Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Financial Times poll reveals hostility to jobless migrants

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2009, 05:19 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Financial Times poll reveals hostility to jobless migrants

More than three-quarters – 78 per cent – of British adults believe immigrants should be asked to leave the country if they do not have a job, according to an FT/Harris survey published on Monday. A majority also oppose the right for other European Union citizens to work here.

FT.com / UK - FT poll reveals hostility to jobless migrants
Old 16 March 2009, 05:21 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 22BUK
More than three-quarters – 78 per cent – of British adults believe immigrants should be asked to leave the country if they do not have a job, according to an FT/Harris survey published on Monday. A majority also oppose the right for other European Union citizens to work here.

Only 78%, suggest the other 22% who think it is OK actually foot the entire bill/cost for the jobless immigrants themsleves
Old 16 March 2009, 05:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Not all jobless immigrants are skint. Typically again, we just to the conclusion that theyre spongers. My housemates girlfriend has been jobless since October, just started working this last month and during that whole period, didnt claim a penny.
Old 16 March 2009, 05:30 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davegtt
Not all jobless immigrants are skint. Typically again, we just to the conclusion that theyre spongers. My housemates girlfriend has been jobless since October, just started working this last month and during that whole period, didnt claim a penny.
Thats cool, having five months in reserve is great, good on her

How do you feel about those who do not and clime for unemployment, housing, job seekers, etc?
Old 16 March 2009, 05:33 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I feel like theyre not all like that, again, look at our own people who are claiming the benefits and showing the rest of the world what this country hands out before you blame the others who do it. I think the country has bigger problems.

It'd be interesting to see the figures of those immigrants in the country who are employed and working hard for a living as opposed to those who are not.
Old 16 March 2009, 05:35 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

The poll should have asked how many people are dismayed by the number of immigrants
here in the first place.
Old 16 March 2009, 05:40 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Australia is cutting the amount of skilled immigrants it takes in by 14%, to protect Australian jobs, why can't we do this without being called racist. We can't even cut the number of unskilled scroungers, let alone skilled workers who have a job to go to.

Australia to slash immigration by 14% in battle to save jobs from foreign workers during recession | Mail Online
Old 16 March 2009, 05:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Australia is cutting the amount of skilled immigrants it takes in by 14%, to protect Australian jobs, why can't we do this without being called racist. We can't even cut the number of unskilled scroungers, let alone skilled workers who have a job to go to.

Australia to slash immigration by 14% in battle to save jobs from foreign workers during recession | Mail Online
Because Aus is not in the EU and has some ministers with backbones who give a damn i guess

I have been on both sides, when i worked in Dubai i knew that if i lost my job there was no welfare or place for me there - fair enough, i was not born there and therefore not entitled to benefits.

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 March 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 16 March 2009, 06:01 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Not a case of asking them to leave, they should be thrown out., but under unelected Brown's 'government' there is as much chance of that as finding an honest MP. The same goes for the other mainstream parties.

It should be clear from this article alone that government has no intention of abiding by the wishes of most Britons.

If the people can't petition Whitehall to give us what we want, can we please stop calling this country a democracy.
Old 16 March 2009, 10:13 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 22BUK

I think it's actually 100% of UK citizens want non-working immigrants thrown out the country - the other 22% in the survey are actually non-working immigrants or their relatives!

The government need to get their act together and start deporting them soon people will be voting in a far right party into power who will! (the situation is mirrored across the whole of Europe)

Last edited by Petem95; 16 March 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 16 March 2009, 10:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

to be honest its peanuts in the grand scheme of things

as someone who services and pays off any short / long term debts, what really irks me is all the people walking away from mortgages, credit card debts, bank loans, HPI agreements, leasing agreements, overdrafts etc and on and on

because some of my repayments will be paying their borrowings and this runs into BILLIONS and BILLIONS

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 16 March 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 16 March 2009, 10:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I feel like theyre not all like that, again, look at our own people who are claiming the benefits and showing the rest of the world what this country hands out before you blame the others who do it. I think the country has bigger problems.

It'd be interesting to see the figures of those immigrants in the country who are employed and working hard for a living as opposed to those who are not.
So, two wrongs now make a right - brilliant!

OK then, to take this insightful position forward - lets not worry about foreign criminals because we have our own home grown scum already...

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 March 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 16 March 2009, 11:44 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

imo, if you were not born here you should not be given any state benefits, all that should be provided, per town or city, is one big room/warehouse with running water and a portion of rice per day, if they don't like it they can put there name down for deportation, they should not have the same liberties.

The exception to this rule would be people who have paid adequate tax for X amount of years.

No?
Old 16 March 2009, 11:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

*brings out the cattle trucks*

Old 17 March 2009, 12:08 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Give them time to find a job and all that, aslong as they are not suckling from the UK money pot who cares, but staying in a room with hundreds of other people eating plain rice and water every day would soon get them in gear.
Old 17 March 2009, 12:20 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

DEY TUK ER JERBS!

