Heroin Mum and Me.

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2008, 11:45 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heroin Mum and Me.

anyone see it.

seems once your on that stuff theres no turning back.
Old 24 October 2008, 11:54 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Watched and it was pretty sad. Started off with the 'Why doesn't she just get a grip attitude' but as the programme went on thought they did a good job of explaining the problems with the addiction. Loved the girls comments about how if she hadn't smoked cannabis she wouldn't have tried speed then coke then smoking H then injecting.
Thought the mother coped really well but wonder how she is when the camera not about.
Good programme
Old 24 October 2008, 11:56 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Taped it, so will watch sometime this weekend.

TBH I've known pople hooked on this sh*t. It's hard/impossible to get off it unless you want to get off it. A Lass I know was sent away by her family to rehab. They got her clean, and after a few weeks she was allowed home. The first thing she did when she got home, and went out, was to go straight to her dealer. Why? She never wanted to get off it in the first place. So went straight back onto it.

Shame really, she was a very pretty girl.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:04 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Any body on this stuff has only got themselves to blame. As sti says they are on it because they want to be. No other reason.

5t.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It was very difficult to watch. However, I did not agree with the cannabis comments. I have smoked it before and I am not hooked on smack.
Infact, that is the only drug I have ever tried. I had the oppotunity to try pretty much everything going, but didn't want to.

If you have that type of personality, it doesn't matter what you try, it will never be enough.

Mrs and I felt sorry for the mum, although I did feel as if she was making the problem worse. Giving her daughter money for Heroin for **** sake!
Old 24 October 2008, 12:11 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Any body on this stuff has only got themselves to blame. As sti says they are on it because they want to be. No other reason.

5t.
I think that is slightly missing the point. Heroin IS a very addictive drug, with physical withdrawal symptoms. It may not be that a person 'wants' to be on it. It is more likely to be that they are scared to go cold turkey, which a lot more painful than you may think.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:16 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
seems once your on that stuff theres no turning back.
My understanding is that's a bit of a myth. There are a lot of people who use heroin recreationally and hold down a normal life but like all these things, if you're a vulnerable personality or have difficult circumstances it can overtake your life

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2008, 12:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Giving her daughter money for Heroin for **** sake!

Better that than having money stolen from you to buy it. Or items disapearing out of your home to sell to buy it.

As you say, most people can take a recreational drug and say no to stronger stuff. However as much as everybody knows how addictive certain drugs are, they still want to give it a try. They then ask themselves how they ever got hooked in the first place

Not being a prude, but I've never taken anything. Never even tried a cigarette. Just have no interest in anything like that.

Some people want to try everything once. Some people never know when to say no.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:18 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
My understanding is that's a bit of a myth. There are a lot of people who use heroin recreationally and hold down a normal life.
Exactly, I think it has far more to do with the user rather than the drug. However, it is one hell of a risk to take!

Do you know any users?
Old 24 October 2008, 12:28 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I think that is slightly missing the point. Heroin IS a very addictive drug, with physical withdrawal symptoms. It may not be that a person 'wants' to be on it. It is more likely to be that they are scared to go cold turkey, which a lot more painful than you may think.
They took it because they wanted to is my opinion. There might not be any warning labels on the packet but please, you can't say that today no one goes down this road without knowing they will probably end up robbing their gran or putting cards up in phone boxes.

They chose it. If they want help then they could get it but they'd rather not bother. Clearly someone who would rather not go through withdrawal would rather be a smack head.

Government should legalise it but put rat poison in to the odd bag. Just ups the risk a bit more for them like.

5t.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:57 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Exactly, I think it has far more to do with the user rather than the drug. However, it is one hell of a risk to take!

Do you know any users?
I don't agree with these comments, i've known a few people destroyed by this, seen them injecting and everything. Its a super addictive drug, thats why most people who try it end up fooked.

I do however agree that smoking cannabis leads onto harder drugs, normally the spliffs will lead onto e's while clubbing, then onto coke. People view these drugs as harmless and non addictive, which compared to Heroin and Crack they are. Its then only a minority though who make the move onto the "Dirty Stuff"
Old 24 October 2008, 12:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

My eldest brother was hooked for a long time. He has serious health concerns now and is registered disabled.

