Anyone been. Canada,Montreal,Quebec,Mont Tremblant area

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2008, 02:06 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been. Canada,Montreal,Quebec,Mont Tremblant area

Hi there,

Looking at a second home in Canada just now.
We like the area to the west of Montreal, near Mont Tremblant.
Big for outdoor life and sports etc.
Houses are cheap and the cost of living in general is very good.

Has anyone been to this area, have friends there, or have any more information/opinions that they would like to share?

I will be paying the area a visit on the way home from a job in the the Gulf of Mexico in December, so I will get a good idea of what the region in like myself.

We know that the weather is extreme. Hot in the summer and very cold in the winter, so thats not an issue.

I am just looking to see if anyone has a view on the way of life over there.

I would move over in an instant, however, my wife is not so sure yet.
We have an 18 month old daughter and I am keen to give her a good standard of life and a good education.

I have found that this area, Quebec, is the Provence with best quality of living and education in Canada.

We could be mortgage free in less than ten years and have more money saved than if we stay here in the UK.

Our living costs are through the roof, as we all know, and it feels like the weather is getting worse by the year too!!!

Right now moving over seems like a great idea, even if it is just as a second home for the next few years before we decide to emigrate.

I work in offshore construction, so there is no need to live in any particular country, however, the closer to the Gulf of Mexico/Brazil the better it would be. Canada fitting the bill very well.

Please share your views with me

Regards

Jamie
Old 30 October 2008, 06:17 AM
L9WUL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I visited Canada for the 2nd time early this year to do some skiing and then a little sight seeing.

Breifly we flew to Montreal and then drove the 1.5 hours or so to Mont Tremblant for a weeks skiing. We stayed in the ski resort at the base as you'll probably be aware there is a Tremblant village which I would imagine is where the majority of the locals live. We didn't venture into the main, larger village much but from what we saw it looked very nice and had pretty much everything you'd require.

As for our stay in the base resort - it truly was the best all round ski resort I have ever been, it's been purposely bought, designed, rebuilt etc by a major US company so everything and everyone is catered for. Every type of shop, restuarant and amenity seems to be there if only on a small intimate scale. We loved every minute, its a pedestrian only resort so you can be rest assured that kids etc are safe, most that we saw were playing in the central ice park (slides etc), it must be a joy to be there and a kid!!!

Food, beer etc is on tap and we honestly didn't have a bad meal. Everywhere was clean (obviously when everything is covered in snow then it is difficult to gauge this properly but it seemed good to us).

As for permanent accomodation, we seriuosly looked at getting a 2nd place out there - property was good value and there seemed to be hell of a return if you were to holiday let - I'm led to believe that the summer in the area is based around gold and hiking/mountain biking so it really is a year round resort - like you say already though - you'll have to be prepared for extremes in weather, we only experienced the winter obviously but at times it certainly was bad, albeit, other times were truly excellent.

All in all, everyone in the group thought it was great - we sort of compared it to a low key, subtle disney type of resort in the fact that everything, and I mean everything has been thought of, its not too lively, but there are lively places, the apres ski in the bars between maybe 4 and 8 was ace, bands etc etc.

I apologise for running round the houses as it were in my description but it really was great and i'm finding it hard to try to capture what it was like, and obviuosly we only really saw the place from a holiday point of view but I have travelled a bit and seen a fair few places and this is right up there, I would suggest going for a visit, you may well fall for it as we did.

We also visited Toronto and the surrounding areas while there, this was a good 7 hr drive from Tremblant but again, its a great city, quite relaxed, clean etc. We just felt that if we were to get a place there then tremblant had the lot, and I reckon on a good run its only an hour from Montreal so if you did need a city/airport, then you're not far atall.

Any more questions or help then let me know and i'll try my best.