Default Iceland fight back

Icelanders are NOT terrorists

Shame on Broon and Dahling!

mb
Old 24 October 2008, 10:35 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

surprised there has not been more outrage about this - next time some new terror law is passed saying it is to protect you, and wont be used for anything else (think old man shouting "rubbish" .... )
Old 24 October 2008, 10:51 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

This page shows how disgusting (and embarrassing for us Brits) Flash and his painted eye-browed stooge are (two-faced back-tracking cowards)!!!!

FFS, i reckon that the Iceland petition has a higher percentage of the population supporting them than NuLab achieved to get into power the last time around.

mb
Old 25 October 2008, 09:47 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

My my, some people have short memories!

Cod Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No sympathy for the greedy *******. They have got their fingers severely burnt this time and I hope their economy collapses. If they weren't so greedy they wouldn't be in this mess. The UK gov't have every right to protect their money, after all it is our money. What would you rather happen, them Icelandics sticking 2 fingers up at you will billions of YOUR money?

Something positive that Brown has done. You have to play hardball when it comes to these matters or you'll be walked all over. Don't let a few PR T-shirts fool you.

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 25 October 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 25 October 2008, 12:35 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Icelandic Banks have taken Icelandic and foreign deposits. If you live in Iceland somewhat conveniently you can still access your money. If you are a foreigner you can't. In short they are stealing money from British citizens to give to their own

If you support this state of affairs, then go ahead and sign the pathetic petition, traitor.

The Government invoked a convenient law to represent BRITISH interests because the Icelandic Government wasn't going to do so by themselves. Otherwise they couldn't seize Icelandic property here. Good move as far as I am concerned.
Old 25 October 2008, 12:37 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Icelandic Banks have taken Icelandic and foreign deposits. If you live in Iceland somewhat conveniently you can still access your money. If you are a foreigner you can't. In short they are stealing money from British citizens to give to their own

If you support this state of affairs, then go ahead and sign the pathetic petition, traitor.

The Government invoked a convenient law to represent BRITISH interests because the Icelandic Government wasn't going to do so by themselves. Otherwise they couldn't seize Icelandic property here. Good move as far as I am concerned.
^^^^^^^^

What he said

Old 26 October 2008, 02:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is an indication how these laws might be used for the authorities' convenience in the future.

I still have not forgotten that 80 year old being arrested under those laws at the Labour conference when he mentioned that Straw was speaking rubbish!

Les

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2008, 02:13 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is an indication how these laws might be used for the authorities' convenience in the future.

I still have not forgotten that 80 year old being arrested under those laws at the Labour conference when he mentioned that Straw was speaking rubbish!

Les
Neither me Les.
However; in this case the law was used to protect 'British interests' so I don't give a ****.
When it's used against us I'll shout loud and long.
Old 26 October 2008, 03:24 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Neither me Les.
However; in this case the law was used to protect 'British interests' so I don't give a ****.
When it's used against us I'll shout loud and long.
There is a big problem with that approach. In the the authorities will always have a bigger stick to hand in an immediate or crisis situation, than the electorate (poor sods on the receiving end).

J.
Old 26 October 2008, 03:43 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

So, just out of interest, does the British protection of depositors regulations cover money belonging to foreign nationals living abroad, who have money in British banks?????? If so, then, fair enough, but if not, than why should you expect other nations to protect foreign investors. If you are going to put money you can't afford to lose into a foreign bank, governed by another nations laws, should you not check what would happen if it all goes pear shaped?

Last edited by Removed.; 26 October 2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 26 October 2008, 08:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
My my, some people have short memories!

Cod Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No sympathy for the greedy *******...
...but this isn't about fish, although if we as a country had the same ***** to enforce a 200 nautical mile fishing zone as they tried, maybe the EU wouldn't be screwing us so much (and the Spanish stealing as many baby fish!).

Er, the government invoked an inappropriate law, in what is probably an illegal way, to freeze the assets of innocent people! What next, will they create a statutory instrument to allow them to nuke any country that it has a minor tiff with (so long as it can't fight back)??

How would you feel if Russia declared that the UK invasion of Iraq (or Afghanistan) was illegal and decided to nuke us out of existence??

