Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do you reverse with a braked trailer???

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2008, 04:15 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you reverse with a braked trailer???

Can anyone answer this problem for me. Towed a trailer recently with a brake, when the car braked, a contact plate pushed against the towing hitch, which engaged a braking mechanism on the trailer.

Problem I found was when reversing the car with the trailer attached, this would engage the trailer brake preventing it from moving backward, is there some technique I am unaware of here, or can you just not reverse with this type of trailer?
Old 28 September 2008, 04:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, there's usually a method. Modern trailer hitches won't engage the brake unless they detect a fairly violent change in speed, so gently reversing allows the trailer to move backwards.

Older trailers have something on the hitch that can usually be moved so as to stop the hitch moving inwards, and putting on the brakes.

They tenede to be all different, so you'l have to look carefully, or put the name of the hitch manufacturer into Google.

The last one I had like that was a lever that was pulled to face forwards against a spring, then the hitch was turned slightly and the end of the lever engaged under a lug on the hitch, the hitch being turned upright held it in place.When you reveresed th hitch tried to compress, but the soild lever stopped it, result= no braking.

Alcazar
Old 28 September 2008, 04:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very slowly.

Les
Old 28 September 2008, 08:09 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Speed shouldnt matter on most modern units. Alko, BPW and Knott are the larger mufacturers and they all use auto-reverse shoes and have done for several years. Its a fancy arrangement of brake shoes that work as normal in one direction, but when reversed, one she collapses on its mount, allowing the drum to turn freely. Yanking the handbrake on fully overcomes this mechanism and block the drum from rotating in both directions for arking the trailer.
Older trailers that dont have this should have a locking lever of some kind on the hitch that prevents the hitch damper from compressing when you reverse.
Old 28 September 2008, 08:13 PM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

Backwards always helps too.
Old 29 September 2008, 12:00 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Those fancy shoe arrangements don't half take some getting your head around at replecement time

It probably didn't help that the first time I encountered them was the morning after a particularly well lubricated evening though