Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any BT/phone line experts on here?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2008, 04:29 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any BT/phone line experts on here?

Hello.

When I moved into my house it had two different phone numbers. Phone number 2 had just one socket in an upstairs bedroom. We had this line disconnected. The socket is still upstairs in that bedroom.

Is it possible to get this socket in the bedroom reconnected but as the main number of the house ie the one I retained? If so, how?

Thanks
Old 14 October 2008, 04:45 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Do you want that socket to be an extension to your current (live) master socket? Or do you want to swap so that the socket in the bedroom becomes the master socket and the other one is disabled?
Old 14 October 2008, 04:57 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

the quick free way (apart from cable costs) is to just reroute the cable from the bt side that goes to the current live socket, and connect it to the disconnected socket. Only 2 wires

** disclaimer - I will also add that it is illegal to tamper with bt wires outside of your property
Old 14 October 2008, 05:00 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Look inside the sockets, if there is another telephone cable in there as well as the main incoming cable, then chances are they were linked before the 2nd line was installed, thus can be re-joined again using that cable.
Old 14 October 2008, 05:14 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

CD, I don't want the pre existing one disabled. I just want to be able to run my broadband in that room.

Jay, I want to keep the other sockets working aswell.

Scooby L, thanks I'll have a look see
Old 14 October 2008, 05:17 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Why don't you get a wireless modem and plug it in down stairs?
Old 14 October 2008, 05:35 PM
jacrobat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
Why don't you get a wireless modem and plug it in down stairs?
Or one of the powerline systems that uses the property's ringmain

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2008, 05:53 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
CD, I don't want the pre existing one disabled. I just want to be able to run my broadband in that room.

Jay, I want to keep the other sockets working aswell.

Scooby L, thanks I'll have a look see
In which case the existing socket is of no use as it's a BT master socket. These are different to extension sockets as they have a bell capacitor within them. You need to wire an extension off your live master socket up to the bedroom. Use CAT5 Ethernet cable (preferably the screened variety) from the master socket as it's much better for ADSL the normal telephone cable. Take of the face plate and there are terminals for wiring in extensions, don't connect the bell wires, you only need two wires going up to the extension socket. Google it, there are plenty of guides as to what wire goes where.

You'll need microfilters in you master socket and on the extension.
Old 23 October 2008, 06:20 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
In which case the existing socket is of no use as it's a BT master socket. These are different to extension sockets as they have a bell capacitor within them. You need to wire an extension off your live master socket up to the bedroom. Use CAT5 Ethernet cable (preferably the screened variety) from the master socket as it's much better for ADSL the normal telephone cable. Take of the face plate and there are terminals for wiring in extensions, don't connect the bell wires, you only need two wires going up to the extension socket. Google it, there are plenty of guides as to what wire goes where.

You'll need microfilters in you master socket and on the extension.
Hi.

I took off the face plate in the bedroom, it has two sockets on the face plate if that makes any difference.
Inside there are only two wires connected an orange and white one. There is a black wire and green wire, neither of which are connected

Does this change anything? Can I defo not use this as an extension somehow? Its just that running an extension from the existing master to the bedroom will be a pain as they are on opposite sides of the house.

Thanks
Old 23 October 2008, 07:49 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Ignore my last post. I'm going to take CD's advice and run Cat5 cable from the master socket to the bedroom
Old 23 October 2008, 08:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

You shouldnt have any problems wiring up the master socket in your bedroom off the other master socket best to use a white/colour so you dont get mixed up (they should be twisted), pretty easy to do, you just need a pair of pliers or a small screwdriver, unless you have a krone tool

Here for a bit of help UK Telephone Wiring

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 23 October 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 24 October 2008, 09:32 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
You shouldnt have any problems wiring up the master socket in your bedroom off the other master socket best to use a white/colour so you dont get mixed up (they should be twisted), pretty easy to do, you just need a pair of pliers or a small screwdriver, unless you have a krone tool

Here for a bit of help UK Telephone Wiring

Tony
Hi Tony.

One end of the BT cable ends in the bedroom socket with the white and orange wires connected. The socket is a master with bell capacitor, but I could easily change this for a slave socket, correct?

The other end of that cable ends at my real master socket, but is not connected, its just lying loose. I could reconnect it to the master and then hey presto it should work right?

On another point. This cable is 5-10 years old if not more. I'm going to be using this extension for broadband connection (over which I'll be streaming napster music/internet radio) Would this be ok or should I change it for Cat5?

Many thanks
Old 24 October 2008, 01:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Yep you can just connect it, and if you want you can change it to a slave socket, though you dont have to, and as long as you dont have more than 5 extensions your ok anyway

As for the cable, yes it may be a little old but it doesnt decay like external cabling which gets weathered, and the main problem with the external cabling is from the pole to the house, the temperature changes crack the plastic coating (plus the birds that sit on it etc) so thats meant to be changed every 10 years, but most of those exchanges out there have had the same cables in there for 15 years with no issues or degredation, so you will be ok on the original cable/twisted pair

Tony
Old 24 October 2008, 02:24 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Yep you can just connect it, and if you want you can change it to a slave socket, though you dont have to, and as long as you dont have more than 5 extensions your ok anyway

As for the cable, yes it may be a little old but it doesnt decay like external cabling which gets weathered, and the main problem with the external cabling is from the pole to the house, the temperature changes crack the plastic coating (plus the birds that sit on it etc) so thats meant to be changed every 10 years, but most of those exchanges out there have had the same cables in there for 15 years with no issues or degredation, so you will be ok on the original cable/twisted pair

Tony
It is external though. The previous owners of the house ran it around the outside of the house!
Old 24 October 2008, 02:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
It is external though. The previous owners of the house ran it around the outside of the house!
May be best to change it then just ensure its got a good weatherproof coating on it

Tony
Old 24 October 2008, 03:26 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

May be best to change it then just ensure its got a good weatherproof coating on it

Tony
Thanks. Yes, I may aswell replace it with external Cat5e cable, the holes in the walls are already there, so shouldn't be too problematic
Old 26 October 2008, 06:21 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

if your going to run it extnl use a black cable as this as weather resistant plastic ( it as carbon added to resist cracking) and will not brittle with age
Old 26 October 2008, 08:56 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shooter007
if your going to run it extnl use a black cable as this as weather resistant plastic ( it as carbon added to resist cracking) and will not brittle with age
Thanks, I've only seen beige/white and grey so far but I'll look for black