Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

18 days to train for a half marthon help me please

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2008, 04:11 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 days to train for a half marthon help me please

I agreeded to run a half marthon for charity ages ago and guess what its come round a lot sooner than i thought. I haven't dont much training at all had some family problems ( my dad dying ) and also a lot of work problems.

I paid £50 to enter the run and i would like to do it as it would be my first half marthon.

I am 24 years old and have been doing a bit of training with my girlfriend a few 2 mile runs.

I was planning to go out and run tomorrow on my own and just see how far i get. I thought if i could run and walk 6 miles i might have a chance of doing it and if i cant i would just give up.

Even it i walk some of it lease i am raising money for the charity.

What are your views should i try it or just give up.

any tips would be good.
Old 23 September 2008, 04:14 PM
yoza
BANNED

Sack it, and get your £50 back.
Old 23 September 2008, 04:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't - you'll hurt yourself. You need a good 8 to 12 weeks to train for a half marathon.

Seriously - Don't do it.
Old 23 September 2008, 04:20 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

How tired do you feel after 2 miles? It is quite a big step to go from 2 to say 5 miles.
Old 23 September 2008, 04:49 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

I would tend to agree with the advice above and sack it. If you could run 7-8 miles, then yes you could grizz the last 4 - 5 miles...

18 days isnt enough time to train your body to run a half.

I have just spent the last 16 weeks training for the Abingdon marathon and I was pretty fit before.

You could check with the race organisers and see what the cut off time is. Maybe you could run a mile, walk a mile if you have enough time.
Old 23 September 2008, 04:54 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I can and have walked over 13 miles before now so I guess anyone with a reasonable level of fitness should be able to do the same.

Not sure how well it would go down with the organisers though if you walked the entire course. Does it have to be completed within a certain time to qualify?
Old 23 September 2008, 05:03 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

I have just spoke to them and there is no cut of time you can take up to about 4 to 4.5 hours.

what do you think should i try
Old 23 September 2008, 05:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Procure yourself a huge suit of some type, Ostrich, Horse, Diving suit and pretend you are doing it for charity (actually if you have time to raise some sponsorship), you will get loads of support and can be as slow as you want.
Old 23 September 2008, 05:36 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vallumlj
I have just spoke to them and there is no cut of time you can take up to about 4 to 4.5 hours.

what do you think should i try
Still .. you're very likely to cause yourself injury.

I do a bit of running and a lot of gym work and if I push myself for that extra mile, from say 4 - 5 mile I feel it the next day and I would say my level of fitness is well above average.

Fitness will help, but you really need to give your body to chance to get used to the long periods of required energy ..

I would just forget it.. even if you lose the money, your health is worth it.
Old 23 September 2008, 05:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I see you not being able to walk for a few days days in the run up to training for this in such short notice
Old 23 September 2008, 05:58 PM
yoza
BANNED

I entered a marathon once.....got peanuts stuck under my foreskin, it was horrendous.
Old 23 September 2008, 06:43 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
I entered a marathon once.....got peanuts stuck under my foreskin, it was horrendous.
bet that was years ago
Old 23 September 2008, 06:46 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if the run is in 18 days then you dont have that to train. I reckon whilst its for charity you attempt it. If you try a few 8 mile runs beforehand then you can alternate as though you are doing hit, run 2 miles, walk one, work at 3 miles every 25 /30 mins 6 miles an hour not too bad

good luck in what you do decide though
Old 23 September 2008, 07:31 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

just do it mate, as long as your not obese with heart problems the just give it a go!

it wont kill you, you might be stiff for a couple of days but I'm sure it would be worth it,

I have done 3 half marathons in the past and I'm not fit at all, I was a bit younger then though

mate, honestly- you could walk it in 4 hours, just get it done
Old 24 September 2008, 08:59 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
if the run is in 18 days then you dont have that to train. I reckon whilst its for charity you attempt it. If you try a few 8 mile runs beforehand then you can alternate as though you are doing hit, run 2 miles, walk one, work at 3 miles every 25 /30 mins 6 miles an hour not too bad

good luck in what you do decide though
Go from 2 mile runs to 8 mile runs? Ouch.

I'm running the Liverpool 10k in a couple of weeks and I've been doing at least 1 10k and then another ~7ish km off-road run a week (plus cycling as well).
Old 24 September 2008, 09:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

youll walk it
Old 24 September 2008, 10:02 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I'm running the Liverpool 10k in a couple of weeks and I've been doing at least 1 10k and then another ~7ish km off-road run a week (plus cycling as well).
10K or 10 miles?

Besides, thats in Liverpool so you will find you have to run no matter what
Old 24 September 2008, 10:18 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

If you really wanna do it you have to change your life style NOW! No Drinking(not even one) or Smoking it stops now! cut out fatty foods and start eating VERY healty (inc shed loads of pasta and lean chicking) i hope you've been for a run alraedy start with 4 mile's jogging if you can't do it spend the next week training to do it ie everyday by the end of the week ie day 6 take a day off to rest really should be 2/3 days but you dont have time then do 6 miles a day up in till 2/3 day before... then do nothing.........

