Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another question for the fitness experts (again)...

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2009, 02:24 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

What about if you cycled the four miles, what would be the burn/loss rate in comparison?

*brisk cycle, not leisurely
Old 02 January 2009, 02:52 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to be very fit, but the last 15 yrs ive sat on my **** and done bugger all in the way of fitness.

I've just purchased a good quality cross trainer and in just the 2 days ive been using it (once in the morning and once in the evening for 10min) I feel great.
Ive got that tingley feeling back inside me after doing a little on the cross trainer. Just like i use to when Speed skating and playing roller hockey.
Im also not interested in building mussels, just want to loose the big gut ive got !
Old 02 January 2009, 03:41 PM
B1BFlyer
Scooby Newbie

Your calorie burn is going to depend on time, not just distance. You can slow jog 1.5 miles and burn less calories than a brisk walk of 3 miles. Also if you sustain an elevated heart rate for longer than 20 minutes, you're building more endurance and keeps your body's metabolic rate increased for longer after you finish your workout.

Here's something you may want to use to judge your calorie burn:
Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator | CaloriesPerHour.com

Lastly it also sounds like you're doing this daily. Your body needs to rest, especially after harder more taxing workouts. You can do a light workout for the day after a very tough workout, but don't push it up every day or your body won't catch up and you won't realize as many of the benefits as if you were to rest.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 02 January 2009, 04:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im doing the same sort of thing mate, and its having a good effect. Burning calories like no tomorrow lol.
Walking approx 18km's a day with the dogs. a 9km circuit takes about 1 hour 20 mins, and apparently burns about 850 calories. By rough calculation. Which is similar to when I was running tbh
Old 02 January 2009, 04:28 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I use this link to plan my cycle routes etc.
When you input a route you'll see a box open up on the main screen which allows you to put in time/ your weight etc and will calculate distance/ calories etc for you. It even gives elevation so it knows if you are walking/cycling harder to get up a hill.
You don't need to register, just use it as a guest. You'll be able to see other routes in your area also.
Running Routes - WalkJogRun
Old 02 January 2009, 04:38 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
I've just started walking 4 miles a day and cut all the cr4p out of my diet as I need to lose weight again. I lost a stone August/September last year by jogging 1.25 miles and then walking it back to home either every day or every other day. Once I had my summer holiday though I piled that stone back on and did no exercise and eating/drinking loads from October to now

Is walking 4 miles every day going to burn more calories/lose weight quicker than if I jog for 1.25 miles and then walk 1.25 miles?

The 4 miles takes me an hour and I am assuming that even though it's low impact and i'm not sweating my ar$e off compared to jogging this is still better as it lasts longer and is every day?

Once i've done a week of the 4 miles a day I then will add 30 mins each evening on the exercise bike I've got.

Not interested in muscle building so not doing any sit ups etc just purely losing my gut which will only come from walking/running/cycling and eating a lot less?

This is something I have to keep up as the Mrs wants me trimmed down for our wedding and my reward is that she will finally let me have a dog if I achieve a flat stomach compared to the 'pregnant' look I have now. Absolutely desperate for a dog (11 years since I last had one) so desperate to lose the weight as fast as possible and get my dog!
You are better off walking rather than jogging or running, save the knees.

I regularly do a 2hr 8mile walk, i weigh myself before and after and always come back 2lbs lighter. I have worked out 1lb of this is in water and the other 1lb in body fat.

So to lose a stone and still eat the same i am required to walk this 8 mile route 14 times over. I actually did do this last summer and it worked for me, lost about a stone in weight with about as many walks.

I didnt class it as exercising, dieting and apart from the odd blister here and there i found this to be the perfect way to lose weight without the usual hassle of pounding the treadmill or going on cabbage soup diets.

Measure out a 4 mile route, there and back so 2hrs of walking and the weight will fly off. Do the obvious saturday and sunday and if you can a couple of days during the week.

Get a dog and an ipod and you wont get bored of it.

Easy

Last edited by Mitchy260; 02 January 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02 January 2009, 04:50 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Im doing the same sort of thing mate, and its having a good effect. Burning calories like no tomorrow lol.
Walking approx 18km's a day with the dogs. a 9km circuit takes about 1 hour 20 mins, and apparently burns about 850 calories. By rough calculation. Which is similar to when I was running tbh
Do you not live in the UK Snazy? Whats with the Km measurements
Old 02 January 2009, 04:54 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Bob, I'm trying to do something similiar. Although my wife and children want a rat of a dog so perhaps it'll make me fitter as I'll have to carry the stupid little thing when it gets tired.

What dog are you after?

