Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motorway Driving

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2009, 09:18 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Motorway Driving

Mainly a question fot those who use them regularly (unlike me).

How the **** do you put up with the fecking retarded mongs on them.

Went from Poole To Egham over the weekend and had a Tigra pull into my lane nearly taking the front of my car off (so close i couldn't see the rear of the Tigra).
Then they travelled for about a 100 odd yards then just pulled back into the lane they were before nearly smacking my car but they weren't letting anyone overtake.
Had a ****ty 405 diesel pull into the right hand lane (whilst i'm in it) for no fecking reason and then slowed down to 50ish mph whilst i 'm doing 70ish then travel about 100 yards and pull back into the middle lane.

On the A30 (dual carriageway) 2 beemers were deciding to have a fecking race and nearly smacked into the back of my car.

Pulling onto the motorway i'm indicating plenty of space in the lane then i'm nearly side swipped by a stupid bitch a 4X4 who decides that she wants exactly the same space and changes lanes without indicating and looking(thank **** for impreza acceleration and me being paranoid)

The amount of middlelane morons is ridiculous
Old 27 January 2009, 09:26 AM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...And breathe!
Old 27 January 2009, 09:32 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

You sound like a bloke at work, "I've had 15 bosses and every single one of them were utter tw*ts and held my career back!"

Old 27 January 2009, 09:47 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Anticipate stupidness from every car on the motorway and drive defensively. It works pretty well.
Old 27 January 2009, 10:13 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Excpect everyone to drive like an idiot and try to leave plenty of space.
I drive motorways 20 miles everyday and see the things you describe all the time
Old 27 January 2009, 10:19 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

If you have been on the M3 then I feel I have to point out.. People in Surrey have a different code of driving, Basically everyone on the road believes they are more important than not only you but the law too.

Speed limits are a suggestion and lane etiquette is a rumour. The A30 into Egham is not a public road but actually but the play ground of millionaire's children in 100k Porsches racing between Wentworth and Sunningdale.

What you have to remember is that most of the people around here are idiots and will die in the arms of a scabby hooker before they reach 30.

All that aside did you go to the magna carta site? Pretty isnt it.
Old 27 January 2009, 10:25 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very annoying that sort of thing. I can understand why you were angry.

As far as I know, when you join a motorway, the traffic already on it has right of way. Unlike USA where the joining traffic has right of way.

The worst thing is when you are on the inside lane approaching a junction and you have someone coming up behind you in the middle lane so that you can't pull out for joining traffic. It can be very dangerous if the joining traffic insists on pulling out just as you get there.

Les

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2009, 10:25 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timwinner
If you have been on the M3 then I feel I have to point out.. People in Surrey have a different code of driving, Basically everyone on the road believes they are more important than not only you but the law too.

Speed limits are a suggestion and lane etiquette is a rumour. The A30 into Egham is not a public road but actually but the play ground of millionaire's children in 100k Porsches racing between Wentworth and Sunningdale.

What you have to remember is that most of the people around here are idiots and will die in the arms of a scabby hooker before they reach 30.

Thank you for pointing that out Tim the transgresions were obviously mine
My mate lives near Royal Holloway and you do hear the sports car having a quick hoon up and down the road.
Believe it or not i've not bothered going to the Magna Carta site
Old 27 January 2009, 10:54 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I grew up in Surrey (Cobham then West Horsley nr the A3/M25 interchange) and "escaped" to Cornwall aged 14. Did a brief stint back there after uni and used to head there when we lived inLondon.

Could not agree MORE with your comments.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I started off in Hersham which I bet you remember Matteeboy, my sister lives in East Horsley now and we visit her regularly. Timwinner is dead right in what he says, and I would never want to live there any more.

Les
Old 27 January 2009, 11:31 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Les - I do remember it.

Used to be a Ferrari garage in East Horsley but it shut down ages ago. At least Bell and Colville (Lotus) is still in West Horsley! I could not have grown up in a more petrolheaded area really. Plus Dad was in the rat race then so had a string of porkers, Quattros and other fun cars.

Wasn't a bad place to grow up but I'd never go back.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:31 AM
JPF
Scooby Regular

I love driving on motorways, when they're empty. I quite regularly go home on M11 from Cambridge to M25 and also the A1 from A14 to Wakefield. there are some real ankers out there especially on the A1, most the ***** are driving normal cars too most performance car drivers seem to drive quite sensibly to me.
Some people drive at speeds that I wouldn't dream of driving at in traffic, they don't indicate or even look before changing lanes!
The thing I hate the most though is people that tailgate at ridiculous speeds, I mean what are they thinking!

As said in others posts, the best thing is to drive defensive, I look way way ahead at all lanes as well as the cars immediately in front of me of course.
Create as much space as poss, sometimes if there's no traffic behind me I'll sit in the fast lane for a bit and stay as far away as poss.
If there is lots of traffic up ahead I slow down and match speed or tuck into the slow lane and slow down(I know, bit of a no brainer that but its amazing the amount of people that don't) I hardly ever need to use my breaks on the motorway due to the fact I actualy pay attention to what others are doing( seem to have dveloped a sixth sense, getting quite good at predicting what others are going to do).
Its very worrying when you see traffic slowing up ahead and some **** goes steaming past only to have to put there breaks on hard, I mean are these people extremely short sighted or what?!

If you can get out the way of someone steaming up behind you as soon as poss then do it, that way u wont have to deal with tailgaters, that and it is only polit after all(also common sense I guess). If you cant get out of the way and the car behind(usually a BMW or Audi with me) tailgates then I'll sit until they move back a bit and then get out of their way if I can. Not a good idea to sit in front of a tailgater at speed I know, but I refuse to be bullied of the road and as soon as they back away I get out of their way. Personally I think its fare enough if your already doing the speed limit or maybe a wee bit more in some cases.

It does feel like a bit of a battleground sometimes, the police never seem to be about when people do ridiculously stupid things, like weaving through traffic. I see more police with cameras on bridges than out looking for stupid drivers.

What is really really scary is driving in bad weather or at night with bad weather, OMG!! people are insane!!
Seen all sorts of small cars, people carriers, cars with wheels the width of a dinner plates, cars you know cant handle speed at the best of times, just steam past at way over the limit when really even the limit isn't safe to drive at anymore.

Stay safe peeps, its a war out there.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:33 AM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Old 27 January 2009, 12:30 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

went from nottingham to bigglewade, people carrier sat in middle lane overtaking traffic on the inside, next thing i know he wandering over my lane. had to hoot at him when he was about 2 foot from my car before he realised what he was doing, his wife look well miffed at him lol

was a new pants moment though