Texting peer freed after appeal

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2009, 05:14 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texting peer freed after appeal

BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Texting peer freed after appeal

"the court had been persuaded that it could now take an "exceptional" course and suspend the 12 weeks for 12 months. " Shock horror.

Sounds like he's taking the gravy train these days.
Old 12 March 2009, 05:31 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Doesn't say why though does it? Utter rubbish. The man should be ashamed to even appear in public. He killed someone he should at least have the ***** to do the time for it.

Mockery of justice.

5t.
Old 12 March 2009, 05:45 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usual sexing up of a story:

The sentencing judge, Mr Justice Wilkie, made it clear his text messaging had finished two minutes before the accident took place and was not connected.

Essentially he was found guilty of dangerous driving, for which that sentence is about standard. He wasn't found guilty of the more serious charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

M
Old 12 March 2009, 05:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Usual sexing up of a story:

Essentially he was found guilty of dangerous driving, for which that sentence is about standard. He wasn't found guilty of the more serious charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

M
Yup, that is the real story behind the sentence.
Old 12 March 2009, 05:52 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Not defending him but his texting took place some time before the crash.
Old 12 March 2009, 06:01 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Oops silly me some poor bugger died, never mind !
Old 12 March 2009, 07:24 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

What if you pulled into a service station, parked up, sent text, then 2 minutes later drove out onto the motorway and crashed?

Guilty?

A difficult one this, and something that could happen to any of us.
Old 12 March 2009, 07:52 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Even if he finished txting 2 min before the accident he'll still have been thinking about it.
I'm pretty sure that sort of expert opinion wouldn't hold much water in court
Old 12 March 2009, 07:54 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

On a bit of a tangent, it would be interesting for mobile phones to have some activity log that monitors when it receives input from the user (not the actual input, just that it has received some), thus proving conclusively if he was for example about to send a text before this Peer smashed into this poor bloke.
Old 12 March 2009, 07:56 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I was shocked initially, but the text seems to have little bearing on the accident.

Still, texting while driving should result in a £1000 fine and 9 points on Licence.
Old 12 March 2009, 08:10 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I was shocked initially, but the text seems to have little bearing on the accident.
On the surface yes, but when it's Peers involved who really knows how much has been covered up.
Old 12 March 2009, 08:17 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
What if you pulled into a service station, parked up, sent text, then 2 minutes later drove out onto the motorway and crashed?

Guilty?

A difficult one this, and something that could happen to any of us.
Couldn't happen to me I've never sent a text in my life, and now don't even own a mobile
Old 12 March 2009, 09:21 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

See this is what frustrates me sometimes so much. You all believe what the press choose to report, simply because it makes for a better story.

The sending of texts had NOTHING to do with the death, as tragic as that death was. There was nothing Lord Ahmed could have done to avoid the crash - the deceased had gone back to his car to get his mobile phone and was in the middle of the motorway where he shouldn't have and did not need to be. IIRC, other vehicles had already struck the deceased's vehicle to avoid him, immediately prior to Lord Ahmed hitting him.

In the course of the usual investigation, it was abundantly clear that AT THE TIME OF THE CRASH WHICH CAUSED THE DEATH, Lord Ahmed was not driving dangerously. What was discovered though was the fact that he had been texting whilst driving, prior to the crash. Hence the charge simply being dangerous driving.

I can comment because I was there when he was sentenced, appearing to prosecute a trial in front of the same Judge after this case AND because a silk in my chambers represented him.

Nice to know the press don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
Old 12 March 2009, 09:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Not defending him but his texting took place some time before the crash.
Not much of a defence when he could have been replying to a received text. The 2 mins beforehand thing was probably the last recorded time of a signal to his phone of a received/sent text. How accurate is 2 mins anyway, seems awfully close. At the end of the day the guy crashed into a stationary car and ended up killing someone. That's negligence in my book even if he wasn't texting.
Old 12 March 2009, 10:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ritchie21
See this is what frustrates me sometimes so much. You all believe what the press choose to report, simply because it makes for a better story.

The sending of texts had NOTHING to do with the death, as tragic as that death was. There was nothing Lord Ahmed could have done to avoid the crash - the deceased had gone back to his car to get his mobile phone and was in the middle of the motorway where he shouldn't have and did not need to be. IIRC, other vehicles had already struck the deceased's vehicle to avoid him, immediately prior to Lord Ahmed hitting him.

