Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Don't you hate it when mates let you down

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2008, 04:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Don't you hate it when mates let you down

Sorry, just venting frustration. Situation is it's my Missus (Natalie) brthday tomorrow, and we've have saved every last penny so we could go out tonight as a treat. We've not been out since February for whatever reasons, usually financial.

So we've been really looking forward to it. She's got her friend coming, and I had arranged for 4 mates and my bro to come out. So I've gots me some cheap beers in and was planning a day on the decks to build upto tonight.

No phonecalls about arrangements so I rings around. First two mates are delivering Ice cream for some extra cash. No problem I thought, they haven't called or anything to say they can't make it, which is what you expect of mates. But no, they've arranged to do it today and tomorrow and so won't be coming out. Little pissed at this as a phonecall/text would have been nice, otherwise muggins here would have booked an empty minibus.

So I gives them a piece of my mind and basically call the ***** for not even letting me know something they had plenty of notice on

So then I gets in touch with mate no. 3 to see his plans. He now can't come out as he spent up last night and feels sh*t. No now I'm really hacked off and considering just staying in and letting her go out. I'm still trying to get in touch with mate no. 4 (who's a member on here), but phone is switched off. Can understand as he's had car troubles today, so fair enough, but I'm soooo pissed off right now at my other mates, it's unreal. I feel like a bastid doormat, and have enough sh*t going on (well publicised), and I'm trying to stay out of Nat's way so I don't upset her. It was supposed to be a good night with mutual friends and now has ended up with just 2 lasses going out.

Me and my bor could join them, but my mood may spoil the night and I don't want to upset Natalie, especially when shes worked overtime the last three weeks to help pay debts (still), and put a few ££ away for tonight.

Sorry, again, just venting. What would you do in this situation? I'm asking for sarcy replies I guess on a forum like this
Old 27 September 2008, 04:38 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Sorry, again, just venting. What would you do in this situation? I'm asking for sarcy replies I guess on a forum like this
You mean like the sarcastic replies you put in other threads...

Anyway, just put it down to experience. These things happen to everyone. Don't take it to heart...go out and have a blast!
Old 27 September 2008, 04:40 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I don't see the problem, two blokes two girls.. night out. Have fun.

Seriously, just go out and enjoy yourself. Sometimes I think you like to drag the emotional baggage around <-------- look a SMILIIE

Relax mate - just go and have some fun, you have the people, the money and the beer to warm up with. I genuinely can't see there being a problem.
Old 27 September 2008, 04:43 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

echoed

drink the beer you have in, listen to some tunes, then go out just the 4 of you

dont let them spoil your or more importantly Nat's day

Last edited by CupraDave; 27 September 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 27 September 2008, 04:45 PM
spireite
BANNED

maybe they're tired of hearing you moaning
Old 27 September 2008, 04:57 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

Mate, drink the beers, chill and make your girl happy by going out together and having a good night!!!!! ;-)

It's what you make it.
Old 27 September 2008, 04:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spireite
maybe they're tired of hearing you moaning
3 of them I have only just been back in touch with, so don't know my full situation

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2008, 05:06 PM
bloodhound
Scooby Newbie

I've gots

I rings

I gives

I gets
Get some grammar, get a job, get some money. Then, and only then, might your 'mates' want to associate themselves with you again.
Old 27 September 2008, 05:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sounds like the ice cream was an "earner" so you must understand that.

No notice, bah ! the youth of today, little in the way of manners....

So have drink, cheer up and go, or chill to some dark-side toons ?

DunxC
Old 27 September 2008, 05:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bloodhound
Get some grammar, get a job, get some money. Then, and only then, might your 'mates' want to associate themselves with you again.
I trolls

See you soon xx
Old 27 September 2008, 06:23 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I trolls

See you soon xx
It was a funny post though...

It happens to me from time to time, Mr Chocolate. I am incredibly popular, financially viable, good looking and an excellent host. I often arrange nights out such as the one you mention above, but on occasion I am let down by people...
Karma is where it is at my forum friend The next time these "mates" are organising something, say you will go, let them count on you (pay your deposit for you - whatever), then at the last minute tell them there is a documentary on Discovery + 4 about carpet weaving (not munching they will want to come round and watch it with you ) and that you wont be able to make it... Or something like that, you get my drift

Soon you wont be mates anymore, just passing acquaintances in the local boozer and your ex mates will sit there, miserable, with holes in their souls, recounting stories of when you were all out together having fun together. They will come over to you weeping, begging for you take them under your wing and bosom again. You pretend to ponder, the music gets louder and louder as you caress your chin, then, then you hold aloft your arms and embrace them as they promise never to let you down again. Amongst the tears and yelping, you hear the rest of the customers in the pub cheer, and you look to see them hold aloft their glasses. The landlord shouts "next round on the house"!! You all order 4 babychams each, and sit together planning a night out to make up for the ones you have missed... You go home glowing, beaming from ear to ear.
Then the night comes. You have been waiting for, all four of you together on the town. You wait in the bar where you arranged to meet and on your third babycham, you send the same text to all 3 friends... All at once, the replied flood in - They were all out the night before, spent all their money and are too skint and tired to come out...
Oh bollox
Old 27 September 2008, 07:01 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Sorry, just venting frustration. Situation is it's my Missus (Natalie) brthday tomorrow, and we've have saved every last penny so we could go out tonight as a treat. We've not been out since February for whatever reasons, usually financial.

So we've been really looking forward to it. She's got her friend coming, and I had arranged for 4 mates and my bro to come out. So I've gots me some cheap beers in and was planning a day on the decks to build upto tonight.

No phonecalls about arrangements so I rings around. First two mates are delivering Ice cream for some extra cash. No problem I thought, they haven't called or anything to say they can't make it, which is what you expect of mates. But no, they've arranged to do it today and tomorrow and so won't be coming out. Little pissed at this as a phonecall/text would have been nice, otherwise muggins here would have booked an empty minibus.

So I gives them a piece of my mind and basically call the ***** for not even letting me know something they had plenty of notice on

So then I gets in touch with mate no. 3 to see his plans. He now can't come out as he spent up last night and feels sh*t. No now I'm really hacked off and considering just staying in and letting her go out. I'm still trying to get in touch with mate no. 4 (who's a member on here), but phone is switched off. Can understand as he's had car troubles today, so fair enough, but I'm soooo pissed off right now at my other mates, it's unreal. I feel like a bastid doormat, and have enough sh*t going on (well publicised), and I'm trying to stay out of Nat's way so I don't upset her. It was supposed to be a good night with mutual friends and now has ended up with just 2 lasses going out.

Me and my bor could join them, but my mood may spoil the night and I don't want to upset Natalie, especially when shes worked overtime the last three weeks to help pay debts (still), and put a few ££ away for tonight.

Know what you mean fella.

Mates are supposed to be the ones you can trust, no matter how small and insignificant the situation is. They're always the first ones to complain if you do wrong.

I had a large falling out with some of mine ages ago, over something fairly serious...needless to say they couldn't face me to tell me. Better off without them. You can always get new friends, although maybe that's a bit harsh in your situation.
Old 27 September 2008, 07:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Cob, just get the hell out and have a damn good night with the ones who can make it after all witht he crap thats been going on recently why shouldn't you and the missus have a good night.

As far as your mates letting you down it does happen and not all people hold the passage of information as high as you may, people ar elike that buy hey life is too short, maybe next time they will be able to come out.

Go and have fun!!!
Old 27 September 2008, 07:07 PM
M535I
Scooby Regular

took me afew years to relise this mate and if they are like that f#uk em , how do you think i feel me so called mate was going to see my dad who is termanily illl and rather that see him he f#cked off back to dubai where he lives but managed to go out for the day to castle combe ive only known the guy 15 years !!! he can rot mate . go out and have fun !!!
Old 27 September 2008, 07:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We were in the same situation a few months back when 6 couples were supposed to be going for a curry. We turned up to share a taxi with one of the couples who informed us that no-one else was coming, even her hubby as their babysitter had blobbed. She was going to come along with us two (I wish she had as she's hot and looked very good that night ) but the missuse was fuming and sent her packing as we went for a curry together alone.

I usually let people let me down once and then stop making any effort in the friendship to see what happens. More often than not once I remove my effort the friendship fades into memory, proving they were never really a friend after all. Over the years I've done this so much I now only have 2 people I call true friends. One lives in France now, which makes nights out rather difficult. The other sleeps alongside me, but is a wimmin after all, so for some of the month we aren't friends (actually, about 3/4 of it ). I have a lot of people I refer to as mates, lots on here, but unless I arrange for them to be in my life they are never around so are they really friends ?
Old 27 September 2008, 11:23 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sod off ! You are always working, in one job or the other....

Only joking CB.

I have found the same problem, but more a case of partners and kids getting involved than a lack of "true grit". "KojaK" was coming to the Trackrod today, but cried off as he had to baby-sit the daughter, missus was working.

All my pals back in Hull rarely bother to get in touch, we all moved on from the beer in the garage stage, to working weird hours, wenching, then wrenching, then gone.

Still see the hardcore at Squires once a month, so no harm done, just no chance for a quick natter and a coffee any more.

Take care and good luck.

DunxC
Old 27 September 2008, 11:31 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bloodhound
Troll!

Noob, making a new account just to troll!!
Old 28 September 2008, 11:29 AM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Did you have a good night out in the end and make the most of it?
Old 28 September 2008, 12:17 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

for the last two years i given my mates free nights at the hotel including bnb and meals, over new year/ newyears eve (about 25 of them including there kids) this year iv said we will all rent a log cabin in the lakes so we can have the night off ,they are dropping out like flys

Last edited by paulwrxboro; 28 September 2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 28 September 2008, 12:50 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Andy, stop being a tart

Sorry I didn't make it mate, started to dismantle the car trying to find a the fault and just lost all track of time - I could have sworn it didn't take that long!! If it makes you feel any better I've had no sleep (been in the garage all nigth), got no skin left on any of my knuckles and still have 2 cars that don't work

Really sorry I let you and Nat down fella I'll make it up to you next time
Old 28 September 2008, 03:55 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
for the last two years i given my mates free nights at the hotel including bnb and meals, over new year/ newyears eve (about 25 of them including there kids) this year iv said we will all rent a log cabin in the lakes so we can have the night off ,they are dropping out like flys

Maybe because they all have such a great time at yours

Seriously, it's not worth getting bothered about. Most good mates have a good reason, and it's always best to give the benefit of the doubt.
Most of us have been guilty of "forgetting" at some stage. If I don't write something down, I am the worst offender
Old 28 September 2008, 04:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can understand how you feel Chocolate, it is disappointing when those you think are good mates let you down. In many ways it seems a bit selfish to me.

I am lucky to have always had good reliable mates and the last thing we would do is to let each other down unless it was totally unavoidable.

Hope you can make it up later some time.

Les
Old 28 September 2008, 04:37 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilogikal1
Andy, stop being a tart

Sorry I didn't make it mate, started to dismantle the car trying to find a the fault and just lost all track of time - I could have sworn it didn't take that long!! If it makes you feel any better I've had no sleep (been in the garage all nigth), got no skin left on any of my knuckles and still have 2 cars that don't work

Really sorry I let you and Nat down fella I'll make it up to you next time
Thought it would be you
Old 28 September 2008, 04:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Wow, support (apart from the troll).

Yeah, after reading the first couple of posts, I rang my brother up. Quick kebab as tea, and got "ye olde turntables going".

So Nat, her mate, my brother and me went into town. Wasn't long before we bumped into old mates, even a couple of relatives. Split up and did out own thing. Got in at 4.30 this morning. Nat's had a good birthday and even got £100 from various relatives on her side

Bit of a hangover, but I forgot I knew so many people.

Appreciate the advice guys, next personal matter won't be a la "Snazy" on here
Old 28 September 2008, 05:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My take on it is this: sometimes your mates let you down, sometimes you let them down but if you're all good enough mates, it doesn't matter in the long run. And you had a good night anyway so get over it
Old 28 September 2008, 05:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
My take on it is this: sometimes your mates let you down, sometimes you let them down but if you're all good enough mates, it doesn't matter in the long run. And you had a good night anyway so get over it
Fair point

One thing the people who know me will agree on is that I am one of the most loyal people you will ever meet. I rarely let people down, and thus kind of expect vice versa.

With the two phantom ice cream deliverers, it was the lack of communication and not the money thing that annoyed me. The circumstance where they clearly knew but decided to make me find out myself by asking questions, especially when they live 5 mins walk away

Anywho, as said was a good night, but... could have been better with more blokey mates to laugh with.
Old 28 September 2008, 05:15 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

sometimes the best nights are those that have not been planned
Old 28 September 2008, 05:20 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

mate i went out last night for a friends bday , 3 of my ex birds in the same group is very awkward lol . all invited and all turned up in different groups to join us later on . **** it was hard specially as my partner of 3 years now was there aswell

crazy times .

friends always flake out mate , happens to me all the time

Quick Reply: Don't you hate it when mates let you down