Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

road legal quads.

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2009, 09:41 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road legal quads.

has anybody on here owned a road legal quad. im thinking of getting one at the minute. been looking at the 660 and 700 raptors. would like to get an opinion on what they are like to use on the road. ive seen some with lowered suspension. supermoto lowering kit. they say they supposed to handle like go karts?

paul g
Old 15 March 2009, 09:58 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Heard that they're bleeding dangerous on the road and I know someone who smashed a leg up due to crappy stability but I don't know if he had handling kits or whatever (plus he's a bit of a knobend), it was fully road legal and fast but not very stable or so I was told.

I'd stick to a fun car or two wheels tbh. Good luck, whatever you decide to do
Old 15 March 2009, 10:18 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

lol... smashed up leg,thats nasty! they do look dangerous. i suppose its like anything quick. treat it with respect. i might consider selling my ra and get a cheaper scoob. up to the value of 4,000 and buy a raptor with the change. not shore if i would miss it too much though.

paul
Old 15 March 2009, 10:21 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i've had a couple of mates with them, i don't see how they would handle like go karts as they are quite high up even if lowered. Be careful as a mate of mine had off rd tyres on his quad which are illegal on the rd, but he goes down the rds to all the green lanes for a bit of off roading. Its unbeleivable how bad they handle with off roaders on.

Aaron
Old 15 March 2009, 10:25 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

yeh a bet they do. i would fit the road tyres on straight away. otherwise you will be all over the place like yo said. do yo think i would be mad to sell my sti type ra 555 wrc v limited. to buy a uk scoob and a road legal raptor?
Old 15 March 2009, 10:30 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystery inc.
lol... smashed up leg,thats nasty! they do look dangerous. i suppose its like anything quick. treat it with respect. i might consider selling my ra and get a cheaper scoob. up to the value of 4,000 and buy a raptor with the change. not shore if i would miss it too much though.

paul
Aye, 'twas nasty, pins an' things in his leg, then it rebroke (I must say I did laugh but he is a bit of a tool) and he's still sorta healing 2 years later.

As ya say, treat it with respect and you're less likely to be road pizza. I hankered after one a while back, but I'd so kill myself on the road.

I do think you're mad to sell your scoob though!
Old 16 March 2009, 12:23 AM
dave247
Scooby Regular

Im sure it was on Top Gear a while ago, they tested them nd said how dangerous they are.

Could be different with handling kits on mind
Old 16 March 2009, 07:10 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

And don't forget how much of a **** you'll look.
Old 16 March 2009, 08:30 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Why not get a buggy with a rollcage around it, they're fairly cheap.
Old 16 March 2009, 08:40 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You need to ride one of the bigger quads with proper engines to appreciate the power that they have. 110BHP and 120KGs (approx) is a pretty impressive power to weight ratio.

I rode a few in Dubai and you really feel like Wylie E Coyote being strapped onto rollerskates and a ACME rocket on his back as it takes off.

The handling kits usually lower and widen the track on the quad, it will help with on road stability and handling but not make it invincible, just better and not so good off road. Tyres is something to look at if you plan to use mostly on the road. TBH i would only consider one for off road and getting to off road venues, maybe short commutes in summer.

You need to learn how to ride them properly to exploit the potential like any bike or car really and if on road be aware that most motorists will be unaware of the potential of the quad or even see it - again like bikes.

What you do not have is the maneuverability of a bike + you have increased width with little or no more protection if in an accident.

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 March 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 16 March 2009, 11:37 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

can't see point for the road:

bit like trikes......... all the cold/wet/hassle of a motorbike and yr still stuck in traffic like a car.

might as well have a car !
Old 16 March 2009, 06:45 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

lol... not much positive views then. maybe im being unrealistic. who knows. by the sounds of it, most ppl think im mad if i sell my car to get one then. i had one in cyprus for two weeks. loved it! i will have a good think about this idea. make sure if its right for me.

cheers for all the replys lads.

paul g
Old 16 March 2009, 06:51 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Can't be any more dangerous that a road bike.
Old 16 March 2009, 06:54 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I haven't got one but i'd quite like one. The wife's uncle has a 250cc one and even that's bloody quick!
Old 16 March 2009, 07:00 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Can't be any more dangerous that a road bike.
Most bikers have a fair bit of training and a license. I think anyone can hop on a quad though, cant they? I don't think there's a requirement to wear a helmet either.
Old 16 March 2009, 07:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Most bikers have a fair bit of training and a license. I think anyone can hop on a quad though, cant they? I don't think there's a requirement to wear a helmet either.
This is true, no training but the rider must be in posession full car licence. It is 4 wheels rather than two so makes some sense.

