Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Driving instructors on here?

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2009, 01:12 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Driving instructors on here?

As per title.

Really starting to hate my job right now, and am looking to do something else. I’m 34, and think that if I don’t do something now, I’ll never do it.

My old man has decided to retire at the end of May due to ill health and sell his majority share holdings. I’ve never really got on with his business partner, who will then become MD, and what with the resent whispering campaign being started against me by a certain colleague (who is very pally with my old man business partner) I feel my time here will be short lived anyway.

Thought about being a driving instructor before, but now feel the time is to act. Just wondered if anyone on here is or recently become a driving instructor? If so can I ask a few questions?

1) Who did you train with? (Thinking of the instructor college)
2) What fees did you pay?
3) How long did it take to pass? (Won’t have any money coming in so need it to be as short as possible)
4) Did you fine it relatively easy?

After you passed, what way did you go? Did you take up the franchise route, where they get you bookings, provide a car, then you pay them X amount each week/month? Or did you set up on your own?
If I did it, I’d probably consider going the Franchise route for a few years, then set up on my own.

If you did the Franchise route, are they getting you enough bookings every week?
Do you feel the Franchise fees are too much for the booking you get?

Finally, are you happy with your decision to become a driving instructor, and would you recommend becoming one? I’d be looking to earn (after fee’s) £20-£30k a year. Is this easily do-able? And what sort of hours do you work?

Sorry for such a long post, just want to get an idea before committing myself
Old 17 March 2009, 01:31 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm sure corradoboy will be along shortly
Old 17 March 2009, 01:36 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

My wife qualiified as a driving instructor in July 2008.

Fortunately, her income is the second income, or we would have all starved by now.
She trained with the AA and took on their franchise. The fees at present works out at £191.00 per week before you even turn a wheel.
Then they charge £30.00 for each pupil they introduce to you.

We spent in the region of £3,500 for her to complete her training and get her ADI licence. she passed on her final 3rd attempt. You fail the 3rd attempt you must then wait for 2 years before you can retake the test and you must start all over again from part 1 to part 3.

It has been a very, very slow start, with nowhere near the number of introductions from the AA to make a decent living.
This month March will be the first month that she has actually earned over £1,000 take home. The previous highest amount was £562 in February and the lowest was £146 in January. I suppose the period after xmas is quiet for most businesses.

If it were not for the steep fees then you might have a chance, but then to operate on your own without the franchise, you need a good supply of your own pupils.

I think a lot of instructors have left the AA (due to lack of pupils) and this is why she is now getting a decent supply of pupils. Long may it last.

On the plus side she absolutely loves the job and has had 5 pupils pass in the last 2 weeks on their first attempt! She does not regret giving up her old office job.

Hope this helps and has not put you off too much.
Old 17 March 2009, 01:38 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I looked into a couple of things when I got made redundant, this article put me off the franchise route somewhat:

Driving Instructor Training - How to earn £30,000 - Earnings
Old 17 March 2009, 02:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Hank / Zip. Both interesting posts, thanks.

Not as good as it sounds then.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:25 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I have heard of many instructors struggling to make £15k, let alone £30k. Check out some of the adi forums for instructors opinions.
Old 17 March 2009, 06:30 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Was talking to an instructor not long ago about this ( those ads on the telly that say 'you can earn up to 30K a year ) - he reckoned that yes, it was theoretically possible if you could book yourself out for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week - most of the instructors he knew were lucky to take home half of that, particularly if they are in an area where there is a lot of competition.

It didnt bother him ( he earns around £15K per year ) as he was semi retired and treated it as a part time job, so wasnt bothered too much about the income, but he didnt know of anyone earning anywhere near £30K, even the private ones who werent paying franchise fees.
Old 17 March 2009, 06:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My old instructor still has a full diary 5 1/2 days a week, no advertising, so word of mouth and reputation is priceless.

Im currently training up too, but as a second income for me really, no full time places as of yet.
Old 17 March 2009, 09:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RRH
I'm sure corradoboy will be along shortly
No he's at work....

LOL

He will turn up on Friday evening ready for job No.2....

dunx