Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2002, 03:16 PM
coolchris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Got up in a grumpy mood today, after working late, got fixed penalty 4 doing 68 in a 40 in a three lane rd,now I am really grumpy, they used a hand held laserline, does any body now any details on it, i said the speed was high and asked if it had been calibrated today, he said he had not calibrated it today because it calibrates its self, I asked him to confirm this and he did, his partner was just quiet, asked about my nicked scooby, he said it would be in bits now and the guys rarely get caught,so i said only speeders hey!time 4 a few beers!, any info on laserline, is he correct! cheers chris
Old 19 February 2002, 03:26 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Chris,
Below is an extract from http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk about laser guns.
Doesn't look good for you.

Andy

Calibration: Laser devices are self-calibrating. The device itself performs verification at power on, but the police must also check the device at the start and end of each tour of duty of the device. They often check the device against a patrol car with a calibrated speedometer, referred to as calibration verification. A record of the check must be made - usually in the officer's pocket book. If a calibration defect is found, the unit is returned to the manufacturer. Once a year the calibration is performed by the manufacturer or a certified agent, and a certificate of calibration is issued to the police. A visible sticker showing the date of calibration must be fixed to the device along with lead seals similar to what you would have on your electric meter.

Old 19 February 2002, 04:14 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I think they were lenient to give you a fixed penalty. >66 in a 40 mph zone and you could have got a ban so I don't think you would want to contest this by going to the magistrate. £60 quid and 3 points is not worth crying over. The same thing happened to me before christmas.
Old 19 February 2002, 05:06 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Unless of course they knew they were in the wrong, so they just gave you a little fine.
Old 19 February 2002, 08:18 PM
coolchris
Scooby Regular

Talking

Glad it wasn't over 70, but I still don't agree with the speed, u could say doing 68 gave me good value! but i thought i was near 40, it was just his manner, I get a funny feeling when some body is not right with me.
Old 19 February 2002, 09:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

It might seem un-just, but taking the fixed penalty will be a lot cheaper than having a day off work to go to court to contest things (plus legal fees etc.).

Sadly Plod has the upper hand, and magistrates will believe them 100%.

If you do feel like contesting it, you might be better off stating that your speed was measured on a device calibrated in Imperial units, rather than Metric. Thus the local Trading Standards guys would prosecute Plod on your behalf

mb
Old 19 February 2002, 09:33 PM
coolchris
Scooby Regular

Wink

Think yr right, i done 40k/yr 4 past 3 yrs in Scooby, so I have had a good run! shame to loose thet clean licenset hough, cheers chris
Old 19 February 2002, 09:38 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL at Boomer