Old 17 March 2009, 01:19 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
About right. But why provide anything except a lift to the airport/port and a kick in the direction of the outgoing plane/ship?

Dave
'A Kick'?..thats real nice of you fella. I guess that says quite a lot about how you view immigrants.

If these people have worked hard and paid their tax then they should have the same rights as anyone else. Why would anyone think otherwise??
Old 17 March 2009, 01:27 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin2005
'A Kick'?..thats real nice of you fella. I guess that says quite a lot about how you view immigrants.

If these people have worked hard and paid their tax then they should have the same rights as anyone else. Why would anyone think otherwise??

Martin, tbf, I think he is directing this towards those who haven't paid their tax etc. not just people who are here who have found themselves out of work, when they were previously working and paying into the pot.

I can't speak for him, but regardless of my opinions of all of this, that's how I read his comment.
Old 17 March 2009, 10:02 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im sure after World War One there was a political party set up under the name of the ****'s who had similar views, look how far that went....
Old 17 March 2009, 10:44 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The whole point of this thread is about those immigrants (i.e. here illegally) who do NOT have a job so I didn't think I had to provide provisos for everything I wrote. Maybe you should read and try to actually understand a whole thread sometime ....

Anyway, on the subject of those that do pay tax etc, they shouldn't have got the job in the first place if there was a Brit. who could have done it. *WE* (the British) are stupid if we let that happen.

Dave
Firstly Dave, where does it say anything about immigrants who are here illegally? Secondly, theres plenty of Brits who could have done it, but WOULD they have done it? We as a nation seem to be a bunch of moaning lazy fcukwits who have no time for anybody else, just because they were born on that other patch of land over the channel.
Old 17 March 2009, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't it be better to be a lot more selective about who is allowed to enter the country and for what reason in the first place?

Is it wise to have an open door policy to anyone until there is no more reasonable room left in the country for us all?

Les
Old 17 March 2009, 11:34 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Wouldn't it be better to be a lot more selective about who is allowed to enter the country and for what reason in the first place?

Is it wise to have an open door policy to anyone until there is no more reasonable room left in the country for us all?

Les
Exactly.

The UK was one of only THREE EC countries which FULLY implemented the "open door" policy, the other two being Ireland and Sweden, BOTH of whom had low populations and needed the workers.

Even THEY did not allow anyone in, then give them benefits, then give them MORE benefits to send home.

ALL the other EC countries implemented a similar scheme to the following:

"Yes, come if you want, but before you do, first, prove that there is a job for you, second, prove that you have the skills for that job, and third, prove there are no indigenous people who ALSO want that job. If you can't prove all three, don't come."

Now WHY didn't we do that?

And WHY did Lying Labour know best YET AGAIN, whern others were telling them NOT to do what they did, and what would happen if they did?
Old 17 March 2009, 11:38 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Quite!

Everything else is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted!

Ns04
Old 17 March 2009, 11:47 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Also quite amusing that some people didnt mind going to another country like Dubai to work for £100k a year tax free then trot back to these ere shores complaining that there are foriegn workers etc etc
Old 17 March 2009, 12:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Dubai chooses to have a regime such as this for whatever reason. Partly because a chunk of that £100K is spent within Dubai anyway I'd imagine. I bet if they had no sgortage of workers or skills they'd be a tad more selective than they are now. Wonder if you could get a job as a camel herder in Dubai??

Dave
We choose to have that regime though, not the governments fault if its running a country for mindless idiots who think theyre better than everyone else because they were actually born on this island.

Im sure you could be a camel herder over there but not for £100k a year. Do you think what the immigrants earn over here doesnt get spent in this country then?

Last edited by davegtt; 17 March 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 17 March 2009, 12:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Also quite amusing that some people didnt mind going to another country like Dubai to work for £100k a year tax free then trot back to these ere shores complaining that there are foriegn workers etc etc
LOL!
100k would be nice, whist there you still pay your UK taxes unless out there for more than a complete tax year but do not let the facts get in the way eh dave

Dave, One of the reasons i went to Dubai was because having been self employed i then decided to get back into the UK job market, i even though having paid into the UK system with PAYE, NI, etc since 1980 continuously to 2006 i would be entitled to help when i needed it - Job seekers allowance - Well whilst sat in the joke shop watching a lot of people who spoke little if any Eeensliish get their NI numbers and benefit entitlements pack with all the info on what and how to claim it turned out i was due nothing, no JSA because i had been self employed, even though i had paid my class 1 stamp whilst self employed i did not qualify not show up on NL's stats as unemployed.

I was disgusted and very upset by this and how i was treated and i dare say i am not alone having been born here and paid in to the system continuously since i was 16 years old, only ever been out of work for 6 months during 26 years.

Being born and raised here (and having paid my uk taxes even when abroad) seeing how i was treated i am entltled to bitch all i want Dave, perhaps with some real life experiences the scales may fall from your eyes so you can see what is going on.

Last edited by The Zohan; 17 March 2009 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Financial Times poll reveals hostility to jobless migrants