Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going rates for painter and decorator ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2008, 10:07 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Going rates for painter and decorator ?

Hi all

anyone know what is a resonable going rate for a painter and decorater these days ????????

I have a very good mate who is opne who charges me mates rates but need to bill a plumber for a re paint due to a leak - what hourly rates hsould we charge him ???????

Plumber charges me £25 p / h - thinking of charging him £18.75 p/ h to repoiant the damaged area -

Is that fair ?????

Cheers
Old 21 November 2008, 10:11 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Can't spell - its Friday !!
Old 21 November 2008, 10:15 AM
eureka
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyRB5PRO
Hi all

anyone know what is a resonable going rate for a painter and decorater these days ????????

I have a very good mate who is opne who charges me mates rates but need to bill a plumber for a re paint due to a leak - what hourly rates hsould we charge him ???????

Plumber charges me £25 p / h - thinking of charging him £18.75 p/ h to repoiant the damaged area -

Is that fair ?????

Cheers
will be pushed to find an hourly rate mate you are looking at half or full day
being any longer than half a day would be paid at a day rate of somewhere between 150/200 per day
Old 21 November 2008, 10:40 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

edited the title for you
Old 21 November 2008, 10:45 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

My brother is a painter and decorator. He (when he has work!) charges around £125 a day.
Old 21 November 2008, 10:53 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Bloke that did my house recently was only on £8 PH.

Obviously he was working for a company so they were creaming the rest off.
Old 21 November 2008, 12:40 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eureka
will be pushed to find an hourly rate mate you are looking at half or full day
being any longer than half a day would be paid at a day rate of somewhere between 150/200 per day
If people are regularly (stupidly) forking out £200 per day for decorators, I am quitting my job and re-training. Assuming 48 working weeks per year, thats £48k per annum.

I dont care that they have vans to run, it cant be more than £5k for that.

Trending Topics

Old 21 November 2008, 01:26 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
If people are regularly (stupidly) forking out £200 per day for decorators, I am quitting my job and re-training. Assuming 48 working weeks per year, thats £48k per annum.

I dont care that they have vans to run, it cant be more than £5k for that.
Painters and decorators are on around £15-17k PAYE.

The day rates being sprouted here are for those in self employment, so you may only get 1 or 2 jobs a week.

Its doubtful he would be booked in every day @ £200 for 48wks.

I have a friend who is a painter and decorator and he painted a couple of rooms for me for a few beers.

He usually charges £10 an hour though for homer typed jobs.
Old 21 November 2008, 01:49 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Got a mate who charges £60 per day - cant argue with that! It is for Johnny cash though!
Old 21 November 2008, 03:38 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

£30/hour plus any materiels, other trades must be more carefull after decoration is complete,
Old 21 November 2008, 03:46 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Oh and BTW i`m on quite a bit more than 17k a year our apprentices are also on more than 15k a year.
Old 21 November 2008, 06:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by All Torque
£30/hour plus any materiels, other trades must be more carefull after decoration is complete,

you will be lucky to get many jobs charging that per hour? The buildings are in that bad a state all the people who aren't doing much work are virtually working for nothing now to get work!! Now is the right time to get all that work done to your home at a cut price
Old 21 November 2008, 07:54 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

In your dreams! And any trades after that means site management is ****!
Old 21 November 2008, 07:58 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Oh and BTW i`m on quite a bit more than 17k a year our apprentices are also on more than 15k a year.
I think you may be exaggerating or blatantly lying or perhaps living in Central London.

I know many apprentice painter and decorators and they are on £80-120 in their first year, around £150 in 2nd year and going upto around £250 in their 3rd year.

You would have to be complete bonkers to pay an apprentice £15k+

Aberdeen so 1 of the highest paid areas of the UK, pay their painters and decorators (Council) between £15-£20k.

It is a low paid job as it is an unskilled job.

You are having a laugh with £30ph+ materials and having more of a laugh to state apprentices are on salaries higher than £15k.

Show me a job advert with a URL link stating what you have said please

Last edited by Mitchy260; 21 November 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:00 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Painters and decorators are on around £15-17k PAYE.
One up from brush hand maybe, but not if you're time served and fully qualified.

I don't mean NVQ level 1 either.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:04 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
One up from brush hand maybe, but not if you're time served and fully qualified.

I don't mean NVQ level 1 either.
If they work for themselves perhaps, but if they work for the council or in the general building trade, not a chance.

