Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anyone ever worked as a Baliff or Car salesman?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2008, 09:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever worked as a Baliff or Car salesman?

As above really. After a non to confidence inducing appeal at my employers Wednesday just gone, I have scoured the job section in the free paper we get here in Scunny. I've seen the 2 above jobs and I'm thinking of applying.

Has anyone any experience of working in the 2 roles? I can understand fully they would be challenging roles for different but obvious reasons, but as I have mentioned on other job related threads I've started, I haven't a problem with starting and working my way up.

The Baliff one is actually working for 'Her Majesty's Court Service' for the S****horpe Court Centre, which I would have thought may lead to other roles, or promotion if I worked at it? Is salaried between £14,000-£18,000, which at the moment is better than a kick in the bollocks

The car salesman job is working for a local car dealership, none specific to brand, 'Stoneacre'. As per most salesman ad's, the Salary is performanced based with a figure of upto and over £40,000. I dunno, it intrigues me

So any experiences etc to offer. Looking at emailing/phoning for application forms to see where it gets me...
Old 05 September 2008, 09:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Car salesman is and always will be primarily commission based

OTE earnings are wonderful if you hit target, but given todays automotive climate!!!

only a few are actually doing well

The bailiff on the other hand, should be ok, you wont be popular, but if you can live with that, then go for it.

why did your employer say no?

Dont take this the wrong way, but what would have happened if it had been a tribunal?

mart
Old 05 September 2008, 10:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Car salesman is and always will be primarily commission based

OTE earnings are wonderful if you hit target, but given todays automotive climate!!!

only a few are actually doing well

The bailiff on the other hand, should be ok, you wont be popular, but if you can live with that, then go for it.

why did your employer say no?

Dont take this the wrong way, but what would have happened if it had been a tribunal?

mart
You've lost me re. tribunal. Wednesday was my appeal hearing with regards to my dismissal on August 5th. I said it wasn't looking good, as i was hoping they may find me alternative employment within the company, but they seem adament they haven't got anything. So it looks like I will be evaluating it with my Solicitor to see if I have grounds for a tribunal. If not, I get over it, find another job working in a gutter and await the personal injury claim to process over the next 3 years.

Back on topic...
Old 05 September 2008, 10:07 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Andy, Get your CV registered on as many Recruitment agency books as you can the phone calls will come.

Car Sales, Well my only experience was a mate of a mate working for a jaguar dealership, paid a poor basic salary around £600 a month at the time(a few years ago) But good sales commission, First month great BIG bonus, Second month higher targets not so big bonus, 3rd month getting worse and targets going up, he was selling i think 25 cars a month, Six months down the line targets impossible and was disciplined for not reaching them.

Simpsons !
Old 05 September 2008, 10:16 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Being a car salesman is not the one, its a very hard trade at the moment as many people have too much finance outstanding to change their car. Being a Baliff will guarantee you work for years to come but you need to be thick skinned , think fast on your feet and good under pressure. On the plus side the experience of beng a baliff would teach you some good skills applicable for the rest of your life. I would go for that option assuming the job comes with the right training.
Old 05 September 2008, 10:19 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

again not personal experience but from a few friends, do not go into car sales at the mo, the business just isn't there. Alot of sales guys have been let go the car lots around belfast at the mo due to no money going around at all!
Old 05 September 2008, 10:34 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Chocs, no offence meant, but you are not the type to be a Bailiff.

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2008, 10:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simpsons !
Andy, Get your CV registered on as many Recruitment agency books as you can the phone calls will come.

Car Sales, Well my only experience was a mate of a mate working for a jaguar dealership, paid a poor basic salary around £600 a month at the time(a few years ago) But good sales commission, First month great BIG bonus, Second month higher targets not so big bonus, 3rd month getting worse and targets going up, he was selling i think 25 cars a month, Six months down the line targets impossible and was disciplined for not reaching them.

Simpsons !
I dunno why, but all the Agencies round here, are proper dumbed down when it comes to applications. It's probably because most the people they get in them are Jonny foreigner who can't speak English, or the chav types doing a days work for their giro entitlement. You go in and fill in the simplest of forms, nothing like a decent C.V. should look like. I know as I've done it in the past applying for jobs both through agency and employers.

I'm trying to be pro-active at the moment, as my main fear is being out of work, claiming incapacity/disability benefits and having mounting debts due to too little incomings. Just a p.i.t.a. because of my limitations on my wrist.

