Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Graphic Images on Ciggie Packets!

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2008, 07:13 PM
MickeyTake
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Graphic Images on Ciggie Packets!

We all know that smoking is not good for your health, in fact - it kills you early.

I used to smoke, stopped about 9 years ago, due to a health fright .... not sure graphic pictures would have put me off? As I knew it was silly to do it, but still I did! Anyway ....... I don't anymore and feel great for it

So, smokers - will it make you think about stopping?
Old 27 September 2008, 07:31 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I wish something had persuaded my Mother to stop as she was diagnosed with lung, liver, lymph node and spine cancer this week I've been asking her to stop for the best part of thirty years, begging her to stop when I told her I was giving her a grandson last year. The irony was so bitter as I recalled when she announced when she first held him that 'Now I have something to live for', and yet she still couldn't stop smoking

I used to work with a guy who told us that his grandad was told 'Stop smoking or in 6 months we'll have to cut your legs off !' When I asked him whether it made him consider stopping he arrogantly said 'Yeah, when they tell ME they're gonna cut MY legs off, I'll stop'
Old 27 September 2008, 07:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I feel for you, both my parents were forty plus a day addicts who couldn't stop. Until about two weeks before they paid for it with their life.

Sad,

DunxC
Old 27 September 2008, 07:38 PM
MickeyTake
Scooby Regular

So sorry about your mum Corradoboy, it's sad.

I was in hospital 9 years ago for a pre-op appointment ... as I left a bloke was coughing his lungs up on a hospital trolley in the alleyway, blood and everything - it was NOT pleasant ... he caught my eye and said, "I hope you don't smoke?" I assume he died soon after

Did bloody wonders for my resolve to pack in I can tell you!!
Old 27 September 2008, 07:39 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Sadly no it wont make me think about stopping

I have had Cancer twice and yet for some bizarre reason I still smoke (although my Cancer wasnt smoking related)

My Dad is currently in Hospital with Bowel Cancer, and is having an absolute nightmare of it, the Chemo & Radiotherapy he sailed through, the operation has gone from being a 7 day turnaround, to him still being in 4 weeks later, still no sign of him coming home, and had 4 major operations (largely down to the inadeqecies of the NHS and Surgeons)

He smoked for many many years, and quit 3 years ago whilst having a very bad chest infection, it was this chest infection that ultimately made him give up

I have thoought about quitting in the past, but for some strange reason can never get round to attempting to
Old 27 September 2008, 07:40 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

I gave up 15 months ago after 29 years of smoking.

I gave up because I really, really wanted to. Nothing will stop you unless you really want to stop.

When I was in my early 20's my grandmother (who smoked) got emphysema.
Watching her slowly kill herself did not make me stop.
You give up when you are ready.

My step daughter is 16 and smoking. I have advised her not to smoke, but she still does.
Old 27 September 2008, 07:55 PM
MickeyTake
Scooby Regular

I agree that you have got to want to stop to make it through.

It's so sad seeing people smoking these days with all the information about what it does to you. I smoked for about 30 years ..... I know not what damage it has done or whether I stopped in time to be as if I had never smoked. I think they say 10 years to be clear of it - but I'm not so sure?

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2008, 07:56 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

live fast die young man
Old 27 September 2008, 07:57 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Graphic images as you suggest, don't affect me, I was brought up in a medical household, then went to uni to study medical electronics, parts of that were spent in hospitals seeing how kit was deployed and used for.

However, with 3 cases of cancer in 2 generations in my family (all non smoking related) I do wonder why the hell I smoke. Only 1 of the 3 are still alive today.

I know I have to quit, and it my goal to do so by the end of the year, as in 2010 I am going to the Eurpean field archery champs, and their being held in Stuchfielden in Austria 2500 feet above sea level, with the courses higher than that. Yomping up and down what, during the winter are ski runs, I'd like to be able to breath!
Old 27 September 2008, 07:59 PM
MickeyTake
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RyanSTI
live fast die young man
Yeah, that's ok when you are 15 years old .......... you will think different when you are older.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:02 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

thats the whole point, why live for the future instead of the present.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:03 PM
MickeyTake
Scooby Regular

You carry on ...........................
Old 27 September 2008, 08:10 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickeyTake
You carry on ...........................
When you are young you feel invincible.

I did.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

To try and ensure you HAVE a future No-one knows what's around the next corner, but you don't choose to have your car brakes fail, you don't choose to have the plane you're on crash, you don't choose to fall off a cliff, so why choose to expose yourself to such a proven risk through weakness or arrogance ?
Old 27 September 2008, 08:12 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C

I know I have to quit, and it my goal to do so by the end of the year, as in 2010 I am going to the Eurpean field archery champs, and their being held in Stuchfielden in Austria 2500 feet above sea level, with the courses higher than that. Yomping up and down what, during the winter are ski runs, I'd like to be able to breath!
This site Quitting Experiences - No Smoking Day Stop Smoking Forum helped me a lot when i was quitting.
Fellow sufferers if you like!
Old 27 September 2008, 08:13 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

god are we all depressed or somthing, it was an off the cuff comment.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:29 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

god are we all depressed or somthing, it was an off the cuff comment.

No we're just grumpy ex smokers
Old 27 September 2008, 08:31 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 27 September 2008, 08:34 PM
zip929
Scooby Regular

If they could bring out a safe cig i would be back puffin tomorrow.

Don't know why but I still feel like i miss the fcukin things.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Ban all smoking - end of
Old 29 September 2008, 01:10 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I think I must be the sole (or at least less than a handful of members) person on this site that has never even tried a cigarette/cigar/pipe or anything tobacco related. Remeber when I was 12/13, I was tempted, but never enough to actually even try one.

I'm 24 now and still ended up with asthma - why? Brought up in a parent smoking family environment It's one thing I won't forgive my mother for, even though we are very close, and yes, she still smokes.

I guess in all honesty, you makes your choices, mine is not to smoke, same as my significant other. Hopefully in years to come when we have children, they will not smoke either...
Old 29 September 2008, 09:24 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

In Canada they've been putting pictures of tar-filled lungs, mouth cancer etc etc on ciggy packets for years.

This does not stop people smoking.

I had to smoke more to collect the full set as I was only there 10 days...

Old 29 September 2008, 10:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It may not stop those who are already hooked, they will always find a reason to ignore it as I well know.

If I had know what I do know, I would never have started and would not have had to go through the hassle of giving up. Very glad I managed it and the money saved is quite amazing.

You just have to face it, the diseases you eventually are likely to get are just not worth it. It is not a very nice way to die and also you have thrown away what was left of your life.

Les
Old 29 September 2008, 11:34 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Problem is 1 in 3 people will get cancer smokers or not. Also you will die of a stroke/heart attack if it isn't cancer the only difference is they won't blame it on the tabs.

Personally, i don't smoke never have and i don't doubt it is bad for you but so is junk food anyone like a nice burger? So is alcohol, we all know the dangers there, anyone teetotal?

Fact is if you smoke and live in the Swiss Alps your lungs are likely to be in better nick than a non smoking londoner. Everyone going to give up their cars as part of the crusade?

Live for the present isn't a bad thing. Lots of people die early having been as healthy as they can be, i'm sure they enjoyed it but it didn't help them. At the end of the day you might die early (or perhaps it was just your time to go tabs or not) and you might, as a result avoid those years in the nursing home in a nappy. There are tow sides to every coin.

As leslie says i don't think anyone smoking now can claim not to know the risks and as such should be allowed to make their own decision same as people visiting Burger King, the curry house or the pub.

Some good stuff on this here

The Official Website of Joe Jackson

5t.
Old 29 September 2008, 11:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Problem is 1 in 3 people will get cancer smokers or not. Also you will die of a stroke/heart attack if it isn't cancer the only difference is they won't blame it on the tabs.

Personally, i don't smoke never have and i don't doubt it is bad for you but so is junk food anyone like a nice burger? So is alcohol, we all know the dangers there, anyone teetotal?

Fact is if you smoke and live in the Swiss Alps your lungs are likely to be in better nick than a non smoking londoner. Everyone going to give up their cars as part of the crusade?

Live for the present isn't a bad thing. Lots of people die early having been as healthy as they can be, i'm sure they enjoyed it but it didn't help them. At the end of the day you might die early (or perhaps it was just your time to go tabs or not) and you might, as a result avoid those years in the nursing home in a nappy. There are tow sides to every coin.

As leslie says i don't think anyone smoking now can claim not to know the risks and as such should be allowed to make their own decision same as people visiting Burger King, the curry house or the pub.

Some good stuff on this here

The Official Website of Joe Jackson

5t.
All very well "living for the present" but when your time comes at an early age you will always think that the early pleasures were just not worth it and how you wish that you had more time left.

Les
Old 29 September 2008, 11:44 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
All very well "living for the present" but when your time comes at an early age you will always think that the early pleasures were just not worth it and how you wish that you had more time left.

Les
Best live in a bubble then. No beer, organic veg from backgarden only. Walk everywhere etc etc. How much of that do people really do?

5t.
Old 29 September 2008, 01:45 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Everthing gives you cancer. George Jackson...sometime when CD's had only just been invented.
Old 29 September 2008, 02:11 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

My Grandfather died of this 15yrs ago ish ... most unpleasant for him as he basically couldn't breath! He smoked many packs of cigs a day. I've never smoked & as a result fail to understand motives of those that do.

TX.

Originally Posted by zip929
When I was in my early 20's my grandmother (who smoked) got emphysema.
Old 30 September 2008, 12:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Best live in a bubble then. No beer, organic veg from backgarden only. Walk everywhere etc etc. How much of that do people really do?

5t.
You are exaggerating what I meant of course. No reason why you can't enjoy life especially if you choose a recognised risky occupation and take part in similar sports. I certainly did and never regretted it.

No point in starting something like smoking however when the odds are so badly stacked against you for a very unpleasant way to go.

Les
Old 30 September 2008, 01:01 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

No point in starting something like smoking however when the odds are so badly stacked against you for a very unpleasant way to go.

As Allen Carr pointed out in his book:

Many people would say "What's the point in stopping smoking, I could just as easily be run over by a bus"....

The difference is that you tend to look before you cross the road to minimise the chances of this happening, where as continuing smoking is like walking across without looking

Quick Reply: Graphic Images on Ciggie Packets!