Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tory Bankers

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2009, 01:16 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Tory Bankers

DAVID Cameron may well be red faced, however, I don't think he will utter any criticism of the two Tory donors who made a killing of £12 million on the back of Barclay’s share price last week.

From The Daily Mail:

Financiers Paul Ruddock and David Craigen have donated more than £300,000 to the party, most of it since David Cameron became leader.

Within hours of the ban on the controversial practice of short-selling being lifted last Friday, their company Lansdowne Partners sold shares in Barclays worth £28.4million.

They were bought back on Wednesday, by which time the bank’s value had nose-dived by almost £1 per share, netting a handsome profit for the financiers’ investors.

Another example of “Broken Britain”, perhaps? If so, Dave and the Tories are just the people to sort it, aren't they?

Interestingly, a sizeable proportion of Tory MPs sit on the Board of Banks Just the very people who have got us into this mess!!! And THEY want to be in power!!?? Do me a favour!
Old 04 February 2009, 01:19 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Do you work for New labour.... Or is this supposed to be read with a sarcastic twinge ?
Old 04 February 2009, 01:23 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I am no fan of New Labour at all .... I just think the debate needs two sides .... it is a simple warning that jumping into bed with the Tories would be a disaster.

Just a point of view
Old 04 February 2009, 01:26 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Your right, they are both shocking, they will both feather there own nests. Torys will need a few years to learn the best rip off tricks, this will give us a few years of fiscal relief whilst they dig the channels that will see our money trickle into there back accounts.
Labour have those channels well and truly dug, hence a change is needed.

Until a viable alternative is presented then we have no choice but to chop and change every few years.
Old 04 February 2009, 01:28 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

My point was that the Tories are responsible for this whole mess - due to them being on the Boards of the Banks for decades!!!!

The Tories know EXACTLY how to feather their beds, don't worry about them - they are the Party of Sleaze after all. Just that they do their corruption with an Orange in their mouth, stripped naked and hanging from the cieling with a bin bag over their heads!!)
Old 04 February 2009, 01:31 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp

The Tories know EXACTLY how to feather their beds, don't worry about them - they are the Party of Sleaze after all. Just that they do their corruption with an Orange in their mouth, stripped naked and hanging from the cieling with a bin bag over their heads!!)
Were they in INXS
Old 04 February 2009, 01:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

My point was that the Tories are responsible for this whole mess - due to them being on the Boards of the Banks for decades!!!!
LOL!
So to recap; the Tories got us into this mess because - NL set up the FSA who are in effect not up to the job, NL quite happily made hay (and taxes, etc) off of the back of the so called new wealth and used it at every opportunity to tell us how good they where and how good the country was doing whist the FSA failed to do anything as it really was not equipped with the people to really go to work and put in place the processes to stop the farcical practices that have gone on and left us in the mess that we now have.

Brilliant, not too sure why i never made the connection either!

How exactly is that the Tories fault then Pete???

Are you off of your medication again?
Old 04 February 2009, 01:59 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Another blinkered, pro labour thread by pete. I mean it's not as if labour haven't had there shaire of sleaze, back handers, afairs gay/and straight, the list goes on.
As for feathering their beds labour is just as guilty over the last 10 years or so they have been in power
Old 04 February 2009, 02:03 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

*Door closes as Pete buggers off after stiring things up*

Old 04 February 2009, 02:05 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I thought Pete was banned from starting political threads, in fact, I thought Pete was banned completely!
Old 04 February 2009, 02:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
I thought Pete was banned from starting political threads, in fact, I thought Pete was banned completely!
So you don't agree with what he posts hence you want him banned. It's a discussion forum for goodness sake.

Either discuss the topic or if you don't like it ignore it. How much simpler could it be?

There are posters on this forum far more worthy of a ban than SSU IMO, but I just ignore them.
Old 04 February 2009, 03:02 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

LOL, I don't think Paul3346 was ASKING for him to be banned, just wondering why he has reappeared in a different guise and is still trolling..........
Old 05 February 2009, 11:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you are going to make an accusation like that SSup, then you have to also include all the other politicians from all parties who are more interested in their own situation rather than running things for the sake of this country and the people.

As far as I am concerned, it is ridiculous to say that although we can all say what we like about todays egregious modern politicians on this forum, that SSuP should not be allowed to. Wanting him banned for doing so is the height of hypocrisy.

Les
Old 05 February 2009, 11:47 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

DAVID Cameron may well be red faced, however, I don't think he will utter any criticism of the two Tory donors who made a killing of £12 million on the back of Barclay’s share price last week.

From The Daily Mail:

Financiers Paul Ruddock and David Craigen have donated more than £300,000 to the party, most of it since David Cameron became leader.

Within hours of the ban on the controversial practice of short-selling being lifted last Friday, their company Lansdowne Partners sold shares in Barclays worth £28.4million.

They were bought back on Wednesday, by which time the bank’s value had nose-dived by almost £1 per share, netting a handsome profit for the financiers’ investors.

Another example of “Broken Britain”, perhaps? If so, Dave and the Tories are just the people to sort it, aren't they?