We (as a family) went through the problems of an addict. I'm not going to go into them as it's all past history now, but it was VERY hard on all concerned.

My Mum was always supportive, I really couldn't see how myself and did call the Police on him more than once.

However, he came through it all. He's turned into an absolute gem of a person, I'm VERY proud to call him my brother. One day he just realised where his life was going and stopped. Got himself sorted and has been clean ever since.

He even realised one time that he was drinking too much, saw where THAT would lead and has been dry ever since as well.

It's easy for people to say "oh they did it 'cos they wanted to" but the amount of pressure impressionable people are put under to conform can be overwhelming. They also haven't had their brother stood on their doorstep desparate and crying, showing both arms full of needle marks and still not able to stop.

There's a human side to all this and it's ALWAYS tragic.
Old 24 October 2008, 01:03 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I am definitely easily addicted or have an addictive nature (if there is such a thing).
Alcohol is something I'd find very difficult to live without. I'm not alone in that. However, to my knowledge, I have never let that impact my work, home life or relationships.
I've tried cannabis and would rather have a pint
I even graduated to cocaine as it had a certain attraction that I can't explain . I can see the attraction for those who have a pressured lifestyle but it was not for me.
I have given heroin a wide berth as it scares the sh1te out of me.
My greatest addiction is exercise. The lows I get if my routine is upset are pretty extreme Not sure if it is a healthier addiction than most or not. It isn't easy to live with however.
Addictions are within and are not a result of outside influence IMO.
A lot of bollocks is talked about society/family/friends/influences/social standing/opportunities etc.
I come from a drug free family and all of my formative years were spent in a healthy supportive environment. Still I have an addiction within me.
Old 24 October 2008, 01:05 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
One day he just realised where his life was going and stopped.
Good post

That's the point he actually decided he wanted to stop. It is the point all these other addicts need to reach but the majority won't. No one can really make a person stop unless they really want to.

5t.
Old 24 October 2008, 01:05 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I only watched the first 15 minutes or so. Couldn't carry on any further; watching them trying to inject but couldn't because their veins were too hard was giving me the boak. Sorry state to get into.

And all this crap about smoking weed then moving onto speed etc is bullsh*t. I've smoked weed, I've used various narcotics recreationally when out clubbing/festivals. I've never been addicted and by no means did it ever want to make me try heroin.
Old 24 October 2008, 01:11 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
I only watched the first 15 minutes or so. Couldn't carry on any further; watching them trying to inject but couldn't because their veins were too hard was giving me the boak. Sorry state to get into.

And all this crap about smoking weed then moving onto speed etc is bullsh*t. I've smoked weed, I've used various narcotics recreationally when out clubbing/festivals. I've never been addicted and by no means did it ever want to make me try heroin.
Precisely. Smoking weed does not make you a heroin adict.

People can blame their addiction on the drug if they like, but it won't get them off it.
Old 24 October 2008, 01:23 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Precisely. Smoking weed does not make you a heroin adict.

People can blame their addiction on the drug if they like, but it won't get them off it.
agreed, i smoked spliff like it was going out of fashion for years then one day i decided i had had enough and stopped ive never been near a spliff for the last seven years, never led me onto any thing hard either, you can blame what you want but its not a case of smoking a joint then thinking you need something harder
Old 24 October 2008, 02:30 PM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
My understanding is that's a bit of a myth. There are a lot of people who use heroin recreationally and hold down a normal life but like all these things, if you're a vulnerable personality or have difficult circumstances it can overtake your life
Gear is not that type of drug. I have seen it from the start, people trying it just at weekends to being fully blown addicts in a few months.

You cannot use this drug recreationally - have you ever seen anyone on it?

It took 2 of my friends 10 years to kick the habit, the rest are are still on it after 15 or so years. I never see them any more, it's an evil drug that can take anyone no matter what back ground they come from.

I watched my best friend (a girl from a good family) go through hell trying to get off it. She was soon back on it and dealing to pay for her habbit. She ended up doing 3 years and came out clean and is now married with 2 kids and a happy ending.

