Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Domain Name Scam?!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2008, 02:32 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Domain Name Scam?!!

I recieved a final demand letter from 1 & 1 Internet yesterday, stating my domain name fee was overdue, and that if I didn't respond/pay within 10 days the account was being passed over to a debt collection agency...

So I ring them to ask what domain name had I overseen payment on?

They ask for the password connected to my account...I tell them until 5 mins ago I never even knew of the account! how do you expect me to know the password!.. she then said go online and use the user control panel (using my account number) to request the password... so like a sheep I do...

In the meantime she told me the domain name...one I'd never used even though it bore a resemblence to my company name...

2 hours later still no password.... so I ring again.... this time..different lady... same question...what was the account password... I tell her that I've been online to find that out, and that the email address must be out of date because I never got the password emailed to me, she comes back with an email address linked to the account that I've never used or heard of.

So now I'm thinking... domain name I've never used, contact email I've never heard of... I've obviously never reqested this... to which she suddenly tells me to send a letter of cancellation and they would clear the debt no questions asked...

Sound fishy?.. anyone else out there getting these wierd letters?
Old 09 October 2008, 02:35 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Where's that Picard face-palm pic
Old 09 October 2008, 02:37 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

............................................______ __........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:, ........
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
.................../.................................................. .........,}....
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............
Old 09 October 2008, 02:39 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

pmsl Awesome
Old 09 October 2008, 04:29 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I've used 1&1 for a while now with no problems. I really doubt that it's fraud. Are you sure it was them?

They have never asked me for a password to connect to the account - just account number and a few "normal" security questions (address, name etc)

How did they get your contact details if you have never spoken to them before? - Off whois?
Old 09 October 2008, 04:32 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Not sure... the letter was addressed to me... but not my company..but at my company's address...
Old 09 October 2008, 04:36 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Assume you have checked out the website which you are supposed to owe money on? I'm always getting reminders that I owe money on domains I haven't used/owned for years....they usually just say if I dont renew they will be offered to other people..
Old 09 October 2008, 05:45 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
I've used 1&1 for a while now with no problems. I really doubt that it's fraud. Are you sure it was them?

They have never asked me for a password to connect to the account - just account number and a few "normal" security questions (address, name etc)

How did they get your contact details if you have never spoken to them before? - Off whois?
Fair do's, sounded like a scam 'cause Scooby L didn't seem to have a clue about ithe domain. I don't give any info out unless I'm 100% sure who and what I'm giving info about.

Last edited by Torquemada; 09 October 2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more info :D
Old 09 October 2008, 07:55 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Just do a "whois" on the domain name and it will tell you who owns it. If its you then cut the drugs out, if not then nothing to worry about

Simon
Old 10 October 2008, 08:59 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I had a renewal notse which appeared to come from the registration organisation (Nominet or something), for a domain I used to have, but with a renewal fee of over £80. I wondered if that was a scam, given that it only costs a few quid for a domain
Old 10 October 2008, 09:03 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

1and1 accounts dept ask for the password, I've phoned them three or four times in the last month or so
Old 10 October 2008, 09:15 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
I had a renewal notse which appeared to come from the registration organisation (Nominet or something), for a domain I used to have, but with a renewal fee of over £80. I wondered if that was a scam, given that it only costs a few quid for a domain
Seeing that Nominet is the official registrar for all .uk domains, it's not a scam. It is expensive to renew through them, though so you're better renewing through an ISP instead.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:59 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I've spoken to my business partner, and he recalls some government offer where they "reserve" the .org and .com of domain names (even though you do not use them)... maybe this has flagged up as my domain as a result... I'm not sure...
Old 10 October 2008, 10:32 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The "domain registry of America" is known to do such things (and sell on as stupid rates). Not 1&1 to my knowledge