Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Taiwan?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2008, 02:07 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Taiwan?

Just wanting a bit of advice. I'll be spending a day in Taipei and have the option of five hours at Taipei 101 or a guided tour of museums etc with just a photo opp. of the tower. Is there much to do at the tower/ within walking distance or would a guided tour be better?
Any help appreciated
Old 01 November 2008, 02:09 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

My mate lives in Taipei i will e-mail him and let you know whats what
Old 03 November 2008, 09:56 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Yep, many years ago on a business trip. We finished what we had to do a day early so one of the blokes from the place we were working with spent the day showing us around. I'd love to tell you exactly where we went but I'm buggered if I can remember the names of anything. Went to a place in Taipei with some fancy Chinese buildings and gardens. Also went to this museum which was inside a hollowed out mountain, contained loads of priceless Ming Dynasty stuff and some incredible carvings that our guide said would have been completed over several generations Weren't allowed any photos in there

Anyway pretty cool place to visit and I would say the guided tour would be your best bet. The local knowledge will be useful.
Old 03 November 2008, 11:37 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

I spent a day in Taipei on the way to Tainan. The 101 is pretty breathtaking but the view is often spoiled by smog. There's some interesting stuff at the top about its construction and you can see the enormous damped counterweight for dealing with earthquakes! There's a department store at the bottom but it's nothing special.

That's all I got to see in Taipei as we had to catch the train. I spent a lot of time in Tainan and made a trip over to Kenting and Taroko which was very enjoyable.