This drug affects people from all back grounds. I guy local to me died of an over dose last year, he was 45 years and had never touched drugs until he met a girl who was a user, they went out together and he ended up a full blown junkie in less than year.

I would never touched anything, even weed as I have seen what it did to some of my best friends.
Old 24 October 2008, 03:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary Robinson
Colin Ritchie
Ian Ritchie
Jason Saxon
Lee Saxon

I knew all these lads from school, all dead, and yes that includes two sets of brothers, drugs (Heroin amongst other things) was a factor in all these deaths. Lads that are on my school photos, that I played games with in the school playground.

I didnt even live in a rough area
Old 24 October 2008, 04:07 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't think there was much hope for her, did you see that flat when she moved in then the state of it two months later?

Sadly, she'll probably end up whoring and be found dead on the streets from an overdose.
Old 24 October 2008, 04:09 PM
scooblube
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Gary Robinson
Colin Ritchie
Ian Ritchie
Jason Saxon
Lee Saxon

I knew all these lads from school, all dead, and yes that includes two sets of brothers, drugs (Heroin amongst other things) was a factor in all these deaths. Lads that are on my school photos, that I played games with in the school playground.

I didnt even live in a rough area
Not good mate, 3 of my friends died, one was female. We all came from a small village with no dodgy estates and most of them had both parents at home. One guy was from a farming family for christs sake. This drug takes no prisoners, it will take anyone from any background and destroy there life and there familys.
Old 24 October 2008, 04:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

One look a Pete Doherty should put anyone off wanting to try Heroin.

I know of 3 people from my old school that have died from taking Heroin. And that just the ones I know about.
Old 24 October 2008, 09:41 PM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

Ive lived it my oldest daughters mother died of a cocian over dose when she was 25,when I met her I didn't know she was on heroin and by the time I found out it was to late I had fallen in love with her so I said I will help her,worst mistake I have ever made,I wouldn't wish it on anyone,if you are in a relationship with some one on it you mite as well be on it your self because they cause you nothing but graefe,but at least I got my daughter out of it and when she was born she came out turkeying because of her mothers addiction.That program brought a lot of bad memories to me and they only showd you the good parts because believe me when they need it LIFE changes no one matters but them and that girl will never get off it because her mother run around after her so she never really wanted for nothing

Last edited by blu scoob; 24 October 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 25 October 2008, 07:29 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I thought the most disturbing thing about this programme was that there are thousands of scally, working class kids who are addicted to heroin and are in far worse situations, but it takes a middle class kid with naive but supportive parents to bring it properly into the public eye.

I also thought that she was paid/bribed with skag to say that thing at the end about recreational drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, pills etc always leading to other things. That statement is simply not true. It may be true for a percentage of the population but not everybody. I know at least 20 people in my social circle who do coke, pills, MDMA and other so called "designer drugs" and not a single one of these has progressed to anything properly addictive or truly harmful. This has been going on for 10 years+

All of them hold down very respectable and mostly high paid jobs. You would never suspect any of them being "drug users".
Old 25 October 2008, 10:08 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
I also thought that she was paid/bribed with skag to say that thing at the end about recreational drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, pills etc always leading to other things. That statement is simply not true. It may be true for a percentage of the population but not everybody.
All of them hold down very respectable and mostly high paid jobs. You would never suspect any of them being "drug users".
She didn't say it about everybody. She said that is what happened to herself. Can't really argue with her talking about herself.
Old 25 October 2008, 02:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angrynorth
. I know at least 20 people in my social circle who do coke, pills, MDMA and other so called "designer drugs" and not a single one of these has progressed to anything properly addictive or truly harmful. This has been going on for 10 years+

I agree, I dont have an addictive personality, I have tried some things but just for reference and never went back, I can have a Ciggie occasionally and not want to smoke so I do beleive that some people can do these things on and off and not suffer the degeneration into Heroin, I suppose its possible there can be occasional Heroin users that dont end up dead or robbing grannies but they cant be many given its potency, I think the rest of your life just seems mundane.

Not everyone can do that and its a dangerous game trying it.