The website at the top consists of innocent citizens like you and me (not bankers or politicians) who are rather upset by the disgusting behavior or Broon and Dahling. Iceland seems like quite an open and friendly country, unlike our evolving police state!!

mb
Old 26 October 2008, 08:51 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
...but this isn't about fish, although if we as a country had the same ***** to enforce a 200 nautical mile fishing zone as they tried, maybe the EU wouldn't be screwing us so much (and the Spanish stealing as many baby fish!).
mb
Exactly, no cod left in the North Sea, guess where there is now. Extract from the Wiki entry posted previously.

In 1972, Iceland unilaterally declared an Exclusive Economic Zone extending beyond its territorial waters, before announcing plans to reduce overfishing.

But back on topic, this has nothing to do with fish.
Old 26 October 2008, 10:07 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky
So, just out of interest, does the British protection of depositors regulations cover money belonging to foreign nationals living abroad, who have money in British banks?????? If so, then, fair enough, but if not, than why should you expect other nations to protect foreign investors. If you are going to put money you can't afford to lose into a foreign bank, governed by another nations laws, should you not check what would happen if it all goes pear shaped?

Its the former rather than the latter. The Icelandic scheme 'protects' foreign depositors as well as domestic up to a ceiling figure. This is a standard EU model. Iceland has apparently reneged on their scheme.

The Icelandic scheme is unable to pay back all depositors, despite the central bank recently saying that they could guarantee all deposits* Iceland has reportedly restricted refunds to domestic savers only and thereby have effectively raised two fingers to foreign depositors. Not acceptable in my view - nor in the UK Government's as luck would have it.

* See C4 article from March 2008. Surprisingly relevant!
Channel 4 - News - How safe are your savings?

Er, the government invoked an inappropriate law, in what is probably an illegal way, to freeze the assets of innocent people! What next, will they create a statutory instrument to allow them to nuke any country that it has a minor tiff with (so long as it can't fight back)??

How would you feel if Russia declared that the UK invasion of Iraq (or Afghanistan) was illegal and decided to nuke us out of existence??

The website at the top consists of innocent citizens like you and me (not bankers or politicians) who are rather upset by the disgusting behavior or Broon and Dahling. Iceland seems like quite an open and friendly country, unlike our evolving police state!!

mb
That is a collection of the most ridiculous arguments I have seen here in a long time. You appear not have the slightest idea what this is about.

The assets of Lansbanki (owner of Icesave) have legally been frozen in an attempt to ensure the UK saver (and taxpayer) doesn't get shafted to the tune of at least GBP 6bn by the failure of Iceland's banks and economy. Unfortunate that anti-terrorist legislation had to be used against the company I admit, but better than letting them get away with it.

If the UK government had refused to pay Russia 6bn it owed, then I would rightly expect Boris to get more than a little bolshie about it.

Really, what is 'open and friendly' about withholding such a large sum of money from its rightful owners?

The situation is unfortunate for the rather delicate people of Iceland, but if they don't want to be offended, then perhaps they should return the money they have stolen? If they can't return the money they owe then they should STFU until they can. Quite simple really.

All IMHO of course.
Old 26 October 2008, 10:41 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Well said! I stand by my original post. Imagine the grief the UK gov't would get if all our money deposited over there vanished. The bleeding hearts on here would be the first ones complaining over the extra taxs we'd have to pay to cover it. About the only thing the Brown and Darling show has done well IMHO.

And the cod war, payback's a bitch aint it!
Old 26 October 2008, 10:56 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I'm not happy with anti-terrorism laws being used. It sets precedent to be used more and more often, eventually being used on us.
Old 27 October 2008, 07:03 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoTTyB
I'm not happy with anti-terrorism laws being used. It sets precedent to be used more and more often, eventually being used on us.
Fine, but what would you have done instead?
Old 27 October 2008, 08:25 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Sat there hand wringing while several billion of your money went up the swanny!
Old 27 October 2008, 11:14 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

That is a collection of the most ridiculous arguments I have seen here in a long time. You appear not have the slightest idea what this is about.
...so do you know definitively what might happen, now that Broon has declared that an entire country is a "terrorist"?

Don't forget that the Ruskies are chatting with Iceland about helping them out financially - with the offer of an airforce base being built on the island. So what if they then decide to impose a 200 mile sea and air exclusion zone, but this time enforced by "Boris". Our warships might not be quite a cocky as they were with the cod-war Icelandic gunships when faced with a slightly more powerful army!

Broon and Dahling have opened up a can of worms here, and it will take years to sort out the political damage that they have caused.

