Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fires in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2009, 09:16 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fires in Australia

Some pictures from a colleague who works in our Sydney office (she managed a couple of photos before escaping from the inferno):

Words fail me.

Last edited by RESSE; 09 February 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09 February 2009, 09:32 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's awful isn't it? I was watching the news last night and saw how some people died in their cars as they tried to escape. The fires came so quickly.

When I was in California last year a wild fire sprang up next door to our hotel and the speed at which they take hold is so scary
Old 09 February 2009, 09:52 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Pop another couple of king prawns on the barbie, will ya?
Old 09 February 2009, 10:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I feel very sorry for those who have suffered or worse-been burned to death.

The bad news we hear is that the fires were started deliberately by some deranged or vicious people.

Les
Old 09 February 2009, 11:12 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Many of these fires are now under investigation, meaning, many were started by people.

Australia is a fire ecology.
Old 09 February 2009, 01:11 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

Very sad to know that some were started by people on purpose
Old 09 February 2009, 01:25 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Pop another couple of king prawns on the barbie, will ya?
Bang out of order IMHO

Trending Topics

Old 09 February 2009, 01:26 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Although it's hard on those who have lost their lives and property, I am struggling to sympathise with them to much.

They chose to live within range of forests that were designed by God to go up in huge conflagrations on a regular basis, they aren't going to stop doing that just because humans now want to live near them

Although, if they do discover that some of them have been set deliberately, the ba5tards deserve a slow, painful death
Old 09 February 2009, 04:38 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minor technical point - but I don't think large scale bushfires were a feature until after the arrival of europeans in Australia.
Old 09 February 2009, 04:46 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Actually cster, they probably were

Eucalyptus trees are very oily, and the vapour (which can be seen as a blue mist in sunlight) is highly flammable. It is widely know to combust of it's own accord in the right temperature conditions, causing the oil within the trees themselves to vapourise, which in turn causes the trees themselves to literally explode

Additionally, there are certain types of tree in Australia whose seed will not germinate until they have been subjected to the extreme heat of a forest fire

Australia may seem a strange place, but Mother Nature definitely intended it to be that way
Old 09 February 2009, 04:48 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Everthing you never needed to know about Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09 February 2009, 05:03 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

My brother lives just outside Sydney.
Old 09 February 2009, 05:35 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk

Eucalyptus trees are very oily, and the vapour (which can be seen as a blue mist in sunlight) is highly flammable. It is widely know to combust of it's own accord in the right temperature conditions, causing the oil within the trees themselves to vapourise, which in turn causes the trees themselves to literally explode

Additionally, there are certain types of tree in Australia whose seed will not germinate until they have been subjected to the extreme heat of a forest fire

Australia may seem a strange place, but Mother Nature definitely intended it to be that way
Some of the worst fires we had here over the last decade were eucalyptus tree fires. The only way to hit it hard enough is with Fire bombers, and even then it is very difficult.
Old 09 February 2009, 06:11 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

I think if you examine tree ring data, you will stand corrected.
It is true that various species such like the Wattle do need fire to germinate, but these types of fires are far in excess of that requirement.

Last edited by cster; 09 February 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09 February 2009, 06:14 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

It's dreadful. I was watching this on the news this morning. People losing all their possessions and homes because some sad sack decided it would be fun to start a fire
Old 10 February 2009, 01:43 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Minor technical point - but I don't think large scale bushfires were a feature until after the arrival of europeans in Australia.
You are right. Aborigines back burned in a natrual and controlled manner, until "white" men told them that they couldn't do that anymore.

Even in summer, there is a remarkable volume of fuel that accumulates on the ground.
Old 10 February 2009, 03:23 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

A land of extremes....
Very bad fires down south (VIC) - still not out
Very bad flooding up North (QLD) - still not recedded

In fact was it last year that they had very bad fires in SA, Port Lincoln area ??
And flooding up north as well, last year ??

Oh, and dont forget the Cyclones. (One just off the WA coast, called Freddie)

The bad news is, (according to Lateline on ABC) these fires are predicted to become more frequent, due to many factors.
They reckon there will be a repeat of this (the worst Aussie fire EVER in terms of human deaths) within 10 years, whereas previously it was a "one in fifty" year occurance.

Their comments, not mine.
Old 10 February 2009, 04:40 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
You are right. Aborigines back burned in a natrual and controlled manner, until "white" men told them that they couldn't do that anymore.

Even in summer, there is a remarkable volume of fuel that accumulates on the ground.
I believe that well-intentioned but foolish enviromental laws now prevent the construction of physical fire breaks and the cutting back of bush for the same purpose too...
Old 10 February 2009, 07:13 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I believe that well-intentioned but foolish enviromental laws now prevent the construction of physical fire breaks and the cutting back of bush for the same purpose too...
You are not wrong! Staggering really. Aboriginies knew/know how to manage this land, but environMENTALists know better. Well, now the fedal Govn't has sent in the army to build fire breaks.

Apparently, just on the news tonight, Police have suspects for the Gippsland fires and that, potentially, 50% of the fires this w/e were started by arsonists.

