Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting a new bike methinks

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2008, 07:59 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a new bike methinks

Earlier this year I traded in my 16 year old tough as a tank Claud Butler mountain bike for a brand new Claud Butler Urban 200.
Use it for a 14 mile round trip to work and back and really enjoy it.
The bike's been fine but it seems to have an ongoing reluctance to to go in the smallest front cog on a regular basis no matter what or who worked on it.
I've kept the bike in good nick with regular services as per my big cycling bible

On the way home from work I decided to lengthen the route somewhat and whilst in the middle of nowhere setting off from a busy junction I heard a reassuing PING.
One of the rear spokes decided it didn't want to play anymore and ejected itself.
Managed to get home ok but the rear wheel went a bit wobbly

I rung up the shop where I bought the bike from. "Well, spoke's are just normal wear and tear mate...but....er, I'll fix it under warrenty this time"
Oh right, thanks.

Popped into work a bit later and whilst recounting this story to my cycling nut colleague (who said it was complete bs as he'd never broken a spoke) our new cleaner said her other half was a bike mechanic for a local store. Popped to see him for a bit of advice and he said Claud Butler are now a bit of a joke within the more serious cyclists and wheren't the brand I thought they are. Something I've had for only a few short months shouldn't break like that.
Had a look at a couple of their Giant and Specialized Hybrid types but then moved onto one of Lincolns other bike shops and found this:
SCOTT | Bike | Bikes | Road | Sportster | Sportster P55

Seems a tough bike and heard good stuff about Scott bikes being reliable
Now just got to sell the Claud and I'll be picking this up methinks.
Old 16 October 2008, 08:08 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

What is your budget?
Old 16 October 2008, 08:19 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Looks good matey, I'm just waiting for Lincoln Halfrauds to get my Boardman bike in
Cheers
AC
Old 16 October 2008, 08:30 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Cheaper bikes come with machine built wheels and can often benefit from getting properly trued and tensioned by a real wheelbuilder. It may have been overtensioned which caused the spoke to snap. Or you may be a big lad (sorry!), or the rear mech(derailleur) may have got caught in a spoke and caused it to snap. You'd usually know if this happened tho...

Your front gear change will most likely be caused by the fairly basic chainset/mech combo you're running being a bit worn. An upgrade would make a difference, but once you start spending money you won't stop...

The Scott you're looking at won't be that much better, it still runs fairly cheap componentry which will wear over time and you'll get the same result. Although Claud Butler may not have the kudos of a nicer brand you'll probably find that all the frames/bikes are made in the same factory in taiwan If you like the bike spend a wee bit of time and money and upgrade it and you'll be happy. Then again if you've gone off it just flog it

Brian
Old 16 October 2008, 09:16 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Clauds USED to be handbuilt at Brigg at the falcon factory.
Now they are part assembled there, with all parts inc frames coming from the far east

Tanya
Old 17 October 2008, 01:51 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alpha charlie
Looks good matey, I'm just waiting for Lincoln Halfrauds to get my Boardman bike in
Cheers
AC
I nearly got one of these the other week through the cycle to work scheme.
I'd popped in there to get something and had a wander round the bike hut and it really caught my eye.
Very tempted but the Halfraud horror stories put me off a bit - plus the Scott seems a little bit more versitile.

If I can find someone to give me something like 200 notes for the CB then I'll match that for a new bike. The Scott's top of my list but I've been looking at some of the stuff on wiggle like Focus bikes. But the problem is I have'nt a clue about some of these other brands.

I'm a bit unsure of the CB now. I'm not sure I trust it's going to be reliable for me. I'd taken a major detour as I wanted spend some time training on it and I was working my way out into the sticks. I'm not sure now if I fully trust it anymore.