The helmet thing beggars belief and you would have to be truly stupid not to wear one on or off road!
Old 16 March 2009, 07:05 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Anyone with a car license can ride one and yeah, no helmet necessary.
Old 16 March 2009, 07:19 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
The helmet thing beggars belief and you would have to be truly stupid not to wear one on or off road!
Absolutely, anyone who's out on the roads on a quad without wearing a helmet might as well get the organ donor papers signed and put their mortuary toe tag on just to be ready. It's bad enough being in a car, lol.
Old 16 March 2009, 07:21 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
Anyone with a car license can ride one and yeah, no helmet necessary.
Although I doubt that the pikeys I see caning it about Chertsey with no helmets on have a license of any kind. They're fecking nuts!
Old 16 March 2009, 07:29 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

I will definitly wear a helmet. It's common sense. Also gloves and a jacket. Not leather.
Old 16 March 2009, 09:41 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Ive always riden quads (mainly off road) along with large tri's from the age of 10. I love them, but they are very dangerous! Ive had many incidents, and had one for two weeks abroad too.

My younger brother has had 3 road legals in the past. The first was stolen despite being anchored down - and they pulled a 6ft wall down to get it out!! The second he was chased on by two cars full of Gyppo's and only got away by off roading across parks etc - they chased him for around 20 mins... He sold that for a faster one (brand new) which broke after a week!!

Sod all that - stick to your scoob pal..

Forgot to add - He lived in Sidcup which TBH isn't a bad area either

Last edited by Tucker82; 16 March 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Somehow I would feel a lot safer on my bike than on a quad.

Les
Old 17 March 2009, 05:52 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

I've had a go of a bike before. I'm no good on them. No balance. Plus I'm norlt really into them. Yes I agree they are safer than quads
Old 17 March 2009, 06:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystery inc.
I've had a go of a bike before. I'm no good on them. No balance. Plus I'm norlt really into them. Yes I agree they are safer than quads
Riding a quad requires balance and similar skills to bike riding, using your weight, etc.
Old 17 March 2009, 06:48 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

My best mate is one of the worlds best known quad-bike stunt men- I'm sure you're seen the paddle steamer crash? Also well know in the quadbike racing world and has been champion in many countries on two and four wheels, and holder of several quad related world records.

He's always been very vocal in his opinion that they are not suitable for the road.

In my humble opinion, thats about as close to a professional opinion as you're going to get.
Old 17 March 2009, 07:26 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Avoid like the plague, I had one a year ago and am still in plaster as a result.

Mine was the Suzuki LT400 (I think) Was only going out for a blast but got a corner wrong, took a left hander fine but when i came to go round the immediate following right hander, it kind of just careered across the road, fortunately there was no other traffic coming but i still went up the curb causing the bars to be wrnched from my hands with enough force to leave me with a total non union of my left scaphoid - it broke in other words.
This was last Feb but the break wasn't picked up untill Oct and it has taken untill this Feb to get an Op on it, 3 pins and a bone graft later, I have a cast on for another 2 weeks and will then wait and see whats happening.
I will never get another, I am an experienced fast bike rider (Blade, R1, GSXR1000 etc) but this was something else, not particuarly fast but just bloody sh!te going around the bends, of course I was inexperienced in riding them but it's not the point, they are dangerous.
Old 17 March 2009, 07:36 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

this is not sounding to good. maybe i should not get one. i agree they are dangerous. i will give this some serious thought.

thanks for all the replys lads.
Old 17 March 2009, 09:17 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Kangaroo Kid DVD

Welcome to the website of The Kangaroo Kid! | Kangaroo Kid
Old 17 March 2009, 10:03 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

had a banshee 350 on the road ok for a while but you do get bored quick unless you got a few of you out on them and as said above there not the best when it comes to the bendy bits.make sure you fit road tyers tho only kept mine for 2 months before going back to a R1 stick with your scoob and buy a bike mate imho
Old 18 March 2009, 07:27 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

YouTube - ATV Subaru Impreza STI

Quick Reply: road legal quads.