Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Card Sentenel - renewed without permission - be warned

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2009, 08:17 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Card Sentinel - renewed without permission - be warned

Jenny took out the basic Card Sentinel cover when she got her Cap One card.

Three years on, we chose not to renew, did not return the paperwork to say that we wanted cover. It is insurance so will expire on its own or so we thought...
...Card Sentinel then took it upon themselves to renew the membership for 3 years at £ 50.00
Cap One are little or no help, nor are card Sentinel stating that we had to request that it NOT be renewed and just not returning the paperwork is not enough!

Taking the payment pushed the card over its limit, Christmas had been a busy time and we knew it was close but still under its limit - no problem - until they took out the Card Sentinel payment of £ 50.00 which pushed it over its limit and also incurred charges.

Now, when we call Cap One we get put straight through to collections, who will not transfer us to customer services as they will not speak to us as the card is in collections!

The usual Indian/Pino call centres who give you the run around and no help
Speak to Sentinel and they say speak to Cap One and vise verse - it is terrible practice and it is like they hope you will get bored and just give up.

We feel like we have been royally screwed over and there is little or nothing we can do, no one at CS or Cap One will help or try to get involved - they just say call the onther company - no ownership or help.

Does anyone have any advice on how to cancel and get our money back for what we consider to be fraud!

Others be warned:
Card Sentinel - for a company supposed to offer protection it seems happy to take money out of accounts without the card holders' consent!
Cap One seem to be happy to let the likes of Card Sentinel take you over the agreed credit limit on the card and then charge you for the privilege

Last edited by The Zohan; 27 January 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 27 January 2009, 08:35 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Common practice unfortunately, it is almost like the crazy opt in , opt out scheme we have over here. Everything is meant to be by default set to opt-in and you actually have to ask or confirm that you want to carry a service on. Had the same thing with Lovefilm a year ago. Cancelled my service with them and asked for envelopes to return the DVD's I had. No response so just thought ' bugger it, the debit card has expired that they took it off so they will just have to contact me'. Got nothing for over a year and then all of a sudden I get emails stating that I need to renew my car etc.

Transpired that they had been taking the money out of my account for all that time (didnt notice as it had an odd name on the statement and was for exactly the same amount as another similar DD). Talking to the bank they said that they can keep on taking money out even if the card has expired

Makes you wonder
Old 27 January 2009, 09:19 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Common practice unfortunately, it is almost like the crazy opt in , opt out scheme we have over here. Everything is meant to be by default set to opt-in and you actually have to ask or confirm that you want to carry a service on. Had the same thing with Lovefilm a year ago. Cancelled my service with them and asked for envelopes to return the DVD's I had. No response so just thought ' bugger it, the debit card has expired that they took it off so they will just have to contact me'. Got nothing for over a year and then all of a sudden I get emails stating that I need to renew my car etc.

Transpired that they had been taking the money out of my account for all that time (didnt notice as it had an odd name on the statement and was for exactly the same amount as another similar DD). Talking to the bank they said that they can keep on taking money out even if the card has expired

Makes you wonder
How can they take money off a expired card? that cant be right or legal.
Old 27 January 2009, 09:56 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Card Sentinel have done this for years ..... they offer 6 months free, or something like that, they say you can cancel after that time if you wish - the reality is much different.

If I am offered a FREE TRIAL of something I will never sign up if it requires a DD Mandate ...... my offer to them is, "IF I am happy I will send it to them at the end of the Free Trial" amazingly, they rarely agree to that offer (you have to ask yourself why!).

Also, the DD Guaratee isn't worth the paper it's written on - it was designed to 'sooth' peoples natural fear of allowing others access to their accounts - the Banks ALWAYS side with the collecting organisation in any dispute!
Old 27 January 2009, 10:59 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
How can they take money off a expired card? that cant be right or legal.
see what pete wrote. It seems as long as the card is expired, the bank will still allow the debits to be taken as the amount is linked to your bank account and not the card so be very wary
Old 27 January 2009, 12:32 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'm glad I get mine free with my lloyds gold account
Old 27 January 2009, 12:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Also, the DD Guaratee isn't worth the paper it's written on - it was designed to 'sooth' peoples natural fear of allowing others access to their accounts - the Banks ALWAYS side with the collecting organisation in any dispute!
This is VERY true. I had a problem with a broadband supplier continuing to take payments for 6 months after I had changed. Halifax didn't want to know even though it clearly states that if the bank or the 3rd party have made a mistake, the bank will refund you and then take up the issue with the 3rd party.

Not a freaking bit of it. They said how do we know you haven't using the service so I had to explain that I only had one telephone line and therefore could only have one supplier. In the end I made Halifax call Wannadoo in front of me and arrange the refund.

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2009, 12:56 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
I'm glad I get mine free with my lloyds gold account
Hmmmmm, I think you may find that your monthly charge pays for it!
Old 27 January 2009, 12:59 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

It is a disgrace that the Banks, who are responsible to YOU, always side with the Organisation who are taking the money from your account.

When I ask for a DD to be cancelled they 'try' to give me a lecture on how I have to let the collector know what I am doing ....... I tell them that is my business, my instructions are clear do NOT pay a penny more on that particular DD.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ok so the £12 I pay covers my iPhone the aa and travel insurance.which I use alot.and sentenel on top. So for the monthly charge I can't complain free in my eyes as I wouldn't have the cover if it wasn't included in the membership.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its practiced by quite a few companies:

For example: Tracker.

I paid for 12months via debit card (which expired several months afterwards). Upon renewal, I didn't bother renewing (can't be arsed; insurance didn't stipulate it that year ), so binned the renewal. Low and behold next months statement had a debit taken by tracker. Even though the debit card number they used is no longer valid!

Had the same with Direct Line rescue too (My insurance is now with Zurich, which includes vehicle recovery, so I don't need it and binned the renewal). Yup, they went and debited my credit card!

The main reason why I don't use direct debits is to have better control on the outgoings of my current accounts. But what is the point if companies like this just take out money ***** nilly without the need for a DD mandate or even a valid card number?

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 January 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 27 January 2009, 02:02 PM
Rorschach
Scooby Regular

Read the small print or pay the price.
Old 27 January 2009, 02:51 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Admiral Car Insurance do the same thing ....... they demand a current Credit Card so that they can "helpfully" make sure you are always insured!!

You MUST remember to tell them in writing that you forbid them from accessing your account and get them to confirm in writing ..... e-mails are as valid legally.

Be smart, be safe ....
Old 27 January 2009, 03:06 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The main reason why I don't use direct debits is to have better control on the outgoings of my current accounts. But what is the point if companies like this just take out money ***** nilly without the need for a DD mandate or even a valid card number?
That is the reason I only use direct debits is to have ultimate control. Once I'VE decided I know longer need something I log into my bank and click cancel direct debit, sorted. It couldn't be any easier.

Debit or credit cards can be just another hassle to chase up whereas direct debits are simple to end.
Old 27 January 2009, 03:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sadly I've had companies continue to DD even when I cancelled, incurring bank charges for bounced DDs, because for whatever reason the 3rd party "lost" my cacellation instruction..

Standing order on the otherhand is a much better way to do automated payment.

Standing orders are with the bank to pay out, rather than than a DD where you give a 3rd party the permission to take out.

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 January 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 27 January 2009, 03:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Sadly I've had companies continue to DD even when I cancelled, incurring bank charges for bounced DDs
Ali, I can't for 1 minute believe that. A cancelled direct debit is cancelled, end of, there is nothing, no pathway to claim on.

In all the years I've been banking it has never once been successfully attempted and as for charges well, get a good bank with an account manager.