Bad time for Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2008, 09:40 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad time for Cyclists

Seems like another cyclist has gone under a lorry turning left. That will be 3 this month alone in London.

One report I've heard is that the victim this time was in two parts... very worrying, utterly tragic and a reminder to all people on two wheels to be VERY careful.

Please folks, no cutting down the inside of traffic... it just isn't worth it.
Old 24 September 2008, 10:17 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yup...never go up the inside of any large vehicles

It's cycling suicide and I've mentioned this to a few cyclists, on the Bridges (busy stretch of city road in Edinburgh, esp busy with queues of buses) and suggested that it's a sure way to die..........they seem to more interested in looking cool and dodging through trafic, saving themselves a few seconds...

Sad to hear about another death, but I guess (without knowing the full story) that it's another one that could have easily been avoided if the guy had followed the above simple rule
Old 24 September 2008, 10:22 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sad news. Seems to happen far too much. You would think it would echo the message of be careful to others, but I am sure as we speak, they are crossing junctions against red lights and oncoming traffic, speeding across crossings as pedestrians cross, "slipstreaming" buses, and taking all sorts of rediculous chances, and 90% of them without wearing helmets, using lights etc.

Cycling could be a great form of transport. But what makes me laugh is the number that complain they are in danger on the roads....... YES.... you are, because of your own stupidity before that of others (not in all cases of course)

Of course, thoughts go out to the family of the deceased and to the driver also who has this terrible accident to deal with too.
Old 24 September 2008, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I very nearly had that happen to me when I was a lad, in my case the lorry overtook me and turned left. It was a moment of pure horror of course.

I learned that it was really stupid not to obey the normal rules of the road, including lights and one way streets, and not only that, if you disobeyed the rules, you would find a copper booking you for an interview in court!

I feel sorry for the victim naturally.

Les
Old 24 September 2008, 11:34 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

On the other hand... some stupid woman nearly wiped me out yesterday by trying to overtake me, deciding she couldn’t because of oncoming traffic, then rather than dropding back just pulled in on me anyway. This despite being daylight and me sporting a 200 lumen Fenix flashing strobe light and Blackburn Mars 3.0 super bright flashing rear LED light.

What does it f*cking take for these morons to be aware of the danger they place cyclists in without a care in the world? Naturally, when I had the temerity to remonstrate all I got in response was the finger – no attempt at apology – that was when the b*tch really got a big and extended mouthful through her open window. Hopefully (but unlikely) she might think twice before deliberately carving up cyclists in future.
Old 24 September 2008, 12:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I nearly got squished a couple of years ago by an overtaking artic, he pulled the cab in after passing me and only a quick jump on to the path prevented me being flattened under the back wheels.
Old 24 September 2008, 12:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thats simply not acceptable, is it? You must never overtake a cyclist as you approach a left hand turn.
Old 24 September 2008, 12:46 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I nearly got squished a couple of years ago by an overtaking artic, he pulled the cab in after passing me and only a quick jump on to the path prevented me being flattened under the back wheels.
recently had a bus do that 3 times on the same journey. normally give them some leway as the roads are very narroow, but this guy was homicidal. Fortunaltely his employers took it seriously and he no longer drives buses.
Old 24 September 2008, 04:44 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

when turning left there is a massive blind spot on lorries, take my word for it, simply dont undertake when a lorry is turning its suicide! and I echo what Simon has said.

James.
Old 24 September 2008, 04:45 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwhittle
Fortunaltely his employers took it seriously and he no longer drives buses.
I seriously doubt that!
Old 24 September 2008, 07:40 PM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

was following a hgv vehicle today in my driving lesson. Approached a round- about the lorry was indicating right in the left hand land went round with the right indicator on then he suddenly turned left .. pisses me off
Old 24 September 2008, 09:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the bloody things, My stetch on an A road involves being overtaken by them, most drivers are ok and pass wide and slow, realising that the trailer moves independantly of the cab but I am sure some sit their cringing as they drive past wondering if they have squashed me. One the other day was very safe as he went past,he was stopped delivering office furniture so I went and said thanks.

It scares the **** out of me cycling which is probably a good thing, its intense, you cant let your concentration lapse, its more mentally wearing than physically.

Some car drivers are completely beyond hope like the daft bint that hammers down the single track road I use in a Punto, every morning, she looks surprised and appalled to see me, ***** her pants and takes evasive action, I am ready for her, slowed down and pulling in whilst she does 35/40 on a road with blind bends and nowhere to go, I am going to stop her one morning and ask her what her hurry is and suggest that I may be safe to plough into but watch out for the Bin wagon as she will come off worse.

Also, have you noticed how tractors are too slow when in a car but bloody rapid when on a bike, at the moment they all seem to be sporting all manner of lethal looking contraptions on the front, I think a lot of farmers should leave the livestock to do the driving as they cant.

My copy of Cyclecraft arrived today.
Old 24 September 2008, 09:58 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_69er
was following a hgv vehicle today in my driving lesson. Approached a round- about the lorry was indicating right in the left hand land went round with the right indicator on then he suddenly turned left .. pisses me off

might of been a tight turn on the roundabout so needed to swing around ,i always hang back on a hgv when coming upto lights roundabouts or junctions as you never know
Old 24 September 2008, 10:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got caught by one in my car, an old bloke stalled his car so I helped him get it going as it was stopping me, matey in the truck behind me couldnt bear to wait even watching what was happening, I help this mad old duffer in a Metro, get back in, truck had moved to right hand lane, I moved off and the **** turns left fromt he right lane pulling his fuel tank across the corner of my car, no amount of blowing my horn made it stop, just the resistance he felt stopped him so squishing a cyclist would not even be noticed.

I got paid out, the transport manager at the company was really off with me, until I pitched up in person and refused to leave until I got sorted

Quarry Wagons are my next least favourite.
Old 24 September 2008, 10:32 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

YouTube - News story - cyclist killed in Holborn - 24-09-08