Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

renting a workshop/garage etc for diy use?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2009, 02:36 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default renting a workshop/garage etc for diy use?

Up until now, I've done all my car maintenance, modifications etc outdoors in the back garden, but I have decided that it's absolutely ridiculous, so I want to rent some kind of garage or workshop for DIY use.

Has anyone else done anything similar, and if so how much do you pay (and what do you get for the money), and how did you find the place?

I've seen people advertise their private garage spaces, but I don't think they'd be too happy about me angle grinding etc in their garage as obviously it's a bit noisy

What about security as well - I've got a whole bunch of tools that I'm fond of, so don't want to lose them if possible I want to build a track day car or similar, and it's just unrealistic to do in the back garden...

I'm primarily looking for something close to Bromley in Kent, but anything between Crawley and Bromley would be considered.

What are my options, basically?
Old 11 February 2009, 03:47 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and a mate rented a small workshop from the local council here in Yorkshire Pudland. It was approx 30' x 30' and inside was a small office room, cloakroom (inc WC) and a sink/kitchen area. There were gas wall heaters all around for heating. then there was a side entrance door and a large roller door. Floors were painted concrete, walls were brick outer with block inner and the ceiling height was over 12'.

We had plenty of room for each of our project cars and even made a temporary area in the corner with thick poly for spray painting.
We got given an old caravan, so put that inside the building so we had somewhere clean to eat / drink and chill.

Council didn't allow automotive use though! Instead we told them it was for storage while we had a place built. Didn't even pay business rates as we weren't running a business from it. In fact come to think of it, we never paid anything for the water, gas or electric either!

Now cost . . . .

It wasn't cheap, it cost us the equivalent of £25 each per week, paid monthly in advance.
We had finished using it after 11 months, but were tied in to it for 12 months. That wasn't a problem as it gave us time to clear it all out and sell some of the gear.

Was a great thing to have, loads of space, warm and dry, and a place we used to hang out and chill. Even took a TV, fridge, kettle, microwave and stereo down there. Was home from home!

Miss it now

Maybe OTT for what you want? But if you have mates that want to do the same sort of thing it could make it a viable option?
Old 11 February 2009, 04:25 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ah, that sounds exactly like what I want... maybe I should get onto bromley council and ask

Hopefully I can share it with my brother in law because he's massively into his cars as well
Old 11 February 2009, 05:58 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

This seems like a good idea. I remember seeing something similar on telly some years ago. You could hire a space or a lift by the hour with or without tools.
Old 11 February 2009, 06:11 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Interesting - there used to be a DIY garage in Aberdeen but it folded due to lack of use.

As for workspace, try asking around local farms. Many farmers will be willing to rent you a barn.
I used to rent this place....

...from a nearby farmer. I cant remember the exact cost but it was under £100 per month. Long enough for 4 cars quite comfortably, had electricity and a cold tap outside. There was also a few storage rooms behind it for stocking parts and tools, plus the yard outside had parking for another 3 or 4 cars.
Security-wise farms tend to be out of the way, and usually have nippy dogs and grumpy farmers wandering around at all hours, so its generally ok. The place I rented was very good, with very secure doors etc. I moved out just in time though - soon afterwards a permanent pikey settlement was built across the road!
Old 11 February 2009, 06:13 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

That barn looks like exactly what I'm after to be honest, that is a fantastic space!