In the course of the usual investigation, it was abundantly clear that AT THE TIME OF THE CRASH WHICH CAUSED THE DEATH, Lord Ahmed was not driving dangerously. What was discovered though was the fact that he had been texting whilst driving, prior to the crash. Hence the charge simply being dangerous driving.

I can comment because I was there when he was sentenced, appearing to prosecute a trial in front of the same Judge after this case AND because a silk in my chambers represented him.

ritchie21,

I agree, and did you hear any mention about the fact that "Martyn Gombar, 28, a Slovakian father of two living in Manchester, who had been drinking" might have contributed to his own death? - because it isn't very obvious in most of the press articles

That little "item" seems to have been ignored by most of the "media"!

mb
Old 12 March 2009, 11:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It amazes me that people continue to believe, hook line and sinker, everything the press/TV/radio put in front of them, without ever questioning it

Half the “stories” in the press are just recycled company press releases, or ridiculous company sponsored surveys, barely disguised as advertising -- Journo’s are as lazy as the rest of us, and this story just smells of lazy lazy journalism

Chocolate fights cancer ---- just look a little deeper and you’ll find the research is sponsored by Mars
Old 13 March 2009, 01:17 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
It amazes me that people continue to believe, hook line and sinker, everything the press/TV/radio put in front of them, without ever questioning it

Half the “stories” in the press are just recycled company press releases, or ridiculous company sponsored surveys, barely disguised as advertising -- Journo’s are as lazy as the rest of us, and this story just smells of lazy lazy journalism

Chocolate fights cancer ---- just look a little deeper and you’ll find the research is sponsored by Mars
It is not so much a matter of people believing what the press say - more a matter of people believing what they want too.
You can hardly blame the press for pandering to peoples prejudices. They are trying to make a profit after all is said and done.
Like the advertorial reference BTW
Old 13 March 2009, 08:16 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Even if he finished txting 2 min before the accident he'll still have been thinking about it.

He undoubtedly caused death by dangerous driving imo. He was driving dangerously and someone died - no other explanation for it.
IIRC the driver that died was over the drink limit, and was hit by 2 cars BEFORE this guy hit him. He was texting, but minutes before the accident.

However, if you want to believe that he caused the accident, feel free.
Old 13 March 2009, 04:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We must never forget however-some are more equal than others!

Les
Old 13 March 2009, 04:23 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by FlightMan
IIRC the driver that died was over the drink limit, and was hit by 2 cars BEFORE this guy hit him. He was texting, but minutes before the accident.

However, if you want to believe that he caused the accident, feel free.
IIRC his car was clipped by one car and 'evasive action' had to be taken from another driver. No-one is disputing that if the guy wasn't drink driving and had crashed in the first place then he'd more than likely still be alive today. The actual reason he is dead now was he was stuck by the Lord who was likely distracted from what was going on in front of him by indulging in an illegal act.
Old 13 March 2009, 04:31 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by greenonedave
Oops silly me some poor bugger died, never mind !
Its OK, the guy wasn't english and by all accounts had indeed already crashed having been on a drug and drink fueled rampage across the motorway. Lord Ahmed clearly saw fit to finish the job. "one less johnny foreigner" he wasn't quoted as not saying hypocritically.

Last edited by EddScott; 13 March 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 13 March 2009, 05:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
We must never forget however-some are more equal than others!

Les
Yes: equality is seldom applied equally.....
Old 13 March 2009, 05:49 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21

Clap trap.

Sorry but two other vehicles managed to avoid this accident, one fair dos did clip him but didn't kill them.

Are you telling me that if Lord Ahmed was driving:

1. Within the speed limit

2. With full concentration on his driving and not waiting for a reply to one of THE SEVERAL texts he had sent

3. As the Highway Code says.. able to stop within the distance he could see to be clear

That this wouldn't have happened? Lets not alos forget that he wasn't driving some rusty shed he was driving a good car with advanced braking etc and for some reason was driving in the fast lane on an empty motorway.

In my mind he was lucky (and that's being polite) not to get done for causing death by dangerous driving because it is blatently obvious that is what he did.

