Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

redundancies

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2008, 09:14 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redundancies

following on from what gene hunt said, its just been announced that 10,000 jobs are to go at BT, now all the experts are saying things are bad but are they really? (other than the house market crashing)

are companys using the current climate as an excuse to get rid of staff that they didnt need anyways ?

also jobless figures are up 140,000 this month, is this just the goverment putting people into the system that have been passed around it previously to keep figures low? i mean its easier to hide it in the "credit crunch" ?

what you guys reckon
Old 13 November 2008, 09:21 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Due to the current economic climate thousands are left unemployed.

All I'm saying is that this wouldn't of happened during the old slave trade days.

Old 13 November 2008, 09:27 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

I'm facing redundancy - smack bang before Xmas GREAT!!!
Old 13 November 2008, 09:29 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

ouch sorry to hear that, what industry u in? and for what its worth i was made redundant 10 years ago the week before xmas and its the best thing that ever happened to me.
Old 13 November 2008, 09:36 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
ouch sorry to hear that, what industry u in? and for what its worth i was made redundant 10 years ago the week before xmas and its the best thing that ever happened to me.
I've developed myself as an Analyst over the last 10 years, so i'm easily adaptable to almost anything thankfully

I've had an interview for something else this week which went well, second interview this aft, not so good when i feel like crap (cold etc)
Old 13 November 2008, 09:37 AM
c-o-l-e
Scooby Regular

This country is going down the pan, we don't even actually produce anything for export anymore.
I think it's starting to get very hard for the government to hide the unemployment figures.
I wonder what it would be if you counted all of the people who are not classed as job seekers.
Old 13 November 2008, 09:38 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

im going in jan as well
I have an interview tomorrow though

Although they say unemployment is up etc, there seems to be loads of jobs around but that could just be down to location I suppose.

Cant understand BT though, I thought they would maybe need more staff with the IC21QN or whatever it is they are rolling out within the next few years

Trending Topics

Old 13 November 2008, 09:39 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

ive just been in a quick meeting at work now, there is another uk manufacturing plant closing, timescale is 10 months. Goods are going to be made in france
Old 13 November 2008, 09:40 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

30% of our workforce has gone since summer with another 99 going next week but luckily im safe .
around here alot of companies are really struggling and going under
Old 13 November 2008, 09:51 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Think the jobs are there, if you have the skills
Old 13 November 2008, 09:51 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

I'm sitting through the ar$e end of a 3 month review being made of all departments and it would appear they've left IT till last - long story short, MOST of the company got taken over in July (2 other sites didn't get bought) and now with the reduced staff, they're cutting left right and centre.

Everyone in IT had to write a Job Description for themselves the other week Turns out not a bad thing because I haven't updated my CV since I started here so I shall use most of that Get paid to update your CV

Still don't know what's going to happen in IT - boss says he "is not expecting there to be a reduction in headcount" but I don't see how there can't be!!!

I guess if they do sh!tcan me then it'll be par for the course with me.... just before Xmas and the wifes about to give birth to our 1st child - extended paternity leave
Old 13 November 2008, 09:57 AM
big daz2
Scooby Senior

I work for a UK manufacturer we produce site dumpers and also Tipping trailers 3 months ago when all this so called credit crunch started i got laid of from the dumpers as the housing market crashed sales dropped although id hit my target, but the same day they laid me off there they rang me up and asked me if i wanted to join our tipping trailer company with a reduced basic so i thought its better to be in a job than not so i started selling tippers and i love it people are still buying Ive sold 30 tippers since July and given quotes out for another 30 although we did scale down production but as you say i think this was just precaution. so the moral of this is theres always options if a boss says to you hes laying you off you could take a reduced salary to keep your job.i really do feel for anyone that has been laid off but its always been said to me that when one door closes another one opens.Good luck to those people looking for work.
Old 13 November 2008, 10:54 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that the 140k headline figure is being masked by the time of year. November & December typically have unemployment down due to temporary seasonal jobs - shop extras, staff to cope with increased post, etc. If the headlines are saying 140k more unemployed, expect the real figure to be a lot higher.

We're just at the front end of the down turn, as Merv said yesterday we can expect this to last a year. If this happens then it's going to get a lot worse before it starts to get better. Whilst I have no respect whatsoever for Brown, I hope for all our sakes he doesn't break Maggie's record of more than 3m unemployed.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:01 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I'm going in dec too!! Got told monday after eight years in a "safe" section of a dodgy industry.

Didn't think it would come but hey-ho, shoot happens.
You have to deal with it and move on or you'd be living in a rubber room.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have to allow for the fact that they are telling us as little as possible about the real extent of the coming recession which they have exacerbated over the last eleven years with their ridiculous policies, in the forlorn hope that it might get better.

