Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody do the long term car hire thing?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2008, 01:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody do the long term car hire thing?

I cant remember what its called, but i believe schemes are available, so that you basically rent your new car for say 3 years, then have the option of giving it back and getting a new one, or buying it outright?

i don't owe anything on my ancient classic, which is good, because its worth **** all

but when i start to sit down and add up what its cost me over the past 6 years, including 2 engine rebuilds, parts, road tax etc etc, i am beguining to think it is all a waste of time?

i hate selling cars with a passion, i just cant be arsed with the hassle of selling one, the idea of simply handing one back and getting a new one appeals quite a bit if all maintenance costs are covered as well (tyres/servicing/etc etc)

any thoughts?
Old 24 November 2008, 01:51 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Car Leasing – Contract Hire – Unbeatable Van & Car Leasing Deals

Its the way forward as far as I am concerned. There are loads more out there, google vehicle leasing, it'll bring up what you need.
Old 24 November 2008, 05:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I contract lease my van, You sign an agreement for the amount of time you want to keep it then you just hand it back whne its over, but I have heard there can be penalties for excessive wear or exceeding a specific milage, also if you pass a speed camera van and are unsure if you were at the right speed they have six months to get you

Any garage should be able to do contract lease?? I leased mine from Reg Vardy. If I decide to buy my van back at the end of the term it works out about £500 dearer than If I had bought the thing which I think I can live with

Last edited by stevebt; 24 November 2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 24 November 2008, 05:40 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm considering this. Cracking deals on Civic Type Rs that are tempting me. Less than £250 per month over 2 years.

You're basically just paying for the depreciation, plus a bit of profit to the leasing company.
Old 24 November 2008, 05:49 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Car Leasing – Contract Hire – Unbeatable Van & Car Leasing Deals

Its the way forward as far as I am concerned. There are loads more out there, google vehicle leasing, it'll bring up what you need.
I like the look of that, New Scirocco for £290 a month...... I pay close to that on my car loan, when the loan period is over I might own my scoob but it wont be worth anything.
Old 24 November 2008, 06:27 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Your other option after leasing is a PCP deal.

Its a finance deal that allows you to do the following at the end:

1) Buy the car for a set figure - this figure is set at the start.
2) Hand it back with no charges (assuming conditions such as wear and tear are met.)
3) Swap it for another car and start again.

This way also gives you an option, where at the 50% mark (money re-paid from the total borrowed not time) you can hand the car back as number 2.

This can give you quite a bit of flexability and we have just taken this very option, we have handed our BMW back early to allow us to get something a bit more interesting.
Old 24 November 2008, 07:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
I cant remember what its called, but i believe schemes are available, so that you basically rent your new car for say 3 years, then have the option of giving it back and getting a new one, or buying it outright?

i don't owe anything on my ancient classic, which is good, because its worth **** all

but when i start to sit down and add up what its cost me over the past 6 years, including 2 engine rebuilds, parts, road tax etc etc, i am beguining to think it is all a waste of time?

i hate selling cars with a passion, i just cant be arsed with the hassle of selling one, the idea of simply handing one back and getting a new one appeals quite a bit if all maintenance costs are covered as well (tyres/servicing/etc etc)

any thoughts?
Its tax efficient.