Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff!
Old 21 October 2008, 03:38 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

As they have a bit more money than expected though, it should read..

"There's definitely no God. Now stop acting like a child thinking there is and enjoy your life without trying to prey for good things to happen, because that's not how it works in real life."
Old 21 October 2008, 03:40 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

fab
Old 21 October 2008, 06:05 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Waste of space.

Should delete the word "probably"

Old 21 October 2008, 06:15 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

"Christianity is for people who aren't afraid to think about life and meaning."
On the contrary. Religious belief is for people who are afraid to think about life and meaning.

Now stick that in your thurible and waft it, Missus!
Old 21 October 2008, 06:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet they wont put "There is probably no Allah" on the side.....
Old 21 October 2008, 07:20 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Brilliant. Good bit of boat rocking
They say in the report that there might be graffiti sprayed on the posters, maybe someone will cross out God and write Allah in it's place on some of them. It's all mad anyway.
Should be interesting to see public reactions to this anyhoo
Old 21 October 2008, 08:12 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

can't we have a 'there's probably no man made climate change. now stop worrying and enjoy your life'?

thought not
Old 21 October 2008, 08:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Who says theyre worrying anyway
Old 21 October 2008, 08:26 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

What a cracking idea, good for them.
Old 21 October 2008, 09:05 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoskib
can't we have a 'there's probably no man made climate change. now stop worrying and enjoy your life'?

thought not
That's more like it. Should be about something important. The country and the rest of Europe is being run on the basis that we are all responsible for this terrible situation plaguing the planet, which is nonsense.

There's too much money being made from it to stop it unfortunately.
Old 22 October 2008, 04:43 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large. People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good, but they still don't like it."

said Stephen Green of the pressure group Christian Voice

LMAO
Old 22 October 2008, 05:15 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Whoever thinks that there is no God is a bit retarded.

Look at this amazing World that was given to us by God.

on the contrary, you may say "but its full of pr*ck, especially in England, why would God give us pr*ck?"...

Well, God also gave us free will.... and through seeing bad, we appreciate what is good....

How you chose to live out your religious duties is another question though.

I believe in God, do you?
Old 22 October 2008, 07:34 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Eh?

I don't believe in God, i'm with Bubba, it's something people convince theirselves of if they are scared of dying.

Just off the A1 near my parents' house there is a great big advert saying something like 'Prepare to meet your God!' It really winds me up! I don't mind people having their own beliefs but i'm not impressed when they start to force them upon me.
Old 22 October 2008, 07:49 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
Eh?

I don't believe in God, i'm with Bubba, it's something people convince theirselves of if they are scared of dying.

Just off the A1 near my parents' house there is a great big advert saying something like 'Prepare to meet your God!' It really winds me up! I don't mind people having their own beliefs but i'm not impressed when they start to force them upon me.
Just look at the world we live in, we have day and night, weather, seasons, we have feelings, relationships, work, we have cars, houses and luxuries, you really think all this would come from science....?

I'm a religious man, and I think about life and the meaning of life alllll the time I'm not scared to think about anything... I practice the religion, so I think about why I practice it. Makes sense no? The only reason I would be scared of dying, is if I knew that I was living a sinful life (and therefore not go to heaven)... Or if I had my own family, and leaving them alone....

Forcing your religion onto others is another matter though....
Old 22 October 2008, 08:05 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djmisio85
Just look at the world we live in, we have day and night, weather, seasons, we have feelings, relationships, work, we have cars, houses and luxuries, you really think all this would come from science....?
Well...

Day and night are a direct result of the earth's rotation about its axis - science.
Weather? Attributable, I'm sure you'd agree, to the effect of heat from the sun on land, the oceans and the atmosphere. Science again.
Seasons? As above, bearing in mind that the earth orbits the sun.

On the other hand: cars, houses and other luxuries are, I'll agree, definitely God's work - there's no way that they could possibly have been created by mankind, or that science could ever have been involved. (Oh, wait... I'm sure I remember learning something about engines in a Physics class once... darn!)
Old 22 October 2008, 08:11 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Well...

Day and night are a direct result of the earth's rotation about its axis - science.
Weather? Attributable, I'm sure you'd agree, to the effect of heat from the sun on land, the oceans and the atmosphere. Science again.
Seasons? As above, bearing in mind that the earth orbits the sun.

On the other hand: cars, houses and other luxuries are, I'll agree, definitely God's work - there's no way that they could possibly have been created by mankind, or that science could ever have been involved. (Oh, wait... I'm sure I remember learning something about engines in a Physics class once... darn!)
Ok, I posted this in the Evolution vs Creation thread,

What about feelings, why, when a person sees something sad, does a tear come out of their eyes? Its not to lubricate their eyes is it? Is it like an intercooler water spray, but for humans?
Old 22 October 2008, 08:26 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I don't know. Maybe it's a response which indicates the existence of a problem to other members of the social group - and that the exact nature of the signal doesn't really matter as long as it's recognised?

On the other hand, why is that a relevant question? How can you draw any conclusions about the origin of mankind by pointing out an observed response to a stimulus?
Old 22 October 2008, 08:48 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

[quote=Flaps;8214516]Eh?

it's something people convince theirselves of if they are scared of dying.

quote]

I find it so frustrating when people who have no belief or faith use the above quote.