My brother is a time served bricklayer working for 1 of the biggest companies in Scotland and only earns around £20k, not a hope in hell painters are on more than this unless self employed and charging day rates.

Dead at the moment so i suspect a lot of them will be fighting for business.

Last edited by Mitchy260; 21 November 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:04 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

I think you may be exaggerating or blatantly lying or perhaps living in Central London.

I know many apprentice painter and decorators and they are on £80-120 in their first year, around £150 in 2nd year and going upto around £250 in their 3rd year.

You would have to be complete bonkers to pay an apprentice £15k+

Aberdeen so 1 of the highest paid areas of the UK, pay their painters and decorators (Council) between £15-£20k.

You are having a laugh with £30ph+ materials and having more of a laugh to state apprentices are on salaries higher than £15k.

Show me a job advert with a URL link stating what you have said please

I take great offence at the above comment.
tell me my five years at college were a waste of time!
Old 21 November 2008, 08:09 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Apologies salsa-king, no offence intended.

Im just stating my opinion of what i would state is a low skilled job. I can paint and decorate to a very high standard and never studied painting and decorating for 5yrs. I suspect 99.9% of the people on this forum can decorate to a fairly high standard.

But im sure there is a lot more to it than putting up paper and putting a brush into a pot of paint.

No offence intended to any P+D on here.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a plasterer for a big hosuing firm and I have seem painters work magic with houses that look appaling. Only recently someone asked me for a price to replaster her whole house as they were un happy with the quality of work!! I told them to pay for a good painter as it would work out cheaper and with less mess and be just as good
Old 21 November 2008, 08:13 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

If they work for themselves perhaps, but if they work for the council or in the general building trade, not a chance.

My brother is a time served bricklayer working for 1 of the biggest companies in Scotland and only earns around £20k, not a hope in hell painters are on more than this unless self employed and charging day rates.

Dead at the moment so i suspect a lot of them will be fighting for business.
Thats the joke, tell someone you work for the council as a painter... thats all it is, a painter, no brain needed to paint railings lol.

We had lads coming through college on block release from the council/david wilson/wimpy/Johns painting contractors etc
Standard of work was basic, but they only got a minimum wage, as they only did basic City&Guilds (didn't do Advance Craft) then it went to NVQ nd they didn't pass higher than level 2.
But for the type of work they did on building sites etc they only needed basic knowlege, also there was a big turnover of staff.

but I'm not self employed, PAYE paid every week.
I earn more than £17k a year. Our foreman has been with us for 42 years this years always been in full time work with us.
How many can say they still work for the same firm they started with at the age of fifteen??
Old 21 November 2008, 08:13 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

When I left school (27 years ago) I went into painting and decorating, as my father did it for a living. He still does it now in Ireland (or he would like to, as he can't get any work).

At 17 I was earning £27 per day. Quickly rose to £30 a day.

How the hell are painters earning less than that 26 years later?

It is a hard grafting job. I did it for 9 years and then got out. Too much like hard collar for me. There are eaiser ways of earning a crust.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:18 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Thats the joke, tell someone you work for the council as a painter... thats all it is, a painter, no brain needed to paint railings lol.

We had lads coming through college on block release from the council/david wilson/wimpy/Johns painting contractors etc
Standard of work was basic, but they only got a minimum wage, as they only did basic City&Guilds (didn't do Advance Craft) then it went to NVQ nd they didn't pass higher than level 2.
But for the type of work they did on building sites etc they only needed basic knowlege, also there was a big turnover of staff.
??
Got you, yes thats all he says he does, prepare and paint old railings
Old 21 November 2008, 08:19 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip929
When I left school (27 years ago) I went into painting and decorating, as my father did it for a living. He still does it now in Ireland (or he would like to, as he can't get any work).

At 17 I was earning £27 per day. Quickly rose to £30 a day.

How the hell are painters earning less than that 26 years later?

It is a hard grafting job. I did it for 9 years and then got out. Too much like hard collar for me. There are eaiser ways of earning a crust.
You were earning £150pw as an apprentice 27yrs ago

Really?

Im not being funny but 1st year apprentices up here are generally paid in the region of £100pw.

£150pw 27yrs ago would have been a hell of a lot of money, especially when you were able to buy houses back then for £5k

Last edited by Mitchy260; 21 November 2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:20 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Apologies salsa-king, no offence intended.

