Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another number plate query

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2009, 08:26 AM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another number plate query

On the BBC site there is this article: BBC NEWS | UK | 1 HRH and 1 O set for reg record

In the list it shows various registrations which have gone for very large amounts of cash. Like:

51 NGH = £254,000 (2006)
S1 NGH = £108,000 (1998)

Given that owners of vanity plates tend to alter spacing and use strategic bolts to influence the shape of letters and numbers isn't there a real risk that those two plates end up looking like the same registration ?

I wonder if the owners of the two cars get tickets for each other ?
Old 28 January 2009, 08:37 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ricardo

I wonder if the owners of the two cars get tickets for each other ?
They're probably both owned by our very own Deep .
Old 28 January 2009, 10:05 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

"There are no Vehicle Details for VRM 51NGH"

You can get a 51 plate which would be prefixed with 2 letters, and there are a LOT of the 51 NGH plates going around, as you can imagine.

I now take that all back, its a wierd one.

It was registered on a RR Phantom Drophead (on finance) by Barclays Assets but is not on anything now.

No record for S1 NGH though

Last edited by Snazy; 28 January 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 28 January 2009, 03:44 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

I think as long as you dont go completely stupid you wont get a ticket.....when you start adding black dots here and white dots there, with a squint and a tilt of the head your plate read Kumkwat, then its a bit daft.

I have had the same plate for 8 years and never been pulled for it....its been on many car but for the last 2 its been on my M3 that spends most of its time in the garage.

Old 28 January 2009, 03:59 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
They're probably both owned by our very own Deep .
Without posting here? The man cant spend money with doing that.

Btw, 'vanity plate' is an American term with no meaning here and the correct name is cherished (registration) number; calling it a 'private plate' is equally dumb.
Old 28 January 2009, 04:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if your dyxlesic private plates are much cheaper!!!
Old 28 January 2009, 04:53 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Just looking out to the car park, and one of the guys here has 4N on his Range Rover.

Wonder how much that's worth then ?

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2009, 04:56 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by falkster
I think as long as you dont go completely stupid you wont get a ticket.....when you start adding black dots here and white dots there, with a squint and a tilt of the head your plate read Kumkwat, then its a bit daft.

I have had the same plate for 8 years and never been pulled for it....its been on many car but for the last 2 its been on my M3 that spends most of its time in the garage.

"adding black dots here and white dots there". Kind of like adding a black line to the number 7 surely?? I have no idea why you have done that and your plate falls into the same category as kumkwat imho.
Old 28 January 2009, 05:08 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean, but when I was talking about tickets I meant for speeding, parking, bank robbery etc. going to the wrong owner because the two registrations could both be read the same. Witness: 'it said SINGH' on the plate, definitely, no doubt at all'....

The term 'vanity plate' works for me...
Old 28 January 2009, 05:33 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
"adding black dots here and white dots there". Kind of like adding a black line to the number 7 surely?? I have no idea why you have done that and your plate falls into the same category as kumkwat imho.
I dont think its to the degree you are trying to make out it is.

Why?? Lets have a guess, from my username you may be able to grasp my surname is Falk and thinking a little harder you may guess my Christian name begins with a C.
Old 28 January 2009, 05:34 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i think everyone knows what a vanity plate is so it obviously has meaning. perhaps it is annoying to you gc8 that it is american term and not british?
Old 28 January 2009, 05:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It is. My bad (do you see what I did there?)
Old 28 January 2009, 05:39 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

it is easier to change your name to W132 GGH, or E863 SBO or whatever you fancy, that way you won't have to move letters around or add debris to your number plate and look like an idiot to other road users. And it will be great fun in the doctors when they call 'Mr LJ02VOH please'
Old 28 January 2009, 06:09 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I dont think its to the degree you are trying to make out it is.

Why?? Lets have a guess, from my username you may be able to grasp my surname is Falk and thinking a little harder you may guess my Christian name begins with a C.
lol, wouldn't have got that, sorry. Alot of people write the number 7 with a line through it there, I would not in the life of me think that would be an F, it's the wrong way round for a start.

Last edited by ScoTTyB; 28 January 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 28 January 2009, 06:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but I use the ownership of a private plate as a danger signal when cycling, not always right but sometimes a good indicator for a snap judgement of how much of a ***** the driver of a car might be, funny ones tend to suggest the owner is actually ok, anything with a 1 at the end of some initials suggests a **** of the highest order as does obviously mispaced and fiddled with ones.

We have one I can put on my car but I dont like them,could do with selling it really, it was amusing on a Fiat 500 (old one) but looks naff of a newer car.

I like the old M3, it would look much better with its original plate, that isnt that bad a plate but cheapens a sought after classic sports saloon.

I do note the irony that my user id on here looks a bit like one, it wasnt intentional, JACKO wasnt available !

I never see JACKO post, can I have the proper username seeing as it isnt in use.