Ba$tard current employers won't even give me a desk job because it may involve carrying packs of printer paper once or twice a day. thats how petty they are.

84of300, that leaves me stumped lol, as the Car salesman seems out the window, and if I haven't got the character for the latter... bugger
Old 05 September 2008, 10:42 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I just don't see you putting pressure on people to stump up. You are not that hard.
Old 05 September 2008, 10:43 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
I just don't see you putting pressure on people to stump up. You are not that hard.
In your opinion

When I have to put food on the carboard box (can't afford a table), I will do what is needed.
Old 05 September 2008, 10:47 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

OK, just an opinion I formed, not a cristicism
Old 05 September 2008, 10:50 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
He doesn't need to put pressure on people, he can just talk at them until they pay him to go away
Old 05 September 2008, 10:50 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by ilogikal1
He doesn't need to put pressure on people, he can just talk at them until they pay him to go away
Old 05 September 2008, 10:54 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Forget the local agencys if they're no good, Do it online I used Foyne jones in london as they deal with builders merchants nation wide, Do a search. Trying to help.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:03 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with 84.

I've never met or spoken to you CoB, but from what has come across in your many posts on here that I have read I think you'd not get on in the Bailiff role at all. Nothing to do with being "hard" in the Grant Mitchell sense of the word either.

Car sales will be a nightmare, you'll be put under stupid pressure to close every customer that walks through the door as there is so few of them at the moment.

WRT to your existing company, as I've said to you before in a previous thread, once you started talking to them about injury claims / tribunal it's time to look for another job. This in no way a reflection on your particular case, but as an employer I can assure that as soon as those words are mentioned by somebody you do everything in your power to ensure they don't work for you again, partly in fear of even more litigation in the future.

Have you applied through any temp agencies or just recruitment?

You'll often find that temping from place to place (doing anything and everything) they'll be keen to keep you on once they see you are punctual, and actually interested in working rather than dossing around. As soon as the temp agency get good feedback about you, they will put you high up on the list and you'll get more work. You get even more good feedback, the cycle goes on and you can end up earning not bad cash with some good overtime.

What will often happen if you are a good worker is one of the places you are temping at will want to take you on, and will pay the agency an agreed fee to take you on full time. If you can stick out the first few weeks of doing crap jobs to get high up on the agency books, this can be a good way of getting a new job, as you get to "try before you buy" with the role.

Good luck with whatever you do

Last edited by Nido; 05 September 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
Totally agree with 84.

I've never met or spoken to you CoB, but from what has come across in your many posts on here that I have read I think you'd not get on in the Bailiff role at all. Nothing to do with being "hard" in the Grant Mitchell sense of the word either.

Car sales will be a nightmare, you'll be put under stupid pressure to close every customer that walks through the door as there is so few of them at the moment.

WRT to your existing company, as I've said to you before in a previous thread, once you started talking to them about injury claims / tribunal it's time to look for another job. This in no way a reflection on your particular case, but as an employer I can assure that as soon as those words are mentioned by somebody you do everything in your power to ensure they don't work for you again, partly in fear of even more litigation in the future.

Have you applied through any temp agencies or just recruitment?

You'll often find that temping from place to place (doing anything and everything) they'll be keen to keep you on once they see you are punctual, and actually interested in working rather than dossing around. As soon as the temp agency get good feedback about you, they will put you high up on the list and you'll get more work. You get even more good feedback, the cycle goes on and you can end up earning not bad cash with some good overtime.

What will often happen if you are a good worker is one of the places you are temping at will want to take you on, and will pay the agency an agreed fee to take you on full time. If you can stick out the first few weeks of doing crap jobs to get high up on the agency books, this can be a good way of getting a new job, as you get to "try before you buy" with the role.

Good luck with whatever you do
Ah, thanks for the feedback. Re. my employers, they have wanted rid of me for a while, as I'm not a sheep and stick up for myself. I have never mentioned tribunals or personal injury claims to them either. Thats dependant on what correspondance they have had with my Solicitor(s).

I've said before, my big big problem is my limitations. As Scunny is an industrial town, ost work involves physical labour. I'm so fcuked as I cant have a manual job, it does pretty much discard the major majority of work out there via agencies. My current Union rep is looking into trying to get me ona couple free computer courses for basic skills for admin jobs etc.

