Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bloody road works!

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2009, 12:15 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bloody road works!

In my town the centre has been a no go area for nearly 3 months due to road works, 3 months would seem to indicate something major has gone on, and it has solved a massive problem.

I have driven through the centre a few times now and all i can spot is the kerb where pedestrians have to wait to cross the road has been extended by 2 foot, and a new set of traffic lights have been put in, in 3 MONTHS WTF, i could have done that in an afternoon!

I know a few people who work in the centre and they say the number of days there were workers actually there on site can be counted on two hands, and the number of days they were actually doiong something productive could be counted on one hand!

Why does it take 3 months of massive delays to put 2 feet of kerb and some new lights up, more to the point why where the diverted routes around the "work" set up at the beginning of january, but **** all seemed to happen till mid feb, thats 6 weeks of the town centre being a nightmare for no reason!

Do the people who carry out this work not have planners, and if so, why **** up the town centre and close it all off six weeks before anything is going to happen, clowns!

And last but not least, they have started on the next junction along now, which is 100 metres away, so instead of people walking 100 metres to cross the road, us drivers have another 3 months delay ( 6 weeks of doing **** all but closing roads off, 6 weeks of messing about to put 2 feet of kerb inplace and traffic light it).

Why do road works have to be like this, they always block roads off weeks before any actual work is done, why?

My brother is a builder, and he said his team could have done both junctions in a day, 4 feet of kerb and two sets of lights, so why does it take so long, anyone know?
Old 06 March 2009, 12:32 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

because they are idiots and feel accountable to no-one
Old 06 March 2009, 01:08 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Maybe someone on the council just happens to have a mate/relative who runs said construction company!
Old 06 March 2009, 04:47 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
because they are idiots and feel accountable to no-one
nail on head there, if i was in power there would be an accountable person, and that person would be hung, drawn and quartered!

Is accountability the problem?
Old 06 March 2009, 05:38 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

They have to be linked to the computer that turns them red when no-one is crossing to increase traffic delays to give justification for the introduction of congestion charging

Often see roundabouts taking months to construct by public bodies, which on a construction site would be completed in a week.
Old 06 March 2009, 06:47 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

What makes it worse is that its our road tax paying for this sort of thing aint it?
Old 06 March 2009, 06:59 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Similair thing happening in macc, there putting in new traffic lights and new pedestrian crossings. completely ground the town centre to a stand still. Cant see the new lights making any difference either and there are lots of soft bits hanging off them which I am sure the local p155heads will have fun smashing off at weekends.

As to why it takes so long, well when me and the wife went down to town on wednesday there where 2 workmen sit in their van asleep, and they where still there when we got back an hour and a half later. This was at 11am! At the end of the day is this type of work neccessary or are they just spending whats left of the council budget?

This is not usually the local council responsibility but the county council.