Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You think our traffic police are bad

The 'joys' of driving in France

Don't mess with the French police - Telegraph
Old 14 October 2008, 12:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Never had any trouble driving in France.
Old 14 October 2008, 01:51 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

The French kill off nearly twice the number of people on the roads as we do, especially in the rural area where they all speed and drink and drive.

Also, every holiday the British, Italians, Swiss, Belgians, Germans, Dutch, Spanish etc... use France as a big through-road with disregard for the law on the most part.

The French Govt tried to reason with the motorists - or at least the French ones - so now they've gone draconian.

My parents live in France and their doctor was stopped on the way to an emergency (heart-attack) and still got fined for speeding.

I learnt the hard way 3-4 years ago and now NEVER speed in France.
Old 14 October 2008, 02:59 PM
spireite
BANNED

If it saves lives good on em
Old 14 October 2008, 09:06 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

just bring false plate s for every country lol if they see a uk plate u are fooked lol
Old 14 October 2008, 10:31 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Shame really that our Police are a SERVICE, not a PARA-MILITARY force. Hence, you can probably get away with calling them a few bad words whilst you cool off rather than being cuffed and stuffed.

Love the description of how to pay a roadside penalty. "If we like them, we'll drive them to the bank, if not, we'll tell them to ring a cab."

J.
Old 14 October 2008, 10:32 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Yup, I used to cane it on the autoroutes, but no more. You have to much more careful now. Each year they seem to have have more radar guns, more laser guns, more speed cameras and more Gendarme Scoobies. Having been fined once, I keep some emergency Euro's in my wallet, and watch my speed!

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2008, 10:38 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scarey
The French kill off nearly twice the number of people on the roads as we do, especially in the rural area where they all speed and drink and drive. Well every little helps

Also, every holiday the British, Italians, Swiss, Belgians, Germans, Dutch, Spanish etc... use France as a big through-road with disregard for the law on the most part.

Old 14 October 2008, 10:43 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

A bloke I know over ere (France) got a call from the local gendarmes saying he had been flashed speeding some time back, he had the car reg'd at another address and they had just caught up with him

90 euros fine (or whatever), trying to wriggle out of it he replied saying 'sorry I dont know who was driving that day'
they then said ok so you didnt know, so thats a 900 euro fine for not being a responsible owner of a motor vehicle, he got away with the 90 and don't think he got points

seen more and more speed traps lately, will have to get me a camera detector, which they can take off you!
Old 14 October 2008, 10:51 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

These fines are not new though, they have been in place for at least 18 months, possibly more.

After I was flashed by a french static camera in late 2006, I searched around the web to see what would happen after I had returned to the UK. As it happened nothing did, and 2 years later thats still the case. I have returned to france in the same car and also had no problem.

The site has a page dedicated to the penalties that french drivers now face following the introduction of license points a few years ago.

Speeding fines in France

Some of the penalties are quiet draconian for the locals, especially when compared to the UK.