Last edited by Klaatu; 10 February 2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10 February 2009, 07:17 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by velohead66
A land of extremes....
Very bad fires down south (VIC) - still not out
Very bad flooding up North (QLD) - still not recedded

In fact was it last year that they had very bad fires in SA, Port Lincoln area ??
And flooding up north as well, last year ??

Oh, and dont forget the Cyclones. (One just off the WA coast, called Freddie)

The bad news is, (according to Lateline on ABC) these fires are predicted to become more frequent, due to many factors.
They reckon there will be a repeat of this (the worst Aussie fire EVER in terms of human deaths) within 10 years, whereas previously it was a "one in fifty" year occurance.

Their comments, not mine.
After Katrina in 2005, there were similar predictions. Hasn't happened yet. Now, "scientists" are saying "We warmed you. With climate change, there will be more fires. This w/e is just the begining". I wonder how climate change (AGW via Co2 release that is) can be accused for people starting fires in Gippsland and potentially 50% of the fires this w/e.

The fires in NSW were also started by people. One man arrested on Saturday for one fire, promptly released. Then arrested again, for another fire, on Sunday. Another man, young man, 17 I think, arrested for starting another bush fire in the Lane Cove national park (I think it was).

Last edited by Klaatu; 10 February 2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10 February 2009, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was stated that the difficult to cope with fires, apart from the arsonists who started them, were due to the unusually low temperatures over the Indian Ocean with consequent low evaporation from the sea thus causing a lack of cloud cover and rain in that part of Australia. This led to the high temperatures and the tinder dry conditions which caused the extreme nature of the fires.

Les
Old 10 February 2009, 11:52 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Les, yes, that is a new study/report, I read it somewhere don't recall as there are so many now. In conjunction with a low cycle PDO, as well as being pretty "close" to the Sun too.

But, it's looking like many, far too many fires, were started by a person, a very sick person.
Old 10 February 2009, 11:56 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

So this is another story that 99% of the public will be told is caused by MMGW, when in fact it is mainly because envionmentalists have prevented fire breaks being built?

If that's so it's just another mmgw lie that the public will soak up like a sponge.
Old 10 February 2009, 12:06 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
So this is another story that 99% of the public will be told is caused by MMGW, when in fact it is mainly because envionmentalists have prevented fire breaks being built?

If that's so it's just another mmgw lie that the public will soak up like a sponge.
You are not wrong! We had "climate "scientists"" on TV last night, smugly stating that "We warned you this would happen!". You warned us at least 50% of these fires would be started by people? A-holes, in both camps!

Clear the "fuel", create fire breaks in fire prone areas (Australia is a fie ecology), "problem" gone. But the "problem" is, it's not policy.

Scary times ahead. This summer started cool, got a bit hot....no way near as hot as it usually gets for as long as it usually gets (Here in Sydney at least), and now, apart from being humid 95%, it's freaking cold outside (18c, Aussie summer???)!!!
Old 10 February 2009, 08:43 PM
4_play
Scooby Newbie

For those that know people in Sydney, Sydney is not affected at all. There was a small fire far north of sydney around 90-100k's away but no real threat. Sydney is miles away from melbourne and therefor anyone stating they have mates in sydney who have snapped up photo's is talking ****e. We have these every year.

The big fires are in victoria on the outskirts of melbourne.

Yes lots of money is being raised however, these people choose to live out in the bush and therefor tough luck. Yes we feel for the kids and animals that really don't have a choice.

and yes, the greenies are a problem, then so is government policy for letting people build and live in such bush regions.

Last edited by 4_play; 10 February 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10 February 2009, 08:46 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
You are not wrong! We had "climate "scientists"" on TV last night, smugly stating that "We warned you this would happen!". You warned us at least 50% of these fires would be started by people? A-holes, in both camps!

Clear the "fuel", create fire breaks in fire prone areas (Australia is a fie ecology), "problem" gone. But the "problem" is, it's not policy.

Scary times ahead. This summer started cool, got a bit hot....no way near as hot as it usually gets for as long as it usually gets (Here in Sydney at least), and now, apart from being humid 95%, it's freaking cold outside (18c, Aussie summer???)!!!

Are you in Sydney Klaatu? Do you know my brother?
Old 10 February 2009, 08:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im a little worried about my brother too. He lives near Adelaide now, so hopefully not at riask.
Old 10 February 2009, 09:33 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4_play
For those that know people in Sydney, Sydney is not affected at all. There was a small fire far north of sydney around 90-100k's away but no real threat. Sydney is miles away from melbourne and therefor anyone stating they have mates in sydney who have snapped up photo's is talking ****e. We have these every year.

The big fires are in victoria on the outskirts of melbourne.

Yes lots of money is being raised however, these people choose to live out in the bush and therefor tough luck. Yes we feel for the kids and animals that really don't have a choice.

and yes, the greenies are a problem, then so is government policy for letting people build and live in such bush regions.
I meant Melbourne, d*ckhead.
Old 11 February 2009, 01:05 AM
4_play
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Etheridge-Bird
I meant Melbourne, d*ckhead.
Me ???ckhead?, you meant melbourne but typed sydney, huh.
Old 11 February 2009, 01:14 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Are you in Sydney Klaatu? Do you know my brother?
Yes I am, and no I don't.

Quick Reply: Fires in Australia