Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Latest Vulcan petition to Prime Minister

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2008, 06:53 PM
Zeon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not being funny, I'm a big fan of the Vulcan.

But don't you think in the current economic climate that No. 10 would really want to splash cash out on this project? I think the Discovery Channel should fund it and make a big long documentary out of it.
Old 23 October 2008, 07:37 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Waste of money
Old 23 October 2008, 09:19 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Waste of money
Perhaps you would like to explain why ?
Old 23 October 2008, 09:22 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

The thousands of people that have made the Vulcan to the Sky fundraising effort the BIGGEST bar none non humanatarian fund raising this country has ever seen would disagree with you !!!!

Last edited by finchyboy; 23 October 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 23 October 2008, 10:31 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
Perhaps you would like to explain why ?
Wasting taxpayers' money to keep a gas-guzzling, pointless thing in the air.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Old 23 October 2008, 10:58 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

That sort of attitude is why i had to tell my Son the other day that we used to be able to fly to New York in under 4 hour's !!!

He's entitle to his own opinion though.
Old 23 October 2008, 11:37 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
That is why you fail!
No, I'm just not a plane-spotting geek

I wouldn't want any of the taxes I pay wasted on a piece of junk that serves no purpose.

If people want to keep it flying then let them pay for it privately.

I actually used to work on the Vulcan when I was in the RAF and still saw no reason for it then.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:47 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
That sort of attitude is why i had to tell my Son the other day that we used to be able to fly to New York in under 4 hour's !!!

He's entitle to his own opinion though.
Back in the "future" days!
We have moved forward into the stone age.
Old 24 October 2008, 05:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No, I'm just not a plane-spotting geek

I wouldn't want any of the taxes I pay wasted on a piece of junk that serves no purpose.

If people want to keep it flying then let them pay for it privately.

I actually used to work on the Vulcan when I was in the RAF and still saw no reason for it then.
That statement proves a lot!

It actually paid a very large part in saving this country from nuclear destruction as I suspect you very well know.

Les
Old 24 October 2008, 06:05 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It only proves that I don't think taxpers' money should be wasted on a now pointless aircraft that only a very few care about.
Old 26 October 2008, 02:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is in the same league as Spitfires and Lancasters and Hurricanes etc. People love to see them fly and it keeps the memories of what was achieved in their names alive. That alone is sufficient justfication for maintaining them.

Les
Old 26 October 2008, 03:40 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

They should definitely maintain it. Its a far more worthy cause then many of the other shocking wastes of money this gov comes up with. If you don't maintain these things they are gone forever. Its not like some other pointless monument that can be delayed
Old 27 October 2008, 12:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It only proves that I don't think taxpers' money should be wasted on a now pointless aircraft that only a very few care about.
I imagine you were not a Crew Chief then. If you had gone on a few rangers with a decent crew you might think differently.

Les
Old 27 October 2008, 12:53 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I'd still think it was a waste of money, as I did at the time when it was the last flying one for displays only
Old 27 October 2008, 01:05 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

I work on Raf Wyton and RAF Brampton and IMHO i think the money could be better spent else where even though its a stunning bit of kit but i think the times come for the country to stop waisting money on stuff thats not really needed IMHO If there was spare cash then i wouldn't see a problem but with the way the recession is going i think it is unfair to use tax payers money!
Old 27 October 2008, 01:06 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is in the same league as Spitfires and Lancasters and Hurricanes etc. People love to see them fly and it keeps the memories of what was achieved in their names alive. That alone is sufficient justfication for maintaining them.

Les
Lovely to see it but I dont think its in the same league as those planes that helped us beat our foes in a real war. I dont think one ever dropped a bomb in anger did it?

I get quite emotional to see the Battle of Britain flight, but whilst I think the Vulcan is a magnificent aircraft its not really the same is it?
Old 27 October 2008, 01:11 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Les
I have flown in the Lancaster from Raf Coningsby many years ago (Basically hitching a ride!) Long story but i can tell you now i had goose pimples all the way and was simply stunning!

Back then there was only 2 still flying and the other was in Canada but think that 1 has no been grounded! "Think"
Old 27 October 2008, 01:13 PM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Lovely to see it but I dont think its in the same league as those planes that helped us beat our foes in a real war. I dont think one ever dropped a bomb in anger did it?