BIG TIP as soon as you get back from your run in the shower and run cold water not warm or anything just pure cold on the front and back of your legs will help..........

you should be out on your run now why have you not gone?
Old 24 September 2008, 10:20 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

oh yer and make sure you've got 2 days off after!
Old 24 September 2008, 10:24 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

Also go buy some new trainers and get them fitted by a PRO! NOT JB'S or JJB etc propper running shop! plus they'll give you some help!
Old 24 September 2008, 10:26 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by taffyboyo
just do it mate, as long as your not obese with heart problems the just give it a go!

it wont kill you, you might be stiff for a couple of days but I'm sure it would be worth it,

I have done 3 half marathons in the past and I'm not fit at all, I was a bit younger then though

mate, honestly- you could walk it in 4 hours, just get it done

This is the best advice on here.

I'm ex forces and was once extremely fit. I've done the London Marathon twice. Compared to a full Marathon the 13 mile is a breeze. You're obviously reasonably fit if you regularly run two miles.

Its not a race, so take your time find a pace your comfortable with and stick with it. You'll probably hit "The wall" at around 7-8 miles get through that and find your second wind and you'll finish no problem.

The most important thing is don't try and keep up with anyone. As said find pace your happy with and you'll be fine.

Hope that helps

Daz
Old 24 September 2008, 10:33 AM
scoobybubbles
Scooby Regular

I did the race for life on sunday the 1st of june this year! I had done very little training for this and never thought in a million years i would be able to run any of it at all, (i think i must have run around furtzon lake about 5 times in all, each time thinking i was gonna die!!! I was 33 at the time, and in my opinion over weight, very unfit, and smoked to much and drank to much!!!

On the fri night i had a bit of a party drank far more than i should have (enought o get up on a table and do some dancing!) and smoked about 20 ciggies that night!
the following day i decided that as i was running for a such a great cause and for cancer i shouldnt run being a smoker! so on the sat i gave up, and on the sunday i ran my *** off the whole 5k i thought id end up walking as this was permitted, but i didnt i ran and ran , and at the end up a steep hill!!!

I was so proud of mysel, i dont know what got me round the course , but the adrenerlin you feel when you are doing something like this is, is truely amazing!!!
Now if i could do it, anyone can do it!!!

have you seen the film run fat boy run? if not go get it out today , watch it, then you will go do your marathon!!! I have all my faith in you!!!

now go run ur *** off!!!

tracy x
Old 24 September 2008, 10:34 AM
scoobybubbles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisGrant
Also go buy some new trainers and get them fitted by a PRO! NOT JB'S or JJB etc propper running shop! plus they'll give you some help!
I got my new balance trainers from JJB they were amazing , and havent left my feet since june!!

well i do take them off sometimes!!!! lol
Old 24 September 2008, 10:35 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

when i was in army i ran both half marathons the hold in berlin, i was fit but not long sidtance running fit did about 4 - 6 miles a day and didnt have any problems with them. i even ran one still drunk as i didnt get in 4 am and we set off for the start line at 6 the water stations where very handy then
Old 24 September 2008, 10:49 AM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

JUST DO IT!
Old 24 September 2008, 11:02 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ChrisGrant
i hope you've been for a run alraedy start with 4 mile's jogging if you can't do it spend the next week training to do it ie everyday by the end of the week ie day 6 take a day off to rest really should be 2/3 days but you dont have time then do 6 miles a day up in till 2/3 day before... then do nothing.........
Sorry but you're talking crap. The body needs time to recover from exercise, not working the same muscle groups everyday which will lead to muscle sprains. If he's training on concrete then he's also likely to suffer blisters and shin splints if he runs at this rate every day.

Your point about getting the shoes fitted in a proper running shop is spot on though

ChrisB - thought you were on your jollies you old dog! Phisio is going well and I can now walk properly but I can't jog yet. It looks like they will take the screws out of my shin in the new year
Old 24 September 2008, 12:06 PM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Sorry but you're talking crap. The body needs time to recover from exercise, not working the same muscle groups everyday which will lead to muscle sprains. If he's training on concrete then he's also likely to suffer blisters and shin splints if he runs at this rate every day.

Your point about getting the shoes fitted in a proper running shop is spot on though

ChrisB - thought you were on your jollies you old dog! Phisio is going well and I can now walk properly but I can't jog yet. It looks like they will take the screws out of my shin in the new year
I see but he's not trying to build up mass! he's trying to increase stamina! a little different!

Six Building Blocks of Distance Running Training section - Time-to-Run - runner's training information

i belive thats what i said!
Old 24 September 2008, 12:11 PM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

Maybe helping with my spelling and grammar might be more construtive!
Old 24 September 2008, 12:51 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
10K or 10 miles?

Besides, thats in Liverpool so you will find you have to run no matter what
10Km. Good point, could well be a PB

Got back on Saturday SJ. Used the lifts in the valley to save slogging up the hills. Got up to around 2300 metres a couple of times - made the Brecon Beacons feel like mole hills!

Quick Reply: 18 days to train for a half marthon help me please