Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tax Bill

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2008, 11:59 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tax Bill

Got two letters from the Revenue recently, asking me to make sure I pay the right amount of tax, "not too much nor too little". Thought I'd better check my coding notice and make sure all is well as I hadn't done for a few years because I only had private healthcare, but now I have a company car.

Turns out it's wrong as they had my car (on their system as an Audi A3 1.9TDI Sportback) as a petrol instead of diesel, so 3% adrift on the listprice.

When I checked my healthcare, they've been using a code from the 02/03 tax year which is now some 5 tax years out of date!!

When I rung them, they said it was my responsibility to inform them of any chance to my tax circumstances, NOT MY EMPLOYER. So despite being told the correct figure to be used for the healthcare twice a year for the last five years or so, they've not acted on it.

On that basis, why do Employers submit P46's and P11D's each year if the Revenue say it's the responsbility of the individual?

Gutted - I've now got a £700 tax bill on the way for underpayment
Old 08 September 2008, 12:17 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't start me off on the foofin tax people.
They are, without doubt, the bottom of the heap

I've been fighting against their inability to understand that 'I AM NOT A UK RESIDENT' for six years.
All the relevant paperwork was completed before I ever left the country. Doesn't make one jot of a difference to our 'brilliant' tax people who have hounded me, and my elderly parents in the UK, despite numerous letters/phone calls and my company employing a respected tax consultancy to provide evidence of all previous communications and my non-residence status.
They are simply THICK.
They even post, to my address in Japan, tax returns that clearly state in the guidance notes 'Do not use this return if you are not a UK resident'

Last edited by coolangatta; 08 September 2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08 September 2008, 01:41 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes it is better to stay quiet and see if it catches you up.