I do personally think I'll end up at the job centre needing a formal interview and one of the medicals they do to assess me and my capabilities. It's just mainly labouring jobs and manual lifting jobs which I can't do. Again being in this sort of town, that really pisses on my bonfire for one, and two it's the type of work I have all my experience in - bugger

I shall keep looking as i know I have to get employment, but I do worry when there are plenty of immigrant workers who will work for peanuts without knackered wrist joints

So from what people have said, the car salesman job is a no-no due to the current market and credit crunch, where as the Bailiff is a no-no as my temprement is no good. I shall scour the local rags some more...
Old 05 September 2008, 11:20 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Have you not got a forklift license ??
Why not apply to local dist companies with your CV ???
Old 05 September 2008, 11:23 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

What is wrong with your wrist (medically speaking) cob, the computer stuff may not be great if it involves lots of typing
Old 05 September 2008, 11:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Have you not got a forklift license ??
Why not apply to local dist companies with your CV ???
Noop, I cant do that either. Physician and Rheumatologist said that in the extended reports. I have to totally move away from Distribution & Warehousing, along side factory work etc., otherwise I may have got a job at the Mrs' place...

Hense why I'm trying to totally change my work path.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:26 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Noop, I cant do that either. Physician and Rheumatologist said that in the extended reports. I have to totally move away from Distribution & Warehousing, along side factory work etc., otherwise I may have got a job at the Mrs' place...

Hense why I'm trying to totally change my work path.
Driving ?

Haulage is big business & will always be needed in the UK.

Good luck no matter your path
Old 05 September 2008, 11:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

What is wrong with your wrist (medically speaking) cob, the computer stuff may not be great if it involves lots of typing
I've got a nasty form of Rheumatoid Arthritis from repetitive lifting of heavy weights to obscene heights etc. Basically a repetitive straing injury, but it's past the point of repair/worth operating on. Thats why I was so down about it, as it restricts me an awful lot now. I try not to use it as an excuse, but its embarrassing as I have no strength in my wrist any longer.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Driving ?

Haulage is big business & will always be needed in the UK.

Good luck no matter your path
Hmm, even a van driver, as most of them fall in the 3.5 tonne regs... then move onto the different classes like 7.5 tonners, or the 17.5 rigids etc. Could do.
Old 05 September 2008, 11:29 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Hmm, even a van driver, as most of them fall in the 3.5 tonne regs... then move onto the different classes like 7.5 tonners, or the 17.5 rigids etc. Could do.
Dependant on company, they may put you through the test if your a good guy
I do, if i find a "rough" diamond
Old 05 September 2008, 11:40 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Well, if it's any use I have more less the same thing, but from an accident years ago (was messed up pretty bad at the time, a year odd recovering from the many smashed up joints ).

I followed the advice of the physio, physician, rheumatologist etc, but not being allowed to do anything weight bearing I just found I had no strength, and was able to do very little, much like the situation you are in now with your wrist.

I don't know why to this day, for some reason my body was just telling me it was the wrong thing to be doing. So I started doing more and more heavy, physical stuff. Yes of course it hurt like **** at first, but after a while my stregth got better and better and better. As the muscles developed more they seemed to be able to take the strain away from the affected areas, and after about three years my body had adapted, and I'm now probably fitter than average.

Yes on the odd cold wet day it all still aches a bit, but nothing like it used to. Yes I'll perhaps suffer more much later in life, but sod it, I'd rather have a much higher quality of life now and cross that bridge when it comes.

Basically don't take what the medical guys tell you as gospel, the standard line for those sorts of problems is don't use it much, but in my personal experience the more exercise I do the better I feel, 10 years odd on I'm in the best shape I've ever been!

The human body is an incredible thing, able to adapt in so many ways, don't let it stop you

Last edited by Nido; 05 September 2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06 September 2008, 07:11 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Well, if it's any use I have more less the same thing, but from an accident years ago (was messed up pretty bad at the time, a year odd recovering from the many smashed up joints ).

I followed the advice of the physio, physician, rheumatologist etc, but not being allowed to do anything weight bearing I just found I had no strength, and was able to do very little, much like the situation you are in now with your wrist.

I don't know why to this day, for some reason my body was just telling me it was the wrong thing to be doing. So I started doing more and more heavy, physical stuff. Yes of course it hurt like **** at first, but after a while my stregth got better and better and better. As the muscles developed more they seemed to be able to take the strain away from the affected areas, and after about three years my body had adapted, and I'm now probably fitter than average.

Yes on the odd cold wet day it all still aches a bit, but nothing like it used to. Yes I'll perhaps suffer more much later in life, but sod it, I'd rather have a much higher quality of life now and cross that bridge when it comes.