Because of that he should have at least taken the rap he was given quitely and severed his time. One again, no ***** and a brass neck.

5t.
Old 13 March 2009, 05:55 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Is he wasn't an Asian Lord and was say a member of Scoobynet driving an STi would you all jump on his case so quickly. I'd say anyone wandering around on the motorway pissed up after crashing their car is putting themselves in danger along with other road users.

Must remember to keep my eyes glued to the road on my next long motorway journey just in case a mutant ninja zombie happens to be wandering about lane 3.
Old 13 March 2009, 06:23 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Is he wasn't an Asian Lord and was say a member of Scoobynet driving an STi would you all jump on his case so quickly. I'd say anyone wandering around on the motorway pissed up after crashing their car is putting themselves in danger along with other road users.

Must remember to keep my eyes glued to the road on my next long motorway journey just in case a mutant ninja zombie happens to be wandering about lane 3.
I don't care who it was. In the eyes of the law everyone should be equal. Is wandering around pissed, possibly in shock too, on a motorway a crime punishable by death, yet actually killing someone after (possibly during) acting illegally is punishable by a few days in the clink?

Yes do keep your eyes glued to the road, it's what you should be doing anyway.
Old 13 March 2009, 06:57 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Yes do keep your eyes glued to the road, it's what you should be doing anyway.
I try to, I don't want to get into an arguement. I was just trying to put across that maybe all isn't as it seems in the papers.
Old 13 March 2009, 07:01 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Lord Ahmed, 51, who was jailed at Sheffield Crown Court on February 25, was not present for the appeal ruling by three judges in London.

He was involved in an accident which left a man dead on the M1 near Rotherham, South Yorkshire, on Christmas Day 2007.

The sentencing judge, Mr Justice Wilkie, made it clear his text messaging had finished two minutes before the accident took place and was not connected.

Martyn Gombar, 28, a Slovakian who was living in Leigh, Lancashire, died when Lord Ahmed's Jaguar hit an Audi car which had stopped in the fast lane of the motorway.

Subsequent tests showed Mr Gombar had been drinking and crashed his car into the central reservation, spinning it round.

As Lord Ahmed approached the Audi it was facing the wrong way straddling the two outermost lanes in total darkness.

Allowing the peer's appeal Lady Justice Hallett said there was "little or nothing" Lord Ahmed could have done to avoid the collision.

Lord Ahmed was knocked unconscious for a while but when he came to he telephoned the emergency services and "risked his life trying to flag down other vehicles to stop them colliding with the Audi or his car".

Over a period of about 10 to 15 minutes beforehand Lord Ahmed had received and read two text messages and composed and sent three "substantial" text messages on his mobile phone, the court heard.

The text message conversation had ended 1.86 miles, or two minutes, before the collision with the Audi.

The exchange of messages with a journalist took place as the peer was travelling at around 60mph over a 17.8-mile stretch of the carriageway.
Going by this I can't understand why he was jailed in the first place.

Goes against what I said above as this also is a report from a paper (the Telegraph)
Old 13 March 2009, 07:28 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

One of several sent and recieved messages. Chances are he was looking for a reply. He's dodged this one.

Martyn Gombar, 28, a Slovakian who was living in Leigh, Lancashire, died when Lord Ahmed's Jaguar hit an Audi car which had stopped in the fast lane of the motorway.
So he wasn't wandering about. He'd actually gone back to the car to get his phone and call the cops. He was in a big red car... one that should have been visible to anyone looking where they were going

As Lord Ahmed approached the Audi it was facing the wrong way straddling the two outermost lanes in total darkness.
No lights on the Lord's motor then? I would have thought they'd have shed a bit of light on it?

Also see earlier point. Why wasn't his Lordship driving in the left lane LIKE HE'S SUPPOSED TO?

Car was out of the way and well lit enough for two other people to avoid it.

The exchange of messages with a journalist took place as the peer was travelling at around 60mph over a 17.8-mile stretch of the carriageway.
Even worse he's doing 60mph in the outside lane!!! That sound like someone concentrating on their driving or lifting off a bit because they were pre occupied with something else? Say a phone perhaps?

The man is a pillock and used his status to get off. I doubt anyone else would have got off this lightly but if they had i'd be as annoyed at them too. End of.

5t.

Quick Reply: Texting peer freed after appeal