Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best football I've ever seen at Fratton Park!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2002, 12:49 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

England 3 v 0 Portugal.

We ran them ragged with some great flowing football, it would have been a hatful if we'd got more shots on target. Our No.10 was a star. Our No. 3 was cute, too.

First goal looped in over the keeper direct from a free-kick somewhere near the corner flag - there was a gale blowing towards the goal and yours truly, who was in the roofless, exposed away end.

Then we scored a fantastic breakaway goal direct from a Portuguese corner, fast and flowing it was, but unfortunately ruled out for offside. Two more goals from our strikers sealed it, though. The first a fantastic dribble, the second a tap-in following another keeper error.

I think the Portuguese (who ate all the pies?) goalkeeper was there just for comic value. She fumbled nearly everything and every 2nd time she kicked the ball she fell flat on her ("Whoooooooaaaaaa...you're FAT...Ha!") ar$e as the ball sliced to the nearest England forward.

Actually, just after half time there was the announcement over the PA "I'm sorry, but the cafe has run out of all hot food". We were going, "She DID eat all the pies".

Attendance 8821, the biggest ever for a Ladies International in England. Well done the City of Portsmouth.

I believe the win puts us 2nd (behind Germany) in the China 2003 World Cup Qualifier Group.

Ratman,
MY98 Wagon

P.S. No they didn't exchange shirts at the end...I waited for hours!
Old 25 February 2002, 04:41 PM
silverscoobports
Scooby Regular

hurrah fratton park makes scoobynet!!! probably be its finest hour this season mind you!!
Old 25 February 2002, 08:11 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Some might say it was the finest hour since the playing days of Jimmy Dickinson Can't believe I'm old enough to remember them!

At least they still get the occasional 5 seconds of fame in trivia quizzes as the team who have held the FA cup for the longest consecutive period.
Old 26 February 2002, 05:05 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Longest ?

Didnt Blackburn Rovers win it 3 years running in the 1920's ?

(me=rovers fan)
Old 26 February 2002, 05:11 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Didn't mention winning it

Portsmouth won the FA cup in 1939, I'l leave you to find out when the next team won it and became the next holders.

Well I did say it was a trivia question

(Think you'll find Rovers 3 in a row was in the 1880's after another Blackburn team - Blackburn Olympic)

[Edited by Silent Monkey - 2/26/2002 5:25:10 PM]