We will see much worse in the future as it begins to bite and the debt they have landed the country in will take years into the future to recover from. I am very sorry for those who are losing their jobs.

Les
Old 13 November 2008, 11:12 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Is there anyone on here who is having to make people redundent rather than being made redundent?

I work for a small IFA practice and although we are busy with exisiting clients we have very little new money coming in from our IFAs. We only have a small staff team and we are friends too. Theres not enough work for the staff to do so we are having to go down the "LIFO" route.

Saves us some money and will increase my work load considerably but theres no increase in my wages
Old 13 November 2008, 11:18 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Saves us some money and will increase my work load considerably but theres no increase in my wages
I think that is ultimately what it will boil down to - for anyone lucky enough to keep their jobs, others will go, workloads will increase for those who stay but no extra wages to counter the increase in workload.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:22 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

To all of you facing the chop, best of luck guys - I hope you get yourselves sorted out.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:22 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Cable group Virgin Media became the latest U.K. media company to cut back on staff, announcing it will cull 2,200 British jobs -- about 15% of its work force -- by the end of 2010. Chief executive Neil Berkett said Tuesday that the job losses, which are expected in the fourth quarter of 2009 and throughout 2010, are part of a restructuring program aimed at cutting costs"

great
Old 13 November 2008, 11:26 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Pimmo - given the timescale I'd guess at some of that being through natural wastage? ie they don't replace people who leave.... just a thought
Old 13 November 2008, 11:29 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
following on from what gene hunt said, its just been announced that 10,000 jobs are to go at BT, now all the experts are saying things are bad but are they really? (other than the house market crashing)

are companys using the current climate as an excuse to get rid of staff that they didnt need anyways ?

also jobless figures are up 140,000 this month, is this just the goverment putting people into the system that have been passed around it previously to keep figures low? i mean its easier to hide it in the "credit crunch" ?

what you guys reckon
I recon the real extent of the current econimic downturn will be somewhere between the government claims and the media sensationalism.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:31 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Pimmo, attrition for a company of about 15k is certainly going to be between 10% and 20%. As T4molie says, they will just freeze recruitment for a while.
Old 13 November 2008, 11:43 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
I think that is ultimately what it will boil down to - for anyone lucky enough to keep their jobs, others will go, workloads will increase for those who stay but no extra wages to counter the increase in workload.
this is also happening where i am at my workload has increased a good 50% and we have around about the same time to complete each job but money has gone down as my hours have been cut from 39 to 24 hours
Old 13 November 2008, 11:44 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Castrol UK have just announced closure of their last manufacturing plant in the UK. Planned closure is in 10 months time
Old 13 November 2008, 12:05 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
30% of our workforce has gone since summer with another 99 going next week but luckily im safe .
around here alot of companies are really struggling and going under

what company is that?
Old 13 November 2008, 12:19 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

this is also happening where i am at my workload has increased a good 50% and we have around about the same time to complete each job but money has gone down as my hours have been cut from 39 to 24 hours

Not quite sure how an employer can up workoad by %50, cut working hours from 39 to 24 (which is a massive cut IMO) and then still expect more output at the same quality / level????? Madness!!
Old 13 November 2008, 12:54 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Not quite sure how an employer can up workoad by %50, cut working hours from 39 to 24 (which is a massive cut IMO) and then still expect more output at the same quality / level????? Madness!!
I thought that, more work in the same allocated time per job with less hours doesnt quite add up unless your were a lazy ****** to start with
Old 13 November 2008, 03:52 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Redundancies here to and it seems like design may take the hit due to our salaries.
Old 13 November 2008, 04:12 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

there used to be six of us in our area now there are two me and another we used to build 11 units a day over 5 days(joinery) now we build 14 a day over 3 days. we get an additional man if needed which we have been so there is 3 of us doing more work over less days and 50% of the workforce as there was before if that makes sense .

when work picks back up makes me wonder if they will go back on full time as we do more now than before costing them alot less money
Old 13 November 2008, 04:34 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

there used to be six of us in our area now there are two me and another we used to build 11 units a day over 5 days(joinery) now we build 14 a day over 3 days. we get an additional man if needed which we have been so there is 3 of us doing more work over less days and 50% of the workforce as there was before if that makes sense .

when work picks back up makes me wonder if they will go back on full time as we do more now than before costing them alot less money
I reckon you're getting screwed

55 units with 234 man hours
to
42 units with 72 man hours

Or has been said, you were slacking when there were 6 of you

Quick Reply: redundancies