I get quite emotional to see the Battle of Britain flight, but whilst I think the Vulcan is a magnificent aircraft its not really the same is it?

Very true and i see the sunset dance with the Vulcan fly by a few months ago at Raf Wyton.
Old 27 October 2008, 01:56 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd be quite happy to see the BBMF scrapped.............

and replaced with a

Armed Forces Heritage flight
Old 27 October 2008, 02:03 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

As much as I enjoy planes and air shows I have to side with Pierre and cossie-nutter... I simply think money can be better spent else where........
Old 27 October 2008, 04:54 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

When I read the title, I was expecting some kind of Mr Spock connection.
Old 27 October 2008, 04:56 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
I work on Raf Wyton and RAF Brampton and IMHO i think the money could be better spent else where even though its a stunning bit of kit but i think the times come for the country to stop waisting money on stuff thats not really needed IMHO If there was spare cash then i wouldn't see a problem but with the way the recession is going i think it is unfair to use tax payers money!
I think it would be the final nail in Labours coffin. As if car tax wasn't enough. They will never go for it.
Old 27 October 2008, 05:04 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I am pretty sure Vulcan's dropped bombs in anger during the Falkland's Conflict?
Old 27 October 2008, 05:06 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
I am pretty sure Vulcan's dropped bombs in anger during the Falkland's Conflict?
From Wikipedia.

Although the primary weapon for the Vulcan was nuclear, Vulcans could carry up to 21 x 1,000 pounds (454 kg) bombs in a secondary role. The only combat missions involving the Vulcan took place in the 1982 Falklands War with Argentina, when Vulcans, in the Black Buck operations flew the 3,380 nautical miles (6,260 km) from Ascension Island to Stanley.[6][7] There were three missions to bomb the airfield at Stanley; two to attack Argentine radar installations with missiles and two missions were cancelled.
Old 27 October 2008, 05:23 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

i just paid £139.95 to renew my bloody TV license, perhaps we could create a petition to the PM saying if he dosent lower it were going to roll up the licenses and ram them up his ar$e next year
Old 28 October 2008, 12:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32

You don't know too much about the history of the Vulcan by the looks of it.

It was a major part of the Nuclear Deterrent during the Cold War which you may not actually remember. It was ready to deliver a very large "bucket of sunshine" to the Eastern Bloc if there was any attack from them on the West.Initially there were always Vulcans on standby ready to take off in the case of such an attack. You have to realise that the Vulcan was feared by the Soviets right up to the time it was taken out of service. They knew that they could shoot some of them down but not enough to stop gross destruction of their own lands. They were ready to fly at any time of the day or night and in any weather on a low level attack and could also out turn any fighter at high level.

You also obviously don't know that during the Falklands War that the Vulcan flew the longest ever trip in history by a bomber aircraft in order to blast the runway so that the Argentine Air Force was unable to use the airfield for fighters which was of major significance in the winning of that war by the UK.

So just about everything you said was wrong!

Les
Old 28 October 2008, 01:19 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

You don't know too much about the history of the Vulcan by the looks of it.

It was a major part of the Nuclear Deterrent during the Cold War which you may not actually remember. It was ready to deliver a very large "bucket of sunshine" to the Eastern Bloc if there was any attack from them on the West.Initially there were always Vulcans on standby ready to take off in the case of such an attack. You have to realise that the Vulcan was feared by the Soviets right up to the time it was taken out of service. They knew that they could shoot some of them down but not enough to stop gross destruction of their own lands. They were ready to fly at any time of the day or night and in any weather on a low level attack and could also out turn any fighter at high level.

You also obviously don't know that during the Falklands War that the Vulcan flew the longest ever trip in history by a bomber aircraft in order to blast the runway so that the Argentine Air Force was unable to use the airfield for fighters which was of major significance in the winning of that war by the UK.

So just about everything you said was wrong!

Les
And the Falklands will soon be the only war in living memory, which probably makes the Vulcan's role even more significant. I have seen it here in work, and it is smaller than I expected. Got some good mobile footage of it doing a practise flight round the area, what a noisy bugger!

Quick Reply: Latest Vulcan petition to Prime Minister