Interestingly, a sizeable proportion of Tory MPs sit on the Board of Banks Just the very people who have got us into this mess!!! And THEY want to be in power!!?? Do me a favour!

That is what I like about you, Pierre. You threads are always world class
Old 05 February 2009, 01:56 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Don't feed the hapless old troll - he's probably fending pikeys off his drive again (despite having previously claimed to be an old man, a wealthy property investor and various other walter mitty-esque things).
Old 05 February 2009, 04:47 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
How exactly is that the Tories fault then Pete???
I thought I had made it quite clear .....

1. The Bankers are to blame for this mess - the intelligent agree with this.

2. The Bankers are, in the most part, Tory MP's

Therefore, Tory MP's made the decisions which resulted in this mess - and the very same people are asking you to trust them with the country ... simple really.

I'm sure I'm not missing anything?
Old 05 February 2009, 04:51 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Except maybe a normal life, like the rest of us!
Old 05 February 2009, 04:52 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

And was it not the Labour party that gave the bank of England the power and responsibility of running the interst rates? Hence the mess?
Old 05 February 2009, 05:01 PM
ChrisB

So Pete, going through the major UK banks, details of all the MPs who sit on the board of directors then please...
Old 05 February 2009, 05:11 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Except maybe a normal life, like the rest of us!
You're the one stalking an Internet Character ........ NOT me!!
Old 05 February 2009, 05:13 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
And was it not the Labour party that gave the bank of England the power and responsibility of running the interst rates? Hence the mess?
I agree ... they should have kept control themselves - it wouldn't be in the mess it is now! However, everyone wanted the Bank to be Independant of the Political issues of the day (the Tories used the Bank of England as a Political Tool, remember!)
Old 05 February 2009, 05:18 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

A few of the old cronies:-

LORD WAKEHAM Enron Corporation; NM Rothschilds; Michael Page; Bristol & West; Vosper Thornycroft

LORD LAMONT Balli Group; Banca Commerciala Robank; Jupiter Financial and Income Trust plc; Rotch Group; Archipelago Fund

LORD HURD Hawkpoint Partners; Coutts and Co; Edelmans PR; Nippon Life Insurance

KEN CLARKE British American Tobacco; Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust; Alliance Unichem; Savoy Asset Management; Independent Newspapers

JOHN MAJOR Mayflower Corporation; Carlyle; Credit Suisse First Boston; Ditchley Foundation

LORD HOWE Framlington Russian Investment Fund; Fuji Bank; Carlyle

Pigs at the Trough!!
Old 05 February 2009, 08:14 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

So only one that you mention is an MP and that one doesn't appear to be a director of a High Street bank.....
Old 05 February 2009, 10:05 PM
ChrisB

Or how about Lord Simon, a labour peer...

Lord Simon has also been vice president of the European Round Table, a non-executive director of the Bank of England, Rio Tinto and Grand Metropolitan, and a member of the advisory boards of Deutsche Bank and Allianz
Old 05 February 2009, 10:15 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Pete mentioning all these Tory MP's that are on the boards of banks, or companies for that matter, is that not any different than say Lakshmi Mittal making a donation £2m to the Labour party?
Old 05 February 2009, 10:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

surely Mr Mittal is just hedging
Old 06 February 2009, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Complete waste of time trying to shift the blame onto one party or the other when it comes to dishonesty either in the banks or associated with them. They are all at it!

Les
Old 06 February 2009, 06:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A few of the old cronies:-

LORD WAKEHAM Enron Corporation; NM Rothschilds; Michael Page; Bristol & West; Vosper Thornycroft

LORD LAMONT Balli Group; Banca Commerciala Robank; Jupiter Financial and Income Trust plc; Rotch Group; Archipelago Fund

LORD HURD Hawkpoint Partners; Coutts and Co; Edelmans PR; Nippon Life Insurance

KEN CLARKE British American Tobacco; Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust; Alliance Unichem; Savoy Asset Management; Independent Newspapers

JOHN MAJOR Mayflower Corporation; Carlyle; Credit Suisse First Boston; Ditchley Foundation

LORD HOWE Framlington Russian Investment Fund; Fuji Bank; Carlyle

Pigs at the Trough!!
so to combat and stop this sort of thing going on the NL gov't with your beloved Tony Blair at the helm put in place the FSA who saved the day - oh, thats right they FAILED. best of all Gordon Brown being from a finance background should/would have known what was going on if he was also any good!

one example of many: Equitable Life: Ann Abraham?s recommendations and findings | New Model Adviser ® | Citywire

Pete FFS get a grip and stop foaming at the mouth - this was allowed by NL!

FSA should have policed the banks and financial institutions - THEY DID NOT!

Last edited by The Zohan; 06 February 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06 February 2009, 09:58 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

I thought this was a global crisis and no one was to blame, that's what you've been saying anyway

Could always ask a Labour peer nicely to create a law that'd stop tories being able to sit on the board of banks
Old 06 February 2009, 11:06 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuart n
I thought this was a global crisis and no one was to blame, that's what you've been saying anyway
That's quite true ...... Bankers worldwide .......

Quick Reply: Tory Bankers