Steve
Old 02 January 2009, 05:17 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Yes, brisk walking is better than running for losing weight.
This is a myth often quoted by the fat and lazy! Brisk walking for a given period does not burn as much fat as jogging, provided the "jogging" is actually jogging. Walking does, however, burn a higher proportion of fat per energy expended than jogging.
Sit ups, crunches or whatever would also be a good idea to help tone up the abdominals. No need to go crazy- just let your abs know you're on the case- and visible results will be quicker.
Old 02 January 2009, 05:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I've so far settled on Cocker Spaniel as my Aunt has bred them and got to play with one from her last litter and it was a great little dog but have just found out she wont be breeding them any more (too much work) so will have to find some where else reliable to get one from.
My last dog was a Cocker Spaniel and he was brilliant with babies and children. Very enthusiastic, if a little too excitable when I used to come home: grabbing one of my shoes and running like a crazy around the house with it before coming back and wagging his whole body as the tail wasn't enough. He would certainly out-walk / run me.

Good luck with the weight loss.

Steve
Old 02 January 2009, 05:36 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Does this not just build muscle though? I thought they weren't any use for actually burning the fat? If that's wrong i'll start doing them!
You won't build any muscle with just a few reps, or lose much, if any, fat, but you will tighten up your stomach muscles, and help pull in your gut!
Don't let my comments above put you off walking!
Remember, if you get a pup, you'll have to take it easy on the walking until it's about a year old, so a rescue mutt would be an excellent idea. We have 2!
Old 02 January 2009, 05:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Do you not live in the UK Snazy? Whats with the Km measurements
I do believe its called a preference

I am seeing similar sorts of losses to you.
I have to admit coming back from a decent walk is far more pleasent than ending a hard run. Wearing clothes soaked in your own sweat is never appealing. lol
Old 02 January 2009, 05:41 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

For the 8 miles i'd just have to do my current route twice. Need to have a drive about and see how far the pavement goes on a route that goes down a very long and very steep hill as that will help with the calories on the way back up it.

Got the iphone on the go and about the only time i've used it for music (apart from on holiday) and it's been great. Only the dog to add to make it even better but have to get rid of the huge gut first before the Mrs lets me get a dog. Really enjoying the cold fresh air too and going in the middle of the day so not too cold.
The thing with doing a route twice is there is too much of a temptation to head home after the 1st.

If you walk 4 miles out, you have no choice, you have to walk the 4 miles back

If you do stick to your 4 miler, its probably safe to assume you'll need to do this 28 times to lose 14lbs. Of course, we are all different shapes and sizes but it works for me, im around 5'10 and 12st, so i guess if you're heavier and shorter, you may lose a little more or taller and thinner, maybe a little less. Lots of variables yes, but works for me.

Best thing to do is get on the scales before and then after to find how much you can expect to lose per walk and then base how many walks you need to do to get your desired weekly weight loss drop.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 02 January 2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08 January 2009, 09:34 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

A proportion of your weight loss will be down to your reduced calorie intake. (I take it you are now eating healthily and proportionately?)

This should have settled down now so i doubt your next weeks weight loss will be 7lbs, probably more like half of that. You are always likely to lose a lot in the 1st week or 2, but after that it gets a little more difficult.

If you manage a further 7lbs, make sure you're not starving yourself. It's good in the short term but once you have a decent sized meal, it will pile all back on again. If you are eating like a horse and drinking like a fish and still losing 7lbs, i'd be surprised.

Aim for 3lbs a week from now on in and you'll be doing it correctly.

Good luck

Last edited by Mitchy260; 08 January 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08 January 2009, 09:51 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Totally unscientific but:

I cycle 10 miles every day (all very hilly) and barely break a sweat, even when I cane it.
I run 3-5 miles a few times and week and it utterly knackers me out (all off road, hilly and doing around 7 min miles).
I walk 3 miles a day (with the dog) and hardly notice it.

So surely running burns the most calories?!
Old 08 January 2009, 10:01 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember muscles get used to repetition so try to mix it up to burn more calories.
Walk one day, Cycle another, change speed etc.

Lately I have been doing core muscle exercises, these are a great way to start your training regime and strengthen up your lower back which is very important.
Old 08 January 2009, 10:27 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Bravo - we walk our dog at a very brisk pace - or she gets bored! If we don't walk her, I run with her. Just can't do slow ambling.

Won't getting a dog help you achieve your aims?

4 miles in an hours isn't bad for walking. I do the same distance (with lots of hills, stiles, gates, etc) in about 30-32 mins running but am whacked at the end of it. Good if you're feeling it though - I don't feel I've done exercise properly unless I ache or am truly knackered. It's a good habit to get into.
Old 08 January 2009, 10:53 AM
ChrisB

There are arguments and studies that suggest you can burn more calories through short, sharp bursts of exercise than steady, low intensity sessions.

A Google for "HITT Training" will turn up plenty of information.

Quick Reply: Another question for the fitness experts (again)...