Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Painting experts needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2009, 08:21 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting experts needed!

I have two jobs to do, I have just taken on a 10,000 square ft warehouse I have painted all of the floor apart from about 1000 sq ft that was used as a lorry garage. The entire floor in that section has an oil coat and is very grubby from all the crap off of the lorries. I am pretty sure that floor paint is not going to adhere very well so whats the best thing to get rid of the oil/crap on the floor?

I have a 160bar jetwash which I can use but I am not sure if I should be using some sort of chemicals to help it along...

I also need to paint some rooms that are lined in ply (dont know why ) I was going to use regular emulsion but then thought maybe a vinyl would be better as they may get slightly grubby/dusty/dirty. Should I use vinyl or just stick to emulsion or maybe something else?

I normally only use dulux trade or regular but may take a trip to brewers for this lot as its not as important as my house!
Old 12 March 2009, 09:11 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I suspect you may get some 'bleed' through from the ply if it's new and you just use emulsion.
Probably need a primer first. (I've experienced this before with ply but on a small scale).

As for the floor, if it was me and I wanted to be absolutely sure the paint will adhere, I'd mechanicaly scabble it and/or use an etching primer.
It's a fairly long job doing it this way but the last thing you want is having to go back and scrape/ touch-up/re paint.....

Mind you, you must be mad. I've just done 3 coats on a new 40 sq m floor and my back didn't half ache
Old 12 March 2009, 09:26 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

You can get de-greaser for floors if it is really bad, if it's not too thick and boggin you can wash screed over it using an acrylic screed! A company called F Ball and sons used to supply our de-grease stuff, works well but it's a minging job!