Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can someone please tell me why I get lots of military helicopters over the house?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2009, 10:43 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can someone please tell me why I get lots of military helicopters over the house?

I live in Stanstead Abbotts in Hertfordshire which is here: stanstead abbotts - Google Maps

We often get Chinooks flying over the house low and loud in a north easterly to south westerly direction (or NNE to SSW to be exact ), sometimes it's just one on its own, sometimes there are four together Occasionally we get Merlins too. Lately the activity seems to have increased and it's now starting to bug us as to where they're coming from and going to.

We don't get any other military traffic above here, just the helicopters. Please someone put me out of my misery
Old 12 March 2009, 10:47 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Take cover!
Old 12 March 2009, 10:50 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see Chinooks flying over head everyday, Got a trip in one once and loved it
Old 12 March 2009, 10:56 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Seeing four come over together is a pretty impressive sight
Old 12 March 2009, 11:00 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

its the black ones that you need to hide from
Old 12 March 2009, 11:00 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Could be you are smack bang under a military flight corridor

Trending Topics

Old 12 March 2009, 11:10 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Is there a training range where the military regularly conduct exercises? I.e another salisbury plain type close to you?

Is there an RAF/Army/Navy base nearby?
Old 12 March 2009, 11:12 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Is there a training range where the military regularly conduct exercises? I.e another salisbury plain type close to you?

Is there an RAF/Army/Navy base nearby?
Nope, well, not as far as I know anyway. No bases either.

The only thing I can come up with is that they're en route from either Norfolk or Lincs and going to Odiham or Benson but I want to know why
Old 12 March 2009, 11:30 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

We get them coming over work all the time. Always stop and watch in awe
Sometimes the Apache's come over too, and all sorts of various other ones I know nothing about lol.

Had the police helicopter disturbing the water on the Thames the other week, to help the river police locate a body.

The main reason we all stop work when they come over really is that the whole sodding building shakes. Industrial estates were not build for that lol.

Oh and lots of private flights going to and from the Battersea PowerStation next door too. All good fun.
Old 12 March 2009, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
I get VC-10s, Tri's and C17's over me all day long going in/out of Brize which are noisy and nice
I used to love the good old VC 10. Yet another very well designed British aircraft.

Les
Old 12 March 2009, 11:55 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I was lucky enough to get taken up in one last year for a 20 min flight, you think they're loud on the ground !!!!!

D
Old 12 March 2009, 11:56 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, get them every hour of the day. I suppose it doesnt help when you have the commandos and the boys in black training up here all the time. Only a few months ago the yanks were here training with our boys

A few years back one of the tornados was flying so low while banking, it clipped one of the house chimneys down the road from me.

Lately there has been a lot of C130's, F15's, Chinook, Nimrods, the odd Apache and tornado's about. Also a lot ground vehicles about, land rovers and trucks.

Its just the norm for us up here. You get use it, and dont even notice it anymore.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 12 March 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12 March 2009, 12:30 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Could be you are smack bang under a military flight corridor

I'd say thats correct. My parents live near RAF Shawbury and Cosford so they get everything from trainers to transports.

When I went home just after the introduction of the Apache, that took some getting used to, seeing a US aircraft in British colours.
Old 12 March 2009, 12:34 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
I live in Stanstead Abbotts in Hertfordshire which is here: stanstead abbotts - Google Maps

We often get Chinooks flying over the house low and loud in a north easterly to south westerly direction (or NNE to SSW to be exact ), sometimes it's just one on its own, sometimes there are four together Occasionally we get Merlins too. Lately the activity seems to have increased and it's now starting to bug us as to where they're coming from and going to.

We don't get any other military traffic above here, just the helicopters. Please someone put me out of my misery
Did you have a few beers last week and drunkenly write down your address for some posh bloke called Will's? If so, you probably smudged the postcode and he can't find the exact address. He wants to pop down to say hello.

Last edited by vindaloo; 13 March 2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Will's, not 'Arry FFS!
Old 12 March 2009, 12:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

I GET EVERYTHING

i work at the airport live under the flightpath.

antonovs, cessna, a340,
Old 12 March 2009, 12:49 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

seeing a US aircraft in British colours
[Pedant]

It's actually kinda British...we took the plans, changed em a bit and put bigger engines in! I'm sure the guy I spoke to said each rivet cost £8!

[/pedant]

I can't think when I last saw any mil stuff over here
Old 12 March 2009, 01:13 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Heading SSW they will be returning to base at RAF Odiham in Hampshire, now we just need an answer as where they have been at the other end!

<reminder to go on Google Earth later and have a nose about>

If there is an increase in traffic then they are getting ready for a deployment or helping someone else to go somewhere.

I'm originally from Llanelli where there is an RAF gunnery/bombing range on the coast at Pembrey. I used to watch the routine training exercises (school was under the flight path!) where Tornados et al would approach from the East, accelerate out over the Bristol Channel, turn and do a run at the ranges.
What used to be interesting was watching the increase in traffic before conflicts.
A few weeks before both the Falklands and first Gulf wars It was funny watching politicians on the telly being conciliatory whilst knowing that the RAF had been put on high alert and were on a shooting spree at the ranges.
Old 12 March 2009, 03:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

You are inbetween the M11 and the M25. Most helis fly VFR and what you're getting is the result of them cutting the corner from following the M11 down and picking up the M25 going west.
astraboy.
Old 12 March 2009, 03:08 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Ok, I'm liking these answers so far but why do they always cut the corner directly above my house? We are on the river and have a massive lake behind us, do you think they use that to refer to when flying VFR?

And where have they been?
Old 12 March 2009, 03:35 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Just had a look at where you live, they could be coming down from Mildenhall or Lakenheath but given that they are troop carriers/support I would put my money on them flying from the barracks at Chelmsford going back to Odiham via the north and west sides of the M25 to avoid going over central London.
Anyone at Chelmsford on notice of deployment?
Old 12 March 2009, 03:42 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Sal,

Most of what you need to find out why they're flying over you can be found here.

NATS | AIS - Home

Don't ask me where the exact document is though, I'm more interested in the civilian stuff.

As to where they've come from.......Mum's the word I reckon!

Pete
Old 12 March 2009, 04:06 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I would love to see Chinooks flying over head everyday, Got a trip in one once and loved it
Yep there is nothing quite like the feeling of sitting in the back of a chinook in full camo, carrying full kit, feet on the winch while an iso container swings gently below and flying low over the snow capped hills of the Falklands in winter. Ready to drop off the container at Onion range then spending 2 weeks in the field.

Man it was Fcukin cold
Old 12 March 2009, 04:16 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
[Pedant]

It's actually kinda British...we took the plans, changed em a bit and put bigger engines in! I'm sure the guy I spoke to said each rivet cost £8!

[/pedant]

I can't think when I last saw any mil stuff over here
I know their british made under licence, but their still a US aircraft to me.

Surely we could have designed something better.
Old 12 March 2009, 05:17 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Sal,

Most of what you need to find out why they're flying over you can be found here.

NATS | AIS - Home

Don't ask me where the exact document is though, I'm more interested in the civilian stuff.

As to where they've come from.......Mum's the word I reckon!

Pete
Cheers Pete

Civvy stuff, we get loads of that here, we're under the flight path for Stansted

Last edited by Scoobychick; 12 March 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12 March 2009, 06:04 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Probably heading back to Odiham, but I would guess from Stanford Training Area (STANTA) in Norfolk (actually just NW of Thetford) after dropping a load of squaddies off on a training exercise ?

Quick Reply: Can someone please tell me why I get lots of military helicopters over the house?