Basically don't take what the medical guys tell you as gospel, the standard line for those sorts of problems is don't use it much, but in my personal experience the more exercise I do the better I feel, 10 years odd on I'm in the best shape I've ever been!

The human body is an incredible thing, able to adapt in so many ways, don't let it stop you

I have a a feeling as we have sustained the injuries in different ways, I really shouldn't be lifting heavy stuff to counter the arthritis

I sustained an injury about 5 years ago, tried to get into my watch ti fix it with a big ol' knife. Straight across the knuckle on my left index finger. Did all the repair work and stitching at the hospital and the physio, but to this day I have never really recovered all feeling or strength in the finger itself. That was the tendons I ripped through like a pillock I was.

This thing with my wrist is totally different. Its ligaments and all sorts. Basically I can tell when I've had a flare up, as the ligaments swell so much physically you can see on my wrist. The last time I had a major flare up, my wrist was totally unusuable for 2 weeks. I mean unuseable as in couldn't pick up a pencil to write, couldn't drive etc, I couldn't even wash myself unless I swapped hands. Honestly it was like being disabled and I didn't like it. There is nothing in my joint when this happens. Obviously I'm not a doctor, but if I can't physically lift say an oven tray to cook something without having to support it on both lower arms (ouch!) then I really don't think I wanna be trying to overload the wrist and do extra weights. Muscles are ok I think, but the connections etc are totally knackered. I really don't think it's to do with my body structure, but the severe pressure i have been put under. Helped by the fact others at work are now starting to complain.

I'm not trying to argue your point Nido, as the action you took for your recovery certainly worked as you've explained it, but I really know it wouldn't for me, as i would simply drop everything. The sharp shooting pains through my lower arm to my joint and then to my hand signify I'm over doing it. Dropping countless glasses, cups etc. when I get a flare up is testiment. A fear of mine is hurting someone else through my actions when I know I'm not 100%, which could involve the most mundane of things we take for granted.

Thanks for the input anyways.
Old 06 September 2008, 09:16 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Bailiff ? Car Salesman ? - why not add traffic warden and estate agent and you can have the full set of the most hated people in britain

Seriously though, dont think car sales is a very secure job - can see most places will be laying people off for the next couple of years rather than taking them on.
Old 06 September 2008, 09:24 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

You've lost me re. tribunal. Wednesday was my appeal hearing with regards to my dismissal on August 5th. I said it wasn't looking good, as i was hoping they may find me alternative employment within the company, but they seem adament they haven't got anything. So it looks like I will be evaluating it with my Solicitor to see if I have grounds for a tribunal. If not, I get over it, find another job working in a gutter and await the personal injury claim to process over the next 3 years.

Back on topic...
Quote" After a non to confidence inducing appeal at my employers Wednesday just gone" unquote

the way i read it is "after a no appeal, wednesday just gone"

hence my post

Mart
Old 06 September 2008, 10:10 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what I did mate, and when I signed onto the old king cole, they actually paid for me to pass my hgv test I actually got laid off about 4 weeks ago, and found another job yesterday, so there is work out there for drivers if you look. they have told me I will be earning about £450 per week take home.

hth

james
Old 06 September 2008, 10:33 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Andy,

Discount multi-drop driving(what I do), if you're medically unable to drive a forklift now. Lots of heavy lifting etc.
Old 06 September 2008, 11:27 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

CoB, at the end of the day you can always try something even if you think {or others} you are not exactly suit for it as oten these roles are not what they seem. I would imagine the Balif one would probably be quite hard for its own reasons as trying to get people to part with money, goods etc is never easy, the other point also would be if it is a singular person role or if you do it as part of a team as on balance if it is team lead {2 or more visiting} then I would imagine within the pair or more of people they would want almost a good cop bad cop situation as 2 heavies going in would have the same effect as 2 softies {for want of a better word} however for maximum result I would think an equal mix {one of each} would provide the best result as ti covers the most scenarios.

As far as Car sales goes this would depend alot on the brand being sold plus if it was new or used.
If you was to be offered to work selling massive gas guzzler 4x4's any one would sensibly run a mile from that role, however if you were selling used family cars or new koren for instance then the chance of a sale is assumed to be higher, neither would be easy but it is about what is popular at the given time.

Just my opinion from what I have seen over my 36 years of life

Either way only you can make a decision and sometimes when needs must people can even suprise themselves.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever worked as a Baliff or Car salesman?