Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

do you think this guy went back for his trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2009, 01:21 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you think this guy went back for his trainer?

whatch reckon?

BBC NEWS | UK | Warning over level crossing risks
Old 09 February 2009, 01:22 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I just saw that on TV, What a raging bellend. If he is stupid enough to get squashed than so be it but the poor driver.....
Old 09 February 2009, 01:24 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

feel sorry for the train driver must of Sh1& bricks
Old 09 February 2009, 01:37 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

I was highly amused by the footage. You should see how people treat level crossings in other countries!
Old 09 February 2009, 01:41 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just posted my views on the other thread

Suffice to say, it's a shame there wasn't one coming the other way

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 09 February 2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09 February 2009, 01:48 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Just seen this on the news, I damn near choked on my sarnie!
Old 09 February 2009, 01:49 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Just posted my views on the other thread

Suffice to say, it's a shame there wasn't one coming the other way
You wished him to be dead?

Trending Topics

Old 09 February 2009, 01:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Part of my job is to operate these barriers at times, some of the things I have seen are unbelievable. The one with the car weaving in and out is so common.

I have seen women pushing prams under the barriers, trapping themselves inside, I even saw with my own eyes a woman pushing a pram under the barriers, realised she wouldn't make it and withdrew leaving the baby inside the barriers with her outside.

Someone jumped the barriers outside one of my signalboxes a couple of years ago, and got smashed to pieces.

These ***** have no comprehension of the impact it can have on the lives of those involved, Even near misses can have a driver off work for weeks.
Old 09 February 2009, 01:59 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I estimate 80% of the times the barriers are lowered someone jumps the lights, if only they would put traffic cameras on every crossing.
Old 09 February 2009, 02:22 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
one of my signalboxes
What do you do then?

After F1 driver, rally driver, F1 mechanic, Rally car mechanic train driver was up there with my favorite jobs of all time. Or at least something interesting and train related.
Old 09 February 2009, 02:41 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I reckon the train knocked his trainer off

Old 09 February 2009, 02:54 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

nice breakfast at 8 in the morning... I bet he's gonna remember that all his life
Old 09 February 2009, 03:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It really does amaze me that some people really don't "get" why the lights and barriers are there. They are NOT trying to delay you, or cause you to have a bad day, they are there to protect you. If you ignore this then you may well experience a very bad day indeed.

Unless there is a problem with the lights/barriers (if there are either/any) then if you're hit by a train, I don't have any sympathy for you. If it's an unmanned or barrier/lightless crossing then I'm somewhat more sympathetic, as it may be hard to tell if a train is approaching.
There's a crossing on the line between High Brooms and Tonbridge, and I've always been very, very wary of crossing there. The line does curve, so you don't have great visibility, and it's surrounded by trees, muffling sound. I do stop and listen wether I can hear the rails making any noise, as that can be the sign of a train approaching.

Oh and if there are any types out there who want to see what happens when you ignore the rules, do a search for "traingirl". It's a clip of a couple of people ignoring indications of an approaching train and one of the people pays the ultimate price.
Old 09 February 2009, 03:25 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
What do you do then?

After F1 driver, rally driver, F1 mechanic, Rally car mechanic train driver was up there with my favorite jobs of all time. Or at least something interesting and train related.
I'm a relief signaller on the North London Line, one of the locations I have to cover sometimes, has 2 CCTV crossing and one right below the signal box.

In one of my previous positions I had to work a remote panel with 9 CCTV crossing on, so have seen my fair share of stupidity on these, and deaths.
Old 09 February 2009, 03:44 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tenby
You wished him to be dead?

Bingo

It would certainly stop the fcukwit doing it again
Old 09 February 2009, 04:06 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Idiots.
Old 09 February 2009, 04:25 PM
filfy
Scooby Regular

Agree with crispduk,the only thing missing was another train coming the other way
These people are idiots and just a wast of blood and organs and deserve to be turned into pink mist.i would then make the parents clean up the mess and clean the train
Old 09 February 2009, 04:30 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Hell yeah
Old 09 February 2009, 04:38 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

I'm a relief signaller on the North London Line, one of the locations I have to cover sometimes, has 2 CCTV crossing and one right below the signal box.

In one of my previous positions I had to work a remote panel with 9 CCTV crossing on, so have seen my fair share of stupidity on these, and deaths.
Tis even worse when the barriers have failed and you have to manually lower and raise them you get to see some real impatient tw*ts.

S&T btw

P.S Must be paying you signallers too much looking at your car
Old 09 February 2009, 05:11 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisUK300
Tis even worse when the barriers have failed and you have to manually lower and raise them you get to see some real impatient tw*ts.

S&T btw

P.S Must be paying you signallers too much looking at your car

Oh yeah, I do feel for you guys (kind of ) when I'm drinking my tea in the box watching you on the CCTV, after some **** smacks a boom off.

What area do you work?
Old 09 February 2009, 05:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If anyone has been in Lincoln centre when there are lots of trains on, you can see why people do it: It gridlocks the city centre. They put the barrier down up to 5mins too early on some occasions, then after the five minute wait a train passes, as soon as its gone the barrier goes up. So you think great, hold up over, we're going to move. Nope: 1 minute later down it comes again for another five minutes before a train comes.