Im just stating my opinion of what i would state is a low skilled job. I can paint and decorate to a very high standard and never studied painting and decorating for 5yrs. I suspect 99.9% of the people on this forum can decorate to a fairly high standard.

But im sure there is a lot more to it than putting up paper and putting a brush into a pot of paint.

No offence intended to any P+D on here.

still very offended.

Ppl say they can paint and decorate, but we go in houses where they've done there own work... and to us.. it shows.
Every where i go, in houses or hotel or shops etc etc i always look at the quality and finish of the work. You get what you pay for.

Talking to another decorator in our local trade suppliers, he said there's a gang of 6 Polish 'painters' going around Nottm at the momment.. charging £80 a day. (I think thats for all 6 of them too).
anyone daft enough to have them in deserves to waste £80 a day, when you see the standard of the work they do.
But there again anyone who accepts that type of work for £80 a day would appreciate a proper job.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Really?

Im not being funny but 1st year apprentices up here are generally paid in the region of £100pw.

£150pw 27yrs ago would have been a hell of a lot of money, especially when you were able to buy houses for £3-4k

My take-home pay packed back in 1990 when I first started was about £68-70 pw.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:28 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
I'm a plasterer for a big hosuing firm and I have seem painters work magic with houses that look appaling. Only recently someone asked me for a price to replaster her whole house as they were un happy with the quality of work!! I told them to pay for a good painter as it would work out cheaper and with less mess and be just as good

yep, we make every other trades job look fantasic

newly plastered walls look sh:t once painted if the correct preps not been done, the amount of times ppl say its newly plastered out and the platerer was dead good. ok, we'll see how good it looks when we get some paint on there!! thats when the bad platering gets shown up.

back to your comment above, thing is someone will pay to have a house re plastered and think nothing of it, but to pay someone to paint the house, they think its a waste of money as they can do it themselves.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:38 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

still very offended.

Ppl say they can paint and decorate, but we go in houses where they've done there own work... and to us.. it shows.
Every where i go, in houses or hotel or shops etc etc i always look at the quality and finish of the work. You get what you pay for.

Talking to another decorator in our local trade suppliers, he said there's a gang of 6 Polish 'painters' going around Nottm at the momment.. charging £80 a day. (I think thats for all 6 of them too).
anyone daft enough to have them in deserves to waste £80 a day, when you see the standard of the work they do.
But there again anyone who accepts that type of work for £80 a day would appreciate a proper job.
I had a crack at doing my last house and it was much harder than I thought.

Got my mate down to do it in the end. He did a great job, and the week it took him would have taken me about 6!
Old 21 November 2008, 08:43 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

I was working as a full painter at 17, albeit not a very good one!
A mate got me a job for a subby on a Laing site he was working on.

I then went to another contractor in London, called Brian Whitty. Did hotels in London etc.
Eventually went back to working for my father as a foreman.

When people say that it is unskilled, Yes, anyone can push a bit of paint about, but doing it properly is a whole different ball game.
I was not unskilled. By the end of my 9 years, I had earned a reputation as a quality decorator. Skills I still have now, but prefer not to use.

When i was a foreman I could spot an amateur within 2 minutes. Just ask them to get a kit out, say there is all the paint, just sort yourself out. A painter immeduately knows what to do, an amateur just grabs a tin and a brush (no kettle etc) . I could pull an amateurs work to pieces in minutes.

Knew a guy years ago and he was on a job in Brixton.
Told me that the foreman asked a guy to go and paint the toilet. 10 minutes later the foreman walked in and the guy had actually painted the f***in toilet!!!
Old 21 November 2008, 08:45 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

Really?

£150pw 27yrs ago would have been a hell of a lot of money, especially when you were able to buy houses back then for £5k
Wish i had of bought property.
I was more into gambling, drink and women, not necessarily in that order.
At least I did not waste my money

Oh and I also had a brand new Golf GTI 1.8 MK1 in 1983 when I was 18. Nearly killed myself in it but forunately the seat belt laws had come into place which saved my bacon. Thank you Maggie Thatcher for that law.

Last edited by zip929; 21 November 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 21 November 2008, 08:48 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

and this is what I did Wednesday afternoon and finished off yesterday...

https://www.scoobynet.com/diy-39/726...-finished.html

as I say.. there's painters and there's decorators.

Quick Reply: Going rates for painter and decorator ?