Fine, but what would you have done instead?
It's not my job, but Dahling seems to have failed in his by not taking action several weeks ago when the state of the Icelandic banks was starting to look a bit shaky. But freezing the assets that would help prop up Iceland wasn't the smartest thing to do - he may well have been the cause of the collapse!

mb
Old 27 October 2008, 11:30 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

It's not my job, but Dahling seems to have failed in his by not taking action several weeks ago when the state of the Icelandic banks was starting to look a bit shaky. But freezing the assets that would help prop up Iceland wasn't the smartest thing to do - he may well have been the cause of the collapse!

mb
The Icelandic banks were already looking shaky in March '08 according to the CDS spreads quoted in the C4 article I linked above. Just before Iceland failed, apparently the country spreads were even wider than these levels and the bank spreads were not even quoted anymore. The financial markets had clearly lost all confidence and failure was only a matter of time .

You argue that he should have taken action earlier (which would have caused the banks to prematurely fail) and then criticise him for actually doing so later. I seriously suggest you keep away from financial market threads rather than embarrassing yourself with 'facts' you read in the Mail on Sunday

HTH

P.S. Russia pulled out of any deals to finance Iceland last week and the IMF stepped in to do so instead. Try to keep up!
Old 27 October 2008, 11:35 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

He shoots.....
Old 27 October 2008, 11:36 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

The assets which assets? - in Iceland?, the UK?, worldwide? of Lansbanki (owner of Icesave) have legally or some may say ILLEGALLY been frozen in an attempt to ensure the UK saver (and taxpayer) selfish, UK-centric behavior doesn't get shafted to the tune of at least GBP 6bn source please? by the failure of Iceland's banks and economy but Broom and Dahling keep saying that it is a "global" problem, not just a single country. Unfortunate that ILLEGAL anti-terrorist legislation had to be used illegally against the company I admit, but better than letting them get away with it. whilst Broon pumps TENS OF BILLIONS into schemes designed to get him votes!
mb
Old 27 October 2008, 11:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

HE SCORES !
Old 27 October 2008, 11:50 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

P.S. Russia pulled out of any deals to finance Iceland last week and the IMF stepped in to do so instead. Try to keep up!
From The Beeb BBC NEWS | Business | Iceland set for $2.1bn IMF help

Originally Posted by Not the Mail
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has reached a "tentative" agreement to give aid to Iceland worth about $2.1bn (£1.3bn; 1.58bn euros).
The Fat Lady still has to sing

mb
Old 28 October 2008, 07:47 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
HE SCORES an own goal !
EFA

Old 28 October 2008, 07:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Well: I was referring to you, but he replied within the 30 seconds waiting time between the first and second post...
Old 28 October 2008, 08:14 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we really think that Brown and Darling care a toss about the private UK investors who stand to lose money in all this?

I would suggest that the only reason inapproriate legisltaion was conveniantly applied here is becasue of the tens of millions of £ that UK local authorities had on deposit in icelandic banks.

As for the cod wars, Iceland at least had the ***** to do something our government should have done at the time, and told the rest of Europe to **** off out of "our" territorial waters and catch their fish somewhere else.

Of course the icelanders are going to look after their own peoples interests first. Its exactly what ANY nation would do in the circumstances.

The implications are far reaching - you just can't go siezing assets on a whim (because even after what hapened with BCCI no government passes legislation to ensure that local authorities deposit our money in absolute security).

Caught with their pants down again, and the usual knee jerk reaction.....

They really are the most incompetent bunch of tossers yet....
Old 28 October 2008, 08:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Devildog
Of course the icelanders are going to look after their own peoples interests first. Its exactly what ANY nation would do in the circumstances.
So our gov't aren't allowed to look after our interests first?
Old 28 October 2008, 08:43 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
So our gov't aren't allowed to look after our interests first?
Well they should be, but have pretty much missed the boat all the way along. This is unquestionably an ill founded knee jerk reaction that may ultimately cause us more pain than gain.

Seizing (or more appropriately freezing) assets is one thing. Being able to actually do anything with them is a whole different (legal) ball game. All we have now is a stalemate where no one can use the assets, which may actually worsen the position in Iceland. Which, in turn, may make it even worse for "our" propects of recovering anything.

If nothing else, its certain to harden the Icelander's resolve NOT to look out for the interests of Uk depositors.
Old 28 October 2008, 09:38 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

We'll see when it all comes out in the wash. I think it's a brilliant move.

Quick Reply: Iceland fight back