Last time it happened I got out the car and told my mate I'm off for a sandwich at Subway (no I didn't have to run over the level crossing ). By the time he pulled up outside, I had already eaten it and was about to head back.

Still: Level crossings - excellent tool for removing excess feejits from society (although rather unpleasant for the train driver, train passengers and witnesses).

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 February 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09 February 2009, 05:38 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If anyone has been in Lincoln centre when there are lots of trains on, you can see why people do it: It gridlocks the city centre. They put the barrier down up to 5mins too early on some occasions, then after the five minute wait a train passes, as soon as its gone the barrier goes up. So you think great, hold up over, we're going to move. Nope: 1 minute later down it comes again for another five minutes before a train comes.

Last time it happened I got out the car and told my mate I'm off for a sandwich at Subway (no I didn't have to run over the level crossing ). By the time he pulled up outside, I had already eaten it and was about to head back.

Still: Level crossings - excellent tool for removing excess feejits from society (although rather unpleasant for the train driver, train passengers and witnesses).

How else are we supposed to get our dinner ready/have a tab or a little nap.
Old 09 February 2009, 06:48 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, I do feel for you guys (kind of ) when I'm drinking my tea in the box watching you on the CCTV, after some **** smacks a boom off.

What area do you work?
We get our revenge box maintenance at 3 in the morning

Work at Wakefield up in sunny Yorkshire
Old 09 February 2009, 08:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

There is a web vid around, that shows what happens when the train is a little bit quicker.

ouch!!!

mart
Old 09 February 2009, 08:09 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10 February 2009, 01:07 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

These people are morons. The one on the news showing the car going across just missing the train by inches made me laugh. I mean the driver I don't think had any comprehension of what they were doing becos they didn't actually speed up at all.

What worries me is these idiots are driving and walking about when I'm on the road.
Old 10 February 2009, 09:26 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I can understand why people do it,

Its sheer frustration of dropping a barrier and then waiting for ages for a train to

pootle through, followed by the barrier staying down, and another train or 3 coming

through.

Where i live, one set of crossing gates is at the end of the platform, the next is about

200 yards after that!!! (its the ring road) so they drop both sets of barriers

whenever a train comes into the station. Rather than then lift the barrier to allow cars

to flow, they keep the barriers down for as long as the train is in the station...

If several trains arrive, due to delays / timing, the barriers stay down!!!!!!!!!!

You can wait upto 15 mins every time this happens.....

And it does every rush hour!!!

Yet the next crossing is an unmanned one.. max wait time 1-2 minutes...

Pr ehaps if they worked out altering there timing, they may avoid many of the

casualties

Mart
Old 10 February 2009, 09:35 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
I can understand why people do it,

Its sheer frustration of dropping a barrier and then waiting for ages for a train to

pootle through, followed by the barrier staying down, and another train or 3 coming

through.

Where i live, one set of crossing gates is at the end of the platform, the next is about

200 yards after that!!! (its the ring road) so they drop both sets of barriers

whenever a train comes into the station. Rather than then lift the barrier to allow cars

to flow, they keep the barriers down for as long as the train is in the station...

If several trains arrive, due to delays / timing, the barriers stay down!!!!!!!!!!

You can wait upto 15 mins every time this happens.....

And it does every rush hour!!!

Yet the next crossing is an unmanned one.. max wait time 1-2 minutes...

Pr ehaps if they worked out altering there timing, they may avoid many of the

casualties

Mart
Rework the entire passenger and freight timetables to avoid casualties. How about learn some patience and realise we don't lower these barriers for the fun of it. Some are HELD down by the presence of a train, and funnily enough it is to protect the general public, again not just for the fun of it.
Old 10 February 2009, 11:27 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Rework the entire passenger and freight timetables to avoid casualties. How about learn some patience and realise we don't lower these barriers for the fun of it. Some are HELD down by the presence of a train, and funnily enough it is to protect the general public, again not just for the fun of it.
Why is a barrier held down when a train is in the station (presumably well past the barrier)?

Is it like the traffic lights round here, waiting for people to cross, even if there is no one there? V frustrating!
Old 10 February 2009, 12:00 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Why is a barrier held down when a train is in the station (presumably well past the barrier)?

Is it like the traffic lights round here, waiting for people to cross, even if there is no one there? V frustrating!

A few reasons, there is something called an "overlap" which is basically the distance required to be clear if the train SPADS (signal passed at danger) - rare but it happens. Therefore to allow the train into the platform the barriers must be down and clear.

The signaller could most likely wait for this over lap to clear once the train is safely at a stand in the platform, allowing him to raise the gates, however by the time this is done the train will be ready to depart. So the barriers have to come down again, The public see the barriers raise, race towards them only to see them dropping down 30 seconds later, then make a bid to jump the lights/swerve round the barriers as seen in the video clips. Causing massive risk to others and railway infrastructure.

It's safer all round to leave them down.

Quick Reply: do you think this guy went back for his trainer?