I've read a few posts elsewhere on scoobynet from folks a fair bit more into biking than me and £400 seems about right for a decent commuter bike - just gotta pick the right one I s'pose
I'm off tomorrow and I might pop back in the Scott dealer and see what accessories I can get as part of a deal with it

Thanks for the advice
Old 17 October 2008, 04:48 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

I remember claud butler bikes "used" to be good, but from the late 90's they started equipping them with cheap parts like suntour suspension.....

You want a good budget all-rounder, I would suggest GT bikes

But also as mentioned, scott and specialized are very good (for a little more cash) and giant also good budget bikes.

Maybe look at Kona bikes

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2008, 09:11 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

My '09 Kona CinderCone is coming on Tuesday

Getting it through the cycle to work scheme, can't wait!!

First new bike in about 20 years :-O
Old 17 October 2008, 09:54 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

The bike's been fine but it seems to have an ongoing reluctance to to go in the smallest front cog on a regular basis no matter what or who worked on it.
Wrong size front mech or bottom bracket.

Save your dosh and get someone who knows what they are doing to have a look at it
Old 17 October 2008, 01:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I *want* this one: 2009 Specialized Tricross sport 27 soooooo bad.

Unfortunately work do not have a cycle to work scheme which is utterly ridiculous so I may have to resort to full price. God help me.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bonehead, are you, er, on the chunky side ?

I have been told that my sixteen stones may be a bit of a spokebreaker, I bought a Cannondale Bad Boy 700 through the Cycle to Wrok scheme as it looked nice and Cannondales tend to cater for the heavier rider (being made in America)

Have done 500 miles on it now and it feels great, you can get cheaper versions if you cant stretch to £600 and just lose disk brakes which were crap and got replaced anyway.

I suppose spokes can just break, commuting evrey day fully laden down urban roads with potholes and rough tracks.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns

Unfortunately work do not have a cycle to work scheme which is utterly ridiculous so I may have to resort to full price. God help me.
That is rather nice !

I am going to give it a year to see how I get on and then sell the car, get a cheapy and spend some of the difference on a nice carbon roadie.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:52 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It is isn't it? For the commute I do, the Cyclocross is the ideal bike. That one has 32c tyres on and room in the frame / fork for proper sized guards. It has all the mounting points for anything you may want to add. The bars are wide enough for two sets of lights, comp and bell.

Chunkier feel and stronger parts but still lighter than my present bike. Plus a 50/11 top gear would make for quick descents Plus the drop bars for a faster commute.

I've actually realised that I've hit the limit of my flat bar for commute speed. My more sat up stance means that anything above 20 isn't going to happen and it's natural speed is about 18mph on the flat.

I've actually plateaued on my commute time at approximately 1 hour home (could be quicker but I'm held up by traffic in Derby City centre)

I think if I sell my car and get a cheap runabout, this will be the new commute machine
Old 17 October 2008, 02:13 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

This is the bike i am getting in end of November..

Focus Izalco Tria 2008 Only £899.99

Reason being it will take a big drop in price then, hopefully a few hundred.
Old 17 October 2008, 02:14 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Mountain Bikes | MTB | Road Bikes | Bike Frames | All Terrain Cycles

this is my local bike shop.

personally I use trek mtb's- fine but with hard use expect to be renewing every part of the drive about every 12 mths or so.- i.e just had to put a new top ring on as its worn out.

have a 12-13 old univega- don't think you can get them, but as stong as an ox really.

If yr road cycling/commuting I'd seriously look at a handbuild bike from a local bike shop. all these factory jobs are too quirky. I've had a couple of bespoke ones over the years- you can tell the difference-esp on big distances.

you want something to fit yr height/weight, style or riding etc.

prob is- just like our imprezas- its down to budget. but quality generally will last.

wouldn't touch anything halfrauds with a big stick.
Old 17 October 2008, 02:15 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

If i was loaded, then i wouldn't think twice!

Only 5k
Old 17 October 2008, 02:23 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Dedrater, do you race Time Trials then ?

Nice bike the felt, couple of the lads in my club race on them...

I make do with my trusty Planet X....

Old 17 October 2008, 02:33 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Been thinking about a new bike for a while. Just spent a fortune having it all serviced though. Never considered about asking work about the bike to work scheme though. Might have a think about it over christmas
Old 17 October 2008, 02:35 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Nice bike Mogsi
Old 17 October 2008, 02:47 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My lunchtime hack bike is a Spesh Tricross single. I keep it in the basement at work and use it for lunchtime exercise. I went for the single because a) i ride it along gravel canal towpaths and there's less drivetrain to get worn out with the grit/dust, and b) a single makes you work harder. It's a good bike.

Old 17 October 2008, 03:52 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I have this for errr hmmm sale

Old 17 October 2008, 04:03 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mogsi
Dedrater, do you race Time Trials then ?

Nice bike the felt, couple of the lads in my club race on them...

I make do with my trusty Planet X....

No i do triathlons, nothing mega serious mind. Very nice that bike Mogsi.
Old 17 October 2008, 04:05 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Gods, I kicked off a bike **** thread
Old 17 October 2008, 04:16 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Gods, I kicked off a bike **** thread
Oh go on then, my other steeds

Summer club bike...

MTB

The daily commute / Winter Hack

Old 17 October 2008, 04:18 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=J4CKO;8204124]Bonehead, are you, er, on the chunky side ?

QUOTE]

No mate. I lead a very very active lifestyle and am a bit of a excercise nerd so I ain't no lard ***
I do weigh 14 stone though.........

Seriously I'm not a fatty.
Was speaking to one of the gurus in my local bike shop. He was shocked that the bike had broke like that and said he'd heard plenty of horro stories about CB bikes over the past few years.

Seems like they're not the brand they once were, to say the least!

Top advice here folks!

I wish had a: the room and b: the money, for a few bikes.

I had another look at that Scott P55 - I deffo, 100%, want it. That was until I looked at the other Scott a bit further along in the shop. Then a Trek then the........
Also got a giant Giant catologue yesterday. There's about four or forty bikes that'd fit the bill for me.
I'm totally now

Last edited by Bonehead; 17 October 2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 17 October 2008, 05:11 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Mogsi do you want to trade in your 2nd bike ?

with pedals for mine
Old 17 October 2008, 06:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Did 37.4 mph on the way home tonight, going for the magic 40 but a car got in my way , quite pleasing for a lump on a hybrid with high wind resistance (oversize hi viz to fit over fleece come winter) lights, mirror etc.

Bike is looking satisfyingly filthy, doing a new route that involves some off roading, its a bit more scenic and free of articulated lorries.

Am commited to loosing a couple of stone to improve my speed now and get a road bike for the weekend, loving the time trail bikes but riding one of those would imply performance I couldnt possibly live up to.

Toying with the idea of buying an old snotter and having a go at the fixed gear thing, just to see what all the fuss is.
Old 17 October 2008, 07:54 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

The Boardman bikes from Halfords are excellent and offer amazing value for money.
There isn't much love for Halfords out there but it's very hit and miss. Some stores have very competent mechanics and the quality of some of the bikes is overlooked because 'it's Halfords,' Quite a blinkered, elitist attitude.
Old 17 October 2008, 10:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My only input is to treat transmission parts as disposable !
Quite a few years back I let the DHSS sponsor my training (!)

My Giant Escaper ate a full groupset every six months, covering about 300 miles a week.... then someone told me I was over-training LOL

TBH once you reach a decent level of fitness it's addictive. I used to do Hull to York and back for "fun" 76 miles ! And Hull to Scarborough and back once a week. Furthest day trip was to NEMBA in Robin Hood's Bay in 1990 a grand total of 112 miles in 18 hours.

Eee a grand day out !

DunxC

P.S. Yes I do know I could be faster/quicker on a road bike.....
DunxC
Old 17 October 2008, 11:16 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Marin do some nice bikes.

Marin

Quick Reply: Getting a new bike methinks