Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone used the NHS stop smoking service

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2009, 09:19 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used the NHS stop smoking service

The wife is trying to give up and she's been looking at the adverts the NHS have on tv to help with quitting.

Has anyone used it?

How supportive are they?

Do they also help with alternatives?

Do they make you sit in a big circle like Alcohol Anonymous and talk about your addiction?

She just wants to talk to someone whos more supportive than me
Old 10 February 2009, 11:49 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Stop smoking service here in Cumbria is fantastic

Non judgemental, one-to-one, drugs (champix and Zyban), pregnant mothers, patches..the lot

I get (per head of population) about 25.6 pence to treat my patients and I'm dwarfed by the NHS spend on stopping smoking here !

Just pick up the phone and dial the number

Best health move ever

Shaun
Old 10 February 2009, 11:50 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
The wife is trying to give up and she's been looking at the adverts the NHS have on tv to help with quitting.
I bet she loves being reminded every five minutes!
Old 10 February 2009, 11:53 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried using them, and it failed, but that could be just me being weak willed, not ready or whatever. Plus I would say, the service may vary place to place.

In my case, I tried to go it alone, and I just couldn't do it. Tried patches etc. but failed miserably. Then a co worker told me how she was on some tablets that worked really well for her (she was doing well, and don't think she has gone back). So I tried to see if this was an option for me, via my GP surgery. Basically, the only nurse there, who deals with this (no other doctor/nurse does), was on the sick, so the only option was to attend one of these groups to speak to a professional, who if appropriate could sign something to authorise me getting the tablets.

I did go, and basically it consisted of a brief chat, along with a breath test, then you got to sit with the group and have a chat together. It may help some, and as I say, different places may offer different services, but this didn't work for me. Probably didn't help that the only clinic I could attend was during my rearranged lunch hour at work.
Old 11 February 2009, 08:47 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Smoking is daft as is being weak willed.

I smoke and I'm weak willed

Stupid thing is,there are times when I don't even think about it.The times that you can't smoke,in pubs etc having a meal out and it doesn't bother me at all.

Tried Hypnosis.Waste of £250.

I might try the NHS job but that book by Mr Carr? is meant to be very good.

Worst habit I ever persevered to 'enjoy'
Old 11 February 2009, 09:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

My friend who had tried just about everything else gave it a go 5 months ago. She has now not smoked a cigarette for 4 months having been smoking 20plus a day for the best part of 16 years.

It works, but like anything you have to really want to help yourself as well as be helped if that makes sense. That is how she put it to me.
Old 11 February 2009, 09:35 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I have two friends that have given up via hypnotherapy. Well worth a try.

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2009, 10:02 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I used the NHS service 2 years back when my son was born, and haven't even thought about smoking again since.

Yes I had a big incentive to give up with my little lad arriving, but the patches and support helped a lot.

For the first year its tough and you do get bad cravings, are narky and do miss it sometimes. After that though the cravings go, the reminders go, and if you are like me you turn into the worse anti-smoking bloke ever
Old 11 February 2009, 10:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I smoked for a long time and was well and truly hooked. I tried a few times to stop but was unsuccessful. I really wanted to give it up.

Eventually I had to spend a while in hospital to get a smashed hip rebuilt and was not able to get out of bed. Eventually when I was mobile the bloke opposite me used to go to the smoking room but by then I forced myself to resist. When I got home I was even more determined and managed to keep off it even though I cornered the market in Maltesers The longer the time went by the easier it was to resist the temptation. The one thing to avoid is having just one ciggy, that will drop you right back into it! I would never be tempted to start again now.

Been off them for 12 years and the amount of cash I saved is amazing.Meant I could afford a motor bike as well as a good car. The quad bypass I had to have was almost certainly due to my previous addiction. Thats a pretty frightening experience too!

Les
Old 11 February 2009, 10:36 AM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you are the bionic man Les
I know of someone too who paid £180 for hypnotherapy and gave up instantly!
He was on 20-40 a day. He said when he came out of the place he went to get in the car and couldn't cause it stank of ciggys.

Bargain IMO
Old 11 February 2009, 12:22 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

She's gone to see them this afternoon, she phoned and they advised her to come down to their drop in centre.

I'm terrible with the support to stop smoking, and this might sound a bit big headed, but I gave up about 10 years ago and just stopped. Just stopped buying them - no cravings, no lapses, just stopped. Mind you it might have helped not being stoned as well
Old 11 February 2009, 01:02 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

I tried many times over the years with just will power but always gave in within 2 months max,Tried the patches and gum but never sucessfull. had baby number 3 and moved house so wanted a fresh start, went to see my GP and was prescribed CHAMPIX, chose to give up on day 8 and so i did, only a year down the line but now realise how bad they smell and havent had the urge to touch on since, i feel alot healthier i myself too...Vicky
Old 11 February 2009, 02:43 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
She's gone to see them this afternoon, she phoned and they advised her to come down to their drop in centre.

I'm terrible with the support to stop smoking, and this might sound a bit big headed, but I gave up about 10 years ago and just stopped. Just stopped buying them - no cravings, no lapses, just stopped. Mind you it might have helped not being stoned as well
That was like us but the other way round. My wife was on 20 a day when I met her and she did the same as you about 8 years back now, just stopped one day and never smoked again.

She was supportive though when I was giving up.

Hardest bit for me was weight gain as I seemed to swap the cigs for Kit Kats so gained about 2 stone, but I've since got back into healthy eating so the weight is now going thankfully!!
Old 12 February 2009, 11:28 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was the same for me with the Maltesers!

Les