as interest rates don't shoot up and salaries lag behind).

Some interesting figures:-

When I bought my first flat in 1979 the mortgage rate was 12% (and all lenders charged the same due to the Building Societies Association cartel) and basic rate income tax was 33%. The salary multiple allowed then was 2.5 times salary.

So someone on £25K pa (I think I was on £4K back then!!) could borrow £62500. I've run some figures through a mortgage calculator website and at 12% over 25 years this would cost £664 per month on a repayment mortgage. BUT - back in 1979 we got tax relief on the interest. This would bring the monthly cost down to about £464.

Today, if you were to borrow an amount at 4% over 25 years with no tax relief on the interest and you wanted a monthly outlay of about £460 you could borrow £85000, or nearly 3.5 times £25K.

I don't remember people shouting 30 years ago about lenders allowing people to borrow too much so if £460 per month on a salary of £25K was affordable back then then surely it is still affordable now?
Old 17 March 2009, 07:27 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
was this not mentioned by FM in the housing thread yesterday ?

Pete recycling is the way to go I see

I look at house prices like this.

Buy at 150k and pay back maybe 300k over the mortgage term. Or;
Buy at 300k and pay back 750k.

Why do people like giving banks lots of their money?

I'd much rather pay a smaller mortgage and put some cash aside, rather than be mortgaged up to the hilt, and have nothing cash.
Old 17 March 2009, 07:34 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Starter homes will equal lower standard though. There is a large housing stock in this country and that will become more prestigeous under this system.

You'll effectively bring in a multi tier society over night.

What would be much better (and solve some social issues and benefit scams) would be to bring back the Mortgage Interest Relief for married couples. Promote marriages, promote couples and encourage people to save together to buy together.

Also banning 100% mortgages is wrong. If you do split up with the mrs you might find yourself in need of a house. Since the assets need to be divided up you'll be very cash poor, even if you do have a good job. Say you earn a good 40k per year but don't have a deposit because it is all on legal fees etc.

You might want a 100% mortgage to get a nice flat near your friends and still in a nice area. Given your salary you could easily afford the repayments but you need to buy furniture etc from scratch so no deposit. In that scenario (actually more common than you'd think) a 100% mortgage is a god send.

Lenders need to be tighter with criteria but a blanket ban is wrong.

5t.

Some good points there 5t .
Have to agree .
Old 17 March 2009, 07:35 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Debatable i would say.

So, let's debate!

What good are high house prices if you have to spend most if your monthly salary on the mortgage?

Negative equity? Been there done that. Lots of options. Rent it out, sell it and pay the balance bank ( I did, £20k on a 14k salary ) or stay where you are.

I don't know. I am. But then my happiness doesn't depend on rising house prices.

For too long houses were treated as cash machines. It's over.
Old 17 March 2009, 07:51 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

There is still the odd person who buys a place because they want to live there .!!
I am interested in property ,but I am in my house because it has everything I want in a HOME .It costs me far too much in repayments,bills etc etc ,but I am happy as a pig in Shoite .!!!
Ideally I would see it as a place to eat ,sleep only, and not be bothered about the bricks and mortar and I would then live somewhere cheaper and be loaded .
But having said that I would only spend it on cars then !!!

I think a sensible medium needs to be found for the youngsters starting out and 3.5 X salary is where it used to be .

People do tend to not want to wait for things anymore .
Old 17 March 2009, 08:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3x the first and 1x the second or 2 1/4x joint was the norm only 10 years ago.

Wife and I were 4 months into our first jobs, earned c.£20k a year each and borrowed £80k. With a small deposit we bought a good quality 3 bed detached bungalow in a nice area.

Nowadays, graduates in the same position could not do this. That is not progress.
Old 17 March 2009, 09:15 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
are you saying that people are not allowed to discuss articles that DO speculate as it may be interpreted as trolling?.
You know I'm not saying that.

What I'm saying is that the particular poster in question has a lot of 'previous' for posting bad news and generally reveling in the schadenfreude that will inevitably result. It just sticks in my craw that people are so blatantly able to get away with it, and that they even seem to have the support of the powers that be when they do.
Old 17 March 2009, 09:25 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan

I look at house prices like this.

Buy at 150k and pay back maybe 300k over the mortgage term. Or;
Buy at 300k and pay back 750k.

Why do people like giving banks lots of their money?

I'd much rather pay a smaller mortgage and put some cash aside, rather than be mortgaged up to the hilt, and have nothing cash.
Because by the end of the term, your home might be worth £750k anyway? You're paying interest, but at the same time, benefiting (tax free) from the growth in the value of your investment. Plus you've been living in a nice house all that time.

Not all that long ago, Mrs C and I were very glad of the ability to borrow a large salary multiple - it meant we could buy our current place without having to first sell the old one. Having a bit of overlap was great for many reasons, and well worth a few months' interest.

Of course, we actually planned ahead and worked out what it was going to cost, for how long, and how we were going to afford it. Not everyone is, to use a word which has become sickeningly inappropriate, so prudent. But that doesn't mean that the availability of credit is always a bad thing.

Last edited by AndyC_772; 17 March 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 17 March 2009, 11:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
3x the first and 1x the second or 2 1/4x joint was the norm only 10 years ago.

Wife and I were 4 months into our first jobs, earned c.£20k a year each and borrowed £80k. With a small deposit we bought a good quality 3 bed detached bungalow in a nice area.

Nowadays, graduates in the same position could not do this. That is not progress.
I reckon they maybe able to, in a few years,when prices are more reasonable,

also theyll be less graduates possibly,chasing real jobs ...!
Old 18 March 2009, 12:40 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Flightman, interesting maths!

For the same interest rate the proportion of the loan paid back is the same. So if £150k requires a total payback of £300k, then £300k requires £600k, not £750k

Anyway, that's a mortgage rate of about 3%. At 12% the £300k house would cost a total of £5m over a 25 year term

The point is that while house prices were rising then when you eventually downsize, or die, allowing the value to be realised, the real cash you get from the £300k house is twice that from the £150k house. It's tax-free and you haven't had to work for it.
Old 18 March 2009, 12:44 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The 3x Salary Cap comes into its own when Interest Rates are at around 8% and higher.

I think the long term average rate is 8%?

There are many people who will be hurt when rates increase later this year to something approaching 8% for mortgages - that's when the sense of a multiple cap reaps benefits.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:31 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

etc etc etc
Yeah but we do need protecting from ourselves - right?
Unfortunately, it would appear it is the nature of government to get bigger and more controlling.
I wonder if the recession will encourage them to curtail their activities?
Doubt it somehow.

Quick Reply: Will The FSA Make a Milestone Announcement Tomorrow?