Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been a victim of online fraud?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2008, 06:26 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been a victim of online fraud?

Looks like I'll now be joining that list .

Just checked my account online and a few grand has been taken out.
Phoned Halifax and it's a case of my account being accessed through the online service so it's all been locked while they investigate. I'm apparently covered by their online fraud guarantee so should be refunded within a couple of weeks regardless of whether they track where the money has gone or not.

Anyone else been through this, especially with the Halifax? If so, were they any good?
Old 30 November 2008, 06:27 PM
Will
BANNED

No but i do feel for you mate, bad one.
Old 30 November 2008, 06:28 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I've been done by card details being used but not having online access compromised, that's scary

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.
Old 30 November 2008, 06:30 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

My brother this week they stole is credit card details and spend over £2000.
Old 30 November 2008, 06:32 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I have had my credit and debit card done. So annoying. I feel for you. But it was sorted out in the end, Its just such a pain in the meantime.

One day a bunch of us will fly to whatever god forsaken country the people that do this are from and give them a royal seeing to!
Old 30 November 2008, 06:40 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
I've been done by card details being used but not having online access compromised, that's scary

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.
I'm always careful with my details, whether it's going to the cashmachine or using the online service. I very rarely buy anything online either, must be more than a couple of years since I last did.

Only thing I can think of was a virus that we had a few weeks back.
Old 30 November 2008, 08:04 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only via ebay.
Eventually came out on top.

Trending Topics

Old 30 November 2008, 08:27 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had just over £250 taken out of my account by chip and pin in india!!
Old 30 November 2008, 08:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaOne
had just over £250 taken out of my account by chip and pin in india!!
Thats about 6 months wages out there i think

Tony
Old 30 November 2008, 08:32 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Been attempted on twice. Once via paypal who were absolutely useless, but I was lucky in that I kept all receipts/proof etc. They still sided with the fraudster, as they always seem to do, but I won in the end.

Had my card cloned at King's Cross Station - was drunk. Luckily for me I hid my pin well so they tried to access my account from Australia but failed, and my bank called me straight away. Nat West were

Last edited by fatherpierre; 30 November 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 30 November 2008, 10:24 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Had my card cloned at King's Cross Station - was drunk. Luckily for me I hid my pin well so they tried to access my account from Australia but failed, and my bank called me straight away. Nat West were
Another vote for Natwest. Called me within 5 mins of suspect transaction to ask if I was trying to buy something in Indonesia. As I was lounging on my sofa at the time, I said no. Transaction had been denied anyway, card cancelled and my new card was with me in under 5 days.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:45 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

I recieved a letter on saturday saying congratulations activating your new Platinum Mastercard.

i dont have a credit card & never have, not a fan of them.

Tried ringing my bank but didnt have a clue what they was saying in india so i went down to my local branch & their currently investigating it.

After thinking about it im wondering if a application for a card has went to the wrong address & some one has applied for a card in my name.

Similar thing happened with the couple that lived next door but one last year, the son of the family that moved in had applied for cards in the previous owners name & went on a bit of a spending spree. So im hoping he hasnt done the same to me.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:54 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
I recieved a letter on saturday saying congratulations activating your new Platinum Mastercard.

i dont have a credit card & never have, not a fan of them.

Tried ringing my bank but didnt have a clue what they was saying in india so i went down to my local branch & their currently investigating it.

After thinking about it im wondering if a application for a card has went to the wrong address & some one has applied for a card in my name.

Similar thing happened with the couple that lived next door but one last year, the son of the family that moved in had applied for cards in the previous owners name & went on a bit of a spending spree. So im hoping he hasnt done the same to me.
[fone-jacker on]

please give me your sort code and account details.

you have won a cash prize.

[off]
Old 01 December 2008, 03:35 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Our Lead Structural engineer purchased a tractor 2 months ago - sent off 10,000 GBP to Spain . All on what appeared to be a kosher web site etc. Unfortunately no tractor transpired and the fraudster is still hawking the tractor around the net on another site now. Apparently british cops not interested.
Old 01 December 2008, 07:10 AM
c-o-l-e
Scooby Regular

I signed up for web hosting from streamline.net, but because I was already using fasthosts for hosting (I was trying to set up multiple mirrors) it couldn't be set up (streamline.net is a fasthosts reseller), so I asked just to cancel it and forget it.
Over a year later the owner of streamline.net upgraded the account that I asked to be canceled to an all singing all dancing £85.00 per month hosting account and billed my card for it.
I reported it to my card provider and got my money back.
A large number of people had money taken from their cards illegally and the police have been involved repeatedly, but the guy is still operating.

I tried to buy land on eBay as a carbon offsetting initiative "Plant a Tree 4 Life", but after paying through PayPal I received nothing from the seller, every email was ignored until I opened a PayPal dispute.
The seller asked me for my details for the land transfer documents, which I sent by email and eBay message, but after a week I still received nothing.
I contacted a previous buyer who told me he'd never received any deeds for land and had even been asked to pay more money for land registry fees, and never got his money back.
I filed a claim for refund and after about a week my money was refunded.
I received a number of messages from the seller calling me a time waster, so I reported the guy to eBay, but the guy is still operating.

I myself sell a few things on eBay and recently I've had a number of people attempting to return their broken/faulty goods in place of those that I've sold to them.
One buyer has been trying to return a speaker and sent me pictures of a damaged speaker of the same model, but with a number of noticeable differences.
Another buyer bid up a hard drive beyond it's second hand value and asked to return it as faulty. When I told him I had tested the drive with a 35 pass wipe and had recorded the serial number to prevent return fraud he didn't reply again.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:15 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Doing anything "online" is like porking someone you've just met, pissed, both parties that is, in a pub. You need to take precaution.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:26 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

To put a different perspective on this.
We took a card purchase over the phone in our shop for a few hundred quid a short while ago. In the end this turned out to be a fraudulent transaction and the money has since been returned to the rightful owner.
There was no reason to suspect there was anything strange about this transaction as the fraudster could answer any security questions that we normally use with purchases made this way.
To cut a long story short, the true owner of the card, who's an apparently intelligent guy running a good business, had received an unsolicited phone call from the fraudster promising some kind of benefit on his mobile phone for a few quid to be purchased on the card.
So the card owner promptly gave all his relevant card and contact details to someone he didn't know!
Some people just ask for it.
Old 01 December 2008, 08:11 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Like I say, I doubt anyone could be more careful than me when it somes to these kind of these. Not even my girlfriend knows my password or my PIN number.