So what if religion / faith makes people stronger regarding Death thats not a bad thing. I'm scared ****less of dying. The thought of leaving my kids behind just gives me the heebie jeebies But I have faith and if it helps me get my head round it then so what. I can't believe there are that many people who don't worry about the consequences of death and death itself

For me if I had to choose Heaven or Hell for when I died I know which one I would pick. And I'm sure most people would, apart from the real fecked up minds out there

Anyway Faith is so much more than about dying. Look at the poor lady who was shot because she was a Christian........What a brave lady she was. And I bet not many from here would put their life on the line to help people in a war torn country ???? (and I know what you will say back about this)

Don't knock it till you have tried it. I use to be the same about the whole religion thing. But then I had a few experiences, shall we say. So I thought hey grow up and stop knocking things. Best thing I have ever done.
Old 22 October 2008, 08:49 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I don't know. Maybe it's a response which indicates the existence of a problem to other members of the social group - and that the exact nature of the signal doesn't really matter as long as it's recognised?

On the other hand, why is that a relevant question? How can you draw any conclusions about the origin of mankind by pointing out an observed response to a stimulus?
Because the main stimulus for an eye to secrete water is dry eyes, a blink and a squirt, keeps your eyes lubed up... what about your stomach tightening up/clenching when you see something sad....

I see the work of God in my life daily, one time a mate got hit by a car, could have easily been me, but i was literally a metre ahead of him...... some people could put everything down to luck, but then again, where does luck come from.... was the world created by chance?
Old 22 October 2008, 08:54 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib

thought not
I don't know, I watched The Day After Tomorrow last night, and turned the heating down!
Old 22 October 2008, 08:57 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

"I should be surprised if a quasi-religious advertising campaign like this did not attract graffiti. - does anyone else think that sounds like a threat / encouragement?
Old 22 October 2008, 08:58 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

[quote=djmisio85;8214616]
I see the work of God in my life daily,quote]

I agree, the problem is most people are blind to it. I have experienced things there is no explanation for.
People don't know what they are missing out on. It doesn't change you for who you are. And you don't become a boring, Geek Bible bashing herman, and I think most people are scared of this. Im the exact same person I was except i am happier and just more refreshed . Most of my mates say "you can't be religious, your the same guy we have always known" or "you can't swear your a christian"...........
Old 22 October 2008, 09:01 AM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Religion satisfies the minds of the dim witted, everyone else takes science.

Why are emotions repeatedly banded around as evidence for a higher power?

Empathy and emotional responses make for good understanding between people and enables successful communities. This has evolved to the complex society we have now.
Old 22 October 2008, 09:06 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos

Empathy and emotional responses make for good understanding between people and enables successful communities. This has evolved to the complex society we have now.
Someone in the Evolution vs Creation thread said, emotions are used to give people an advantage, ie, if they look sad, they will get help from the people who feel sorry for them.....

So I said, what advantage do I gain from crying, when I watch Titanic..... on my own....?
And when I get sad, why does my stomach cramp up, what possible advantage do I get from that?!?
Old 22 October 2008, 09:10 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

[quote=rabbos]Religion satisfies the minds of the dim witted, everyone else takes science.

quote]

Now you calling me Dim Witted

I would say science then would be just as bad. How many times have we been told they have proved something for another bunch of guys 10yrs later to come and say actually that was wrong this is right ???

I have neversaid that my emotions are what makes me believe in God. That would be silly

Last edited by MOK79; 22 October 2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 22 October 2008, 09:14 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabbos

Hmm, wait a minute, what about Einstien, and Newton, and Faraday, and Pasteur, and Kelvin, and Planck, and Lemaitre and countless other brilliant scientists that were religious?

Were they dim witted, or what?
Old 22 October 2008, 09:32 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Imagine for a moment, that it were possible to take a modern luxury car back in time and give it to a tribe of stone-age people. Imagine how they might react.

Many would regard it with awe and wonder. It would be like nothing else they had ever seen. It would do amazing things, it would look and feel like nothing they had ever experienced. Everything about it would be obviously designed for the comfort and pleasure of its possessor. It would be clear, overwhelming evidence for the existence of a God.

Others might observe that it could be dangerous, and that it produced choking fumes. It would be feared and hated. In other words, not everything about it is good. They might want to destroy it.

Then there would be those who, though no less in awe than those who worshipped it, would also want to understand it. So, they'd begin to look at it more carefully, to figure out not just its most basic purpose, but what really makes it tick.

So, they might begin by taking off the wheels, thereby finding the suspension - and they'd work out that it's the suspension that's responsible for the comfy ride. They'd discover the engine and gearbox, and though they couldn't reproduce them with the tools and materials at hand, they could begin to understand their function in some detail.

On the way, they would discover metallurgy, ergonomics, synthetic materials, aerodynamics, mathematics and other sciences, and they would derive great benefits from these.

But, they'd never understand everything. They might well understand the need for the fuel injection and ignition timiing systems, and would marvel at how well they worked - but the inner workings of the ECU would be completely beyond them. The entire electrical system - consisting, as it does, of anonymous black boxes connected by wires, with its endless variety of responses to stimuli that somehow keep the whole ticking along - would be cited as evidence that the whole car could never be created by man.

They'd be wrong, of course. It might take a few thousand years, but eventually they would discover electricity, and semiconductors, and the ECU and the CD player would finally give up their secrets.

Not having all the answers, right now, does NOT constitute evidence of a God.
Old 22 October 2008, 09:47 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOK79
So what if religion / faith makes people stronger regarding Death thats not a bad thing. I'm scared ****less of dying. The thought of leaving my kids behind just gives me the heebie jeebies But I have faith and if it helps me get my head round it then so what. I can't believe there are that many people who don't worry about the consequences of death and death itself
Why should we worry about death,it's natural you can't do anything about it (yet).

Quick Reply: There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life