Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Audio Interface

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2008, 09:10 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Interface

Right, for the gadget/electronics buffs, get yer teeth into this.

Previously on here I've discussed about wanting to get my DJ mixes onto CD. Have basically 2 options for this...

1) To record via a CD recorder (expensive)
2) To record via software program such as Sound Forge 8.0

Now the above are either expensive (option 1) or a pain to get sound levels right while recording (option 2).

Here is option 3... Audio_Interface

Now this seems like a brilliant little gadget, where you plug one end into the record/booth output on your mixer (currently a Behringer DJX 700), and t'other end plugs in via USB. Simple. Then you use the CD software to record the sound, and assume the mixer itself (DJX 700) for the sound gains.

Can anyone offer any advice or shed any more light on this? Option 1 was my previous bet, but it was a case of understanding the program (Sound Forge) with no manual or instructions, and then also controlling a very sensitive sound level, using a combination of channel gains on the mixer and the faffy 'audio properties' on my PC.

If I could maybe nab one of these as a christmas present from a relative, it would make lumbering my desktop PC upstairs and connecting it all up so much easier. This is whats currently preventing me from making up demo CD's to send to local Bars etc., for DJ work.

Thoughts and advice appreciated as always.
Old 21 November 2008, 09:56 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Option 2. All it needs is for you to turn down the output of your dj mixer.... record it slightly "too quiet"

In Sound Forge you can always turn the level up afterwards.

IMHO, why spend money when you don't have to? Just invest some time in learning the package!!!! (pm if you need help )

Dan

edited to add - nothing wrong with buying an audio interface, but it is kinda OTT for what you want to do to start off with (IMHO)
Old 21 November 2008, 09:58 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Or you could use Audacity - this package is totally idiot proof (so probably even you could use it )

Dan
Old 21 November 2008, 12:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Or you could use Audacity - this package is totally idiot proof (so probably even you could use it )

Dan
Did I 'buy' that Sound Forge CD of your good self. Know it was a Scoobynetter.
Old 21 November 2008, 04:06 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Option 2. All it needs is for you to turn down the output of your dj mixer.... record it slightly "too quiet"

In Sound Forge you can always turn the level up afterwards.

IMHO, why spend money when you don't have to? Just invest some time in learning the package!!!! (pm if you need help )

Dan

edited to add - nothing wrong with buying an audio interface, but it is kinda OTT for what you want to do to start off with (IMHO)

I record my mixes directly to my PC, then "Master" the mix afterwards eliminating any annoying sounds
Old 21 November 2008, 05:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RMA26

I record my mixes directly to my PC, then "Master" the mix afterwards eliminating any annoying sounds
Er, I know. I wanna do this but I'm a thick c*nt and can't get the sound levels right. My PC isn't in the same room so I have to move it about. I need someone with an ounce of knoweldge to show me what I'm doing wrong them I'll remember in future

This is why I thought about the interface as it cut's out finding the correct place to insert wires into my PC and the software would sort out sound issues. I'm a retard with stuff like this, a spaccer, spethial person etc. Window licker if you were

Can you tell I've just had 'Mr 105 year old man in Rover 25' cut me up doing 23mph in a 40mph