Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

medical records

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2008, 10:07 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default medical records

If a 3rd party wants access to your medical records for say a medical assessment for work, is it possible to ask your GP to withhold certain things??

For example ( and it is just an example!!!!) if a bloke goes abroad say to Thailand and comes back with a 'problem', he goes to see his GP and it is noted on his records where he has been, and what is wrong... it is probably not something you would wish the world or your employers to necessarily know about..

so could you ask your GP to withhold certain information if you didnt want it known???

Thanks in advance!
Old 28 November 2008, 10:19 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I know that if you give a police statement you have to consent to your medical records to be given but ONLY with reference to a specific issue.
If its for a work medical then whomever has access to your records will be bound by the same rules and regulations as a doctor.
Even if someone has read them for a work purpose they cant tell or question you about how you caught, for example the clap in Thailand.

If the record they need access to is for previous back problems etc then they will only gain access to records related to that.

I dont know to much about it but I hope this little knowledge will help you.
Old 28 November 2008, 10:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be given an option to see the report before hand when you sign a consent form. Reports try to be focussed on the problem at hand, so info about STDs is often excluded. Remind the GP surgery that you want to see the report and then you can check it is to your satisfaction.
Old 28 November 2008, 10:55 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

lol the 'thai problem' was just an example.. def. no std's here thank you..i'm good girl!!!!

thank you for your answers though