Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paypal Question

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2008, 10:07 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paypal Question

Once money appears in your paypal account is it 100% yours and can't be recalled/taken back, etc? An ebay user bought a fairly high value electronic device from me and had zero feedback and an Irish address but he has paid and I have logged into paypal which confirms that the money is in my account.

Am I now safe to send the item to him or is there any way it can still be a scam?

I realize this might be overly paranoid but I've been selling a lot on ebay of late and other scam attempts have been made so I'm being very guarded.
Old 24 September 2008, 10:14 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

If you're really worried about it why don't you email the buyer your concerns and say you'll only post the goods once the money is out of the Paypal account and cleared into you bank account. Should only take a few days.

If they're legit then they shouldn't be too upset about it.
Old 24 September 2008, 10:18 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

The payment can easily be reversed if he then claims not to have recieved it, or the old favorite "not as described"

As as CD says, until you have the money or have spent the money from Paypal.... it can still be a scam.

I sold some trainers a while back, and 5 days later after sending them and them being delivered the payment was reversed.
Turned out PP had decided it was fraudulant and reversed the payment. With NO interaction with the actual buyer.... Go figure.
Old 24 September 2008, 11:07 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cool, I will proceed with extreme caution and will remove all money from my paypal account prior to sending the item, which will be sent recorded delivery so I know he gets it and have proof of that.
Old 24 September 2008, 11:14 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

They can still initiate a chargeback and PP always sides with the buyer, even when they have admitted to receiving the goods and emailing that they work as described as I have found out to my cost.

PP are utter cnts and will just charge your CC for the sum in dispute if you have insufficient funds deposited to cover it.
Old 24 September 2008, 11:18 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Are you saying even if I remove all money from my paypal account, send the good and can prove that he received them paypal could STILL get the money back off me?

I'm starting to think it's in my best interests to pay the guy his money back and walk away from the deal. I realize everyone has to start some where but I'm not happy about an electronic good being purchased by someone with zero feedback.
Old 24 September 2008, 11:42 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

If you move the money from paypal into your bank account, if the transaction is later reversed (stolen credit card, the old not received/not as described scam or paypal just randomly reversing it because they think it "might be suspicious") the you are left with a negative paypal balance. Failure to pay it off results in CCJ`s and court action.
Paypal is a complete no-win situation for sellers. they ALWAYS side with the buyer in pretty much every case, no matter the circumstances.

EDIT - Im not sure, but I believe that if you end up with a negative balance and still have your bank details on file with them on your paypal account, they will just take the money back from your bank account.
Old 24 September 2008, 11:56 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

What a complete joke. Sod this, I'm refusing to deal with ANYONE on ebay that doesn't have very strong feedback for both buying and selling. Too many scammers.
Old 24 September 2008, 01:23 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Ebay now insist that you list PP as a means of payment, which is a pain in the ****. They tried this is Australia and were stopped by the government.

I sold a BMW nav screen, 100% fully functional. Buyer initially said it worked fine, but a week or so later decided it didn't work so claimed with PP and they took the money off me. He then returned a unit to me with a different serial and all I could get out of PP was automated replies and emails from employees who obviously couldn't be arsed reading the complaint...
Old 24 September 2008, 01:34 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Paypal is a complete no-win situation for sellers. they ALWAYS side with the buyer in pretty much every case, no matter the circumstances.
This is not true. I paid a deposit for a car which turned out to be a sht, so I didn't complete the transaction. Paypal refused to refund my money. I had no car and no money returned - go figure?

I tend to agree that USUALLY Paypal side with the buyer though. My advice is to take the money from your Paypal account and send everything recorded delivery - no matter what! It makes it much harder for Paypal to get